Karen O'Mara

Default Can chili verde be the color purple?

Just kidding about the purple part, but I wanted to have a snappy
subject header.

Today, I went out to lunch with a few friends from work to a Mexican
restaurant in Menlo Park (Del Sol for those who are interested).

One of my friends brought up the subject of the chili verde and asked
if it was pork. The rest of us all agreed that it was pork, but one
friend insisted that chili verde is oftentimes the color RED, and
sometimes no color, just a simmered pork with spices, and never green.
I thought chili verde was always GREEN. It translates green (verde)
but now I am wondering if it could sometimes not mean the color, but
something more generic... like mole can be generic and varying.

Who is right?

Thank you in advance for your help on this. The recipe I have for
chili verde is pork, tomatillos, peppers, oregano, sage, onion,
etc..., all green, no red stuff.

Karen
Mr. Wizard

"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
om...
> Just kidding about the purple part, but I wanted to have a snappy
> subject header.
>
> Today, I went out to lunch with a few friends from work to a Mexican
> restaurant in Menlo Park (Del Sol for those who are interested).
>
> One of my friends brought up the subject of the chili verde and asked
> if it was pork. The rest of us all agreed that it was pork, but one
> friend insisted that chili verde is oftentimes the color RED, and
> sometimes no color, just a simmered pork with spices, and never green.

<snip>
This is an Alien from Bootawngee and must be terminated.

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:28:04 -0500, "Bob Dietz"
> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On 27 Jan 2004 15:16:45 -0800, (Karen O'Mara)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >One of my friends brought up the subject of the chili verde and asked
>> >if it was pork. The rest of us all agreed that it was pork, but one
>> >friend insisted that chili verde is oftentimes the color RED, and
>> >sometimes no color, just a simmered pork with spices, and never green.

>> Chile verde is never red. Otherwise it would be chile colorado.
>> (not the 'chile' instead of 'chili' as well).
>>
>> Serching Google for "Red Chile Verde" returns 3 hits. That's
>> Statistically Zero in the current Internet age. One of the hits
>> is referring to the restaurant Puerto Allegra on Valencia at 16th,
>> so maybe this is a common Bay Area *******iaztion.

>I just did a search on "chile verde" + "tomato" and got 2090 hits.

That's hardly fair, not that my Google search proves anything
either. The green chiles should far outweigh any tomato in an
authentic recipe. Many of those of the results from your search
include tomato as a condiment. None of the recipes I saw would
color the chile red.

I just searched for chili verde and corn, and got 2,500 hits. Is
corn an ingredient in chili verde?

But more to the point - yes, chile verde implies made with green
instead of red chiles. Most good recipes will also call for
tomatillos, both of which would make the dish predominately green.

>It's not that rare.

A tomato in chile verde? No. Red chile verde? Yes. It's rare.

-sw
The Ranger

Bob Dietz >, in message
, corrected Steve Wertz
> with:
> > >One of my friends brought up the subject of the chili
> > >verde and asked if it was pork. The rest of us all agreed
> > >that it was pork, but one friend insisted that chili verde
> > >is oftentimes the color RED, and sometimes no color,
> > >just a simmered pork with spices, and never green.
> > >

> > Chile verde is never red. Otherwise it would be chile
> > colorado. (not the 'chile' instead of 'chili' as well).

[snip]
> I was more of the impression that the "verde" part meant
> that chiles used were green, rather than that the whole dish
> was necessarily that color. I've seen it served with tomatos
> added, giving the whole a red effect -- not that I like it that
> way.

I'm guessing that some of the recipes out there "translated" tomatillo
into tomato, too, hence the inaccuracy of that search using "tomato."

As far as "green" coloring, the tomatillo helps enhance the verde from
the chilis and cilantro. I can't think of one instant I've seen a chile
rojo-verde. If the chili is red, it's universally called chile colorado;
if it's green it's been universally labeled chile verde. (BTW: No corn
or tomatoes need apply, either.)

The Ranger

Bob Dietz

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:28:04 -0500, "Bob Dietz"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> >> On 27 Jan 2004 15:16:45 -0800, (Karen O'Mara)
> >> wrote:
> >>

> That's hardly fair, not that my Google search proves anything
> either. The green chiles should far outweigh any tomato in an
> authentic recipe. Many of those of the results from your search
> include tomato as a condiment. None of the recipes I saw would
> color the chile red.
>
> I just searched for chili verde and corn, and got 2,500 hits. Is
> corn an ingredient in chili verde?

Actually, I seen lots recipes that use either corn meal or corn starch as a
thickener, so I'd say yes.

> But more to the point - yes, chile verde implies made with green
> instead of red chiles. Most good recipes will also call for
> tomatillos, both of which would make the dish predominately green.

Your definitition of "good" is pretty much the same mine, but unfortunately,
it's not everyones.

> >It's not that rare.

> A tomato in chile verde? No. Red chile verde? Yes. It's rare.

Most of the times that I've seen tomato in chile verde, it's been kinda
reddish. I also make it a point to never order chile verde in that
particular restaurant again.

Either of these, I think, would be somewhere between green and brown:

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/a...5/rec0501.html

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/wraps/wraps77.html

(just random samples from the search that I did.)

I hoping that's what the op meant by "red" chile verde.

This one has red chile as well tomato (not to mention being made with pollo,
not cerdo):

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/so...verde_hhh.html

It doesn't even sound appetizing to me, but somebody must like it, and I'll
bet there's a definite reddish tinge to the result.

I agree though, I prefer chile verde to be verde.

Bob Dietz

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:32:51 -0500, "Bob Dietz"
> wrote:

>Actually, I seen lots recipes that use either corn meal or corn starch as a
>thickener, so I'd say yes.

Eww. I see people do this to regular chili and it's my opinion
that they just don't know how to make it correctly.

>Most of the times that I've seen tomato in chile verde, it's been kinda
>reddish. I also make it a point to never order chile verde in that
>particular restaurant again.
>
>Either of these, I think, would be somewhere between green and brown:

There are going to be variances on every recipe/dish out there.
Ossu bucco made with lamb, pineapple on pizza, Miracle Whip on
sandwiches. Some stuff is just 'not right'.

-sw
The Ranger

Steve Wertz > wrote in message
[snip]
> [..] Miracle Whip on sandwiches. Some stuff is just 'not
> right'.

HEY!

The Ranger

Linda

Hi Karen,
Chile Verde is green, usually made from green chiles and tomatillos.

Linda
"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
om...
> Just kidding about the purple part, but I wanted to have a snappy
> subject header.
>
> Today, I went out to lunch with a few friends from work to a Mexican
> restaurant in Menlo Park (Del Sol for those who are interested).
>
> One of my friends brought up the subject of the chili verde and asked
> if it was pork. The rest of us all agreed that it was pork, but one
> friend insisted that chili verde is oftentimes the color RED, and
> sometimes no color, just a simmered pork with spices, and never green.
> I thought chili verde was always GREEN. It translates green (verde)
> but now I am wondering if it could sometimes not mean the color, but
> something more generic... like mole can be generic and varying.
>
> Who is right?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help on this. The recipe I have for
> chili verde is pork, tomatillos, peppers, oregano, sage, onion,
> etc..., all green, no red stuff.
>
> Karen

Rich McCormack

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Just kidding about the purple part, but I wanted to have a snappy
> subject header.

Purple? Not that I make...but a little purple onion would certainly
be a viable ingredient.

I got a couple ways of making chile verde...green and not-so-green.
For the green, I use chopped pork, tomatillos, green chiles and white
onions along with Mexican oregano, cumin, salt and ground white pepper.
For the cooking liquid I use my homemade salsa verde, pureed and
watered down a bit with chicken broth or maybe a little dry white
wine...if I so choose.

For the "not so green" I use most everything above, but replace the
salsa verde with just plain chicken broth. I've been known to add
chopped tomatoes to the not-so-green but not the green...and, hominy
to either one. Which one I make depends on my mood and what I've got
on hand. Both turn out pretty tasty, IMHO.

Rich
Charles Gifford

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> Karen O'Mara wrote:
> >
> > Just kidding about the purple part, but I wanted to have a snappy
> > subject header.

> Purple? Not that I make...but a little purple onion would certainly
> be a viable ingredient.

Hey Rich! According to Rick Bayless there are such things as purple
tomatillos. He showed some from his garden on one of his programs.

Charlie

David Wright

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:33:07 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
>>
>> Karen O'Mara wrote:
>> >
>> > Just kidding about the purple part, but I wanted to have a snappy
>> > subject header.

>> Purple? Not that I make...but a little purple onion would certainly
>> be a viable ingredient.

>Hey Rich! According to Rick Bayless there are such things as purple
>tomatillos. He showed some from his garden on one of his programs.
>
>Charlie

Dang -- I missed that show, but do know about the purple tomatillos. I
ordered green ones instead, from Seeds of Change, but here's a link to
the purple ones: http://tinyurl.com/yskjx

David

Linda

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:33:07 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:

> >> Purple? Not that I make...but a little purple onion would certainly
> >> be a viable ingredient.

> >Hey Rich! According to Rick Bayless there are such things as purple
> >tomatillos. He showed some from his garden on one of his programs.
> >
> >Charlie

> Dang -- I missed that show, but do know about the purple tomatillos. I
> ordered green ones instead, from Seeds of Change, but here's a link to
> the purple ones: http://tinyurl.com/yskjx
>
> David

...But if you use purple tomatillos then chile verde would not be chile verde
would it?

Linda

Rich McCormack

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
> >
> > Karen O'Mara wrote:
> > >
> > > Just kidding about the purple part, but I wanted to have a snappy
> > > subject header.

> > Purple? Not that I make...but a little purple onion would certainly
> > be a viable ingredient.

> Hey Rich! According to Rick Bayless there are such things as purple
> tomatillos. He showed some from his garden on one of his programs.
>
> Charlie

I've never seen nor heard of a purple tomatillo. On a recent trip
to the local Farmer's Market in Poway, Patti brought back a selection
of heirloom tomatoes. One was a green tomato about the size of
a tomatillo that turned purple as it ripened. It didn't have a husk,
so I'd have to say it wasn't a tomatillo. Don't think I ever got
a taste of it, it was on the counter one day and gone the next.

Rich
David Wright

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:09:17 -0800, "Linda" >
wrote:

>"David Wright" > wrote in message

>> Dang -- I missed that show, but do know about the purple tomatillos. I
>> ordered green ones instead, from Seeds of Change, but here's a link to
>> the purple ones: http://tinyurl.com/yskjx
>>
>> David

>..But if you use purple tomatillos then chile verde would not be chile verde
>would it?
>
>Linda

No, but the chile could still be verde, it would just get overwhelmed
by the purple tomatillos. Now I think I'll order some of those purple
tomatillo seeds, just because I can! ;-)

David

Bob Dietz

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> I've never seen nor heard of a purple tomatillo. On a recent trip
> to the local Farmer's Market in Poway, Patti brought back a selection
> of heirloom tomatoes. One was a green tomato about the size of
> a tomatillo that turned purple as it ripened. It didn't have a husk,
> so I'd have to say it wasn't a tomatillo. Don't think I ever got
> a taste of it, it was on the counter one day and gone the next.

I've seen pictures of them.

There are also purple chiles, usually grown for ornamental purposes. These
I've actually seen. The chiles are the size of chile pequins. When I visited
the Alamo, of all places, a few years back, some were growing in a little
garden there.

Bob Dietz

Charles Gifford

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:09:17 -0800, "Linda" >
> wrote:
>
> >"David Wright" > wrote in message

> >> Dang -- I missed that show, but do know about the purple tomatillos. I
> >> ordered green ones instead, from Seeds of Change, but here's a link to
> >> the purple ones: http://tinyurl.com/yskjx
> >>
> >> David

> >..But if you use purple tomatillos then chile verde would not be chile

verde
> >would it?
> >
> >Linda

> No, but the chile could still be verde, it would just get overwhelmed
> by the purple tomatillos. Now I think I'll order some of those purple
> tomatillo seeds, just because I can! ;-)
>
> David

Rick Bayless said he liked the flavor of the purple ones best but they would
have looked bad in the dish he was making. I have forgotten what it was he
was cooking.

Charlie

David Wright

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:54:27 -0500, "Bob Dietz"
> wrote:

>"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've never seen nor heard of a purple tomatillo. On a recent trip
>> to the local Farmer's Market in Poway, Patti brought back a selection
>> of heirloom tomatoes. One was a green tomato about the size of
>> a tomatillo that turned purple as it ripened. It didn't have a husk,
>> so I'd have to say it wasn't a tomatillo. Don't think I ever got
>> a taste of it, it was on the counter one day and gone the next.
>>

>I've seen pictures of them.

And there is a picture at that site I mentioned earlier:
http://tinyurl.com/yskjx

David
Thurman

Bob Dietz wrote:
>>I've never seen nor heard of a purple tomatillo. On a recent trip
>>to the local Farmer's Market in Poway, Patti brought back a selection
>>of heirloom tomatoes.

> I've seen pictures of them.
>
> There are also purple chiles, usually grown for ornamental purposes. These
> I've actually seen. The chiles are the size of chile pequins. When I visited
> the Alamo, of all places, a few years back, some were growing in a little
> garden there.

My Fort Worth source for things chiles related is
http://www.penderys.com/ As you will see they are in their
133rd year in business.

The owners might respond to email questions.