Old 24-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Jim Lane

Default tacos tapatios

Mr. Wizard wrote:

"Girly" wrote in message
om...

Are tacos tapatios and flautas the same thing? If not, what is the

difference?

A true Taco Tapatio is served like a sandwich.
It is made by placing the filling on top of a tortilla
and frying them in a skillet, then covering with cheese
and another tortilla and flipping over just like a grilled cheese.

I know these as huaraches both from Jalisco and from Baja. Then there
was the vampiro. . .

jim

Old 24-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Wayne Lundberg

"BW" wrote in message
news:230120042105593572%[email protected] .net...

..snip

Wayne, your normally accurate depiction of Mexican food culture is off
here. Your description of pulque is correct however Mexcal and Tequila
use the fully harvested (ie, cut out of the ground) corazon del maguey
cooked to convert the starches to sugar, squeezed then distilled into
liqour. They are not distilled from pulque.

You are technically correct and of course real Tequila must come from the
town of Tequila and is made under a very specific NOM... but I have seen
Mezcal made from aguamiel, which is pulque fermented... Perhaps not a legal
label, but like backyard aguardiente made from sugar cane, some mezcales are
made from pulque. Pulque contains about 12 alcohol; same as a wine, and the
alcohol is distilled from it. Blame the Spanish because before them the
Amerindians only had corn beer and pulque to get drunk with. I think.

Wayne

Old 27-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Steve Wertz

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:13:58 -0600, "Jack Sloan"
wrote:

Very interesting...Around here (Houston area) if you order tacos de barbacoa
they claim it to be meat from the face of a cow.

It's beef cheek meat. It's like this in all of Texas and
California in my experience, though it's traditionally lamb (or
even goat). Heck, even HEB sells a prepared "barbacoa" - which is
simply cooked beef cheek meat/spices.

You can tell identify cooked cheek meat by it's sticky, glutinous
properties. Nothing like a chuck roast.

-sw
Old 27-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Jack Sloan

wrote:

Very interesting...Around here (Houston area) if you order tacos de

barbacoa
they claim it to be meat from the face of a cow.

It's beef cheek meat. It's like this in all of Texas and
California in my experience, though it's traditionally lamb (or
even goat). Heck, even HEB sells a prepared "barbacoa" - which is
simply cooked beef cheek meat/spices.

You can tell identify cooked cheek meat by it's sticky, glutinous
properties. Nothing like a chuck roast.

-sw

Steve, you are exactly right . You can tell the difference. Mostly it's not
face meat , but usually it's good anyway.
Jack

Old 27-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Karen O'Mara

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
Taquitos came from Mac's drive in in Albuquerque. The world's
greasiest. They were deep-fried flautas with perhaps a teaspoon of
mystery meat enclosed, and served with tiny, tiny cups of either hot
red or "guacamole" sauce. Almost guaranteed to produce indigestion in
even the resilient guts of teenagers. But delicious. :-)

tacos -- the January issue of Bon Appetit features "rib eye tacos
with onion jam and horseradish creme fraiche." This concoction is
sesrved on flour tortillas trimmed to 5" squares and warmed in the
oven.

So taco, taquito, flauta, and heaven knows what other names are used
for *anything* that involves a corn or flour tortilla. Not to say that
anything involving a tortilla is necessarily one of the above. No
solid ground at all.

Today, I had potato taquitos at lunchtime. The restaurant brought us
some as complimentary appetizers. They were really good. Am thinking
this preparation is more like a Spanish tapas thing?...

Karen
Old 28-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Bob Dietz

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
om...
Frogleg wrote in message

. ..

Today, I had potato taquitos at lunchtime. The restaurant brought us
some as complimentary appetizers. They were really good. Am thinking
this preparation is more like a Spanish tapas thing?...

I don't think so. Potatos have been eaten in Mexico since pre-Columbian
times. From what I'm given to understand is that potato tacos, rolled and
steamed, are quite common.

Bob Dietz

Old 29-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Member

Location: San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girly View Post
Are tacos tapatios and flautas the same thing? If not, what is the difference?
To my knowledge, tacos tapatios are corn tortilla filled with meat, rolled and deep fried. They are served by the half dozen topped with shredded cabbage and crema fresca casera. Flautas are large flour tortillas filled with meat, rolled, deep fried, and served with salsa. Flautas are usually longer than the taco tapatios due to the size of the tortillas. I may be different in other areas, but this is usually how it is served on the Texas/Mexico border.

Tacos Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 22-10-2011 04:24 PM
Tacos Andy[_15_] General Cooking 66 17-03-2009 12:36 AM
Tacos al Pastor Rolly Mexican Cooking 3 04-01-2009 08:23 PM
TACOS PENMART01 General Cooking 12 05-02-2004 12:58 AM