Default Takoes Recipe

I need a recipe for Takoes or Takos. I recently had them at La or Le
Consuelos Restaurant in Palm Springs and would like to have a recipe.
I especially liked the grated parmesan cheese on the tops and the
crunchy shells used.
They also had some green mushy stuff that some people put on top of
these half moon pies. They are also filled with shredded lettuce,
chopeed onions, chopped tomatoes, and some beans.
They also served beans and a red rice. I have never seen beans served
in this manner but they were kinda squished with yellow melting cheese
on top.
At the beginning of the meal they served some more of the crunches with
the green mushy stuff (it may have been made of green peas with spices)
and some red chili type stuff with onions and tomatoes and green stuff
in a broth.
Sorry my descriptions are so poor but I can only describe what I saw and
ate not by name. No disrespect intended.

Carol Klarr

I think you must mean tacos? I am from New Mexico and I can supply you with
recipes that are used here in this region.

Tacos:

1 pound ground beef or turkey
2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
1/2 tspn salt
1 tblspn chile powder
1/4 cup flour
approx. 1/2 cup water
boxed taco shells

Brown meat in skillet with salt and garlic. When meat is cooked add flour
and chile powder. Cook about a minute and then add the water, a little at a
time. Simmer until slightly thick but still a little juicy.

Heat taco shells in the oven about 5 minutes. Fill halfway with meat and top
with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese and chopped tomatoes. Serve with
salsa.

The green mushy stuff was probably guacamole. It's made from mashed
avocados, onion, tomatoes, chopped jalapeno (optional) salt and garlic to
taste. Add a little lemon juice to keep it from turning black. Refrigerate
before serving.

Hope you enjoy.

news