Shelora

Default Annual radish festival in Oaxaca

Does anyone know if radishes are indigenous to Mexico? The annual
radish carving festival that takes place in Oaxaca round Christmas
time is some kind of wonderful. The radishes are gi-normous and
perfect for carving as they must be awfully woody to eat.
This special day is like a harvest festival, but was wondering if
anyone knew the origins of the day or where this vegetables came from?
I have seen radishes served as a salad side dish and is wonderful
dipped in guacamole.
Any help appreciated.
Shelora
Jay P Francis

They're from the New World and indigenous to Mexico.
Charles Gifford

"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> They're from the New World and indigenous to Mexico.

Actually they are from Asia. Here is a bit from "foodrefrence.com".

Charlie

"DID YOU KNOW?
Radishes were first cultivated thousands of years ago in China, then in
Egypt and Greece. Radishes were so highly regarded in Greece that gold
replicas were made. The radish did not make its way to England until
approximately 1548. By 1629 they were being cultivated in Massachusetts."

BW

All Mexico afficiondaos might enjoy reading Gavin Menzies book "1421,
The Year China Discovered America." It builds a compelling and
ironclad case for "earlier than Columbus" contact with the new world.
Helps explain how new world foods like corn and chilis ended up as
staples of Asian diet as well as the intro of asian foods in Mexico.

Brook
Shelora

Thanks BW. I ran right out and bought the book, just came out in paperback.

BW > wrote in message news:<300120040730455021%brook.nospam.watts@comcas t.net>...
> All Mexico afficiondaos might enjoy reading Gavin Menzies book "1421,
> The Year China Discovered America." It builds a compelling and
> ironclad case for "earlier than Columbus" contact with the new world.
> Helps explain how new world foods like corn and chilis ended up as
> staples of Asian diet as well as the intro of asian foods in Mexico.
>
> Brook

Charles Gifford

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks BW. I ran right out and bought the book, just came out in

paperback.

I am not familiar with this particular book but it sounds like a rehash of
various theories dating back at least 75 years. This import from Asia thing
has been discredited and is not accepted by almost all Anthropologists.

Charlie

William Jennings

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know if radishes are indigenous to Mexico? The annual
> radish carving festival that takes place in Oaxaca round Christmas
> time is some kind of wonderful.

Here's a page on the festival:
http://www.jetsettersmagazine.com/ar...sh/radish.html

I'm surffing and planning a little trip to Paracho via Mexico City and
happened on that site.

doc

Peggy

I think Europeans have been eating radishes for a long time...
"Raphanus sativus. Radish.
....Radish are eaten raw with bread in stead of other food... for the most
part, they are vsed in sauce with meates to procure appetite, and in that
sort they ingender blood lesse faulty, than eaten alone or with bread
onely..."

John Gerard's
Herball or General Historie of Plantes

1633

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know if radishes are indigenous to Mexico? The annual
> radish carving festival that takes place in Oaxaca round Christmas
> time is some kind of wonderful. The radishes are gi-normous and
> perfect for carving as they must be awfully woody to eat.
> This special day is like a harvest festival, but was wondering if
> anyone knew the origins of the day or where this vegetables came from?
> I have seen radishes served as a salad side dish and is wonderful
> dipped in guacamole.
> Any help appreciated.
> Shelora

Rich McCormack

Peggy wrote:

> I think Europeans have been eating radishes for a long time...
> "Raphanus sativus. Radish.
> ...Radish are eaten raw with bread in stead of other food... for the most
> part, they are vsed in sauce with meates to procure appetite, and in that
> sort they ingender blood lesse faulty, than eaten alone or with bread
> onely..."
>
> John Gerard's
> Herball or General Historie of Plantes

Radishes were considered a divine aphrodisiac by the Egyptian pharoahs.
I consider them a necessary garnish for Pozole, something I haven't
made for years. I'll have to remedy that...