Shelora

Default ice cream

Here is an easy and excellent ice cream recipe from our house guest
Reyna Mendoza from Teotitlan del Valle in Oaxaca.

Helado de Platano, Piloncillo y Nuez
(Banana, Piloncillo and Pecan Ice Cream)
Serves 8 -12

Ingredients

8 very ripe bananas, peeled and frozen

3/4 cup grated piloncillo lightly packed

1 Tbsp. water

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup finely chopped lightly toasted pecans.

Method:

In a small heavy sauce pan add the grated piloncillo and water, cook
over low heat, stirring until everything is melted. Remove to cool to
room temperature. Toast the chopped pecans in a 350 F. oven for approx
8 minutes, remove from the heat as soon as they release their aroma.
Cool.
Break apart the roughly chop the frozen bananas. Place in the blender
with the cooled pilocillo syrup, cream and lastly bananas, blend
pushing down the mixture so that everything blends to a smooth "mush".
Fold in the toasted pecans to the mixture and add everything to the
ice cream machine. Follow machine instructions. Since this mixture is
already cold and thick it will not take long to freeze - 10 minutes or
so. Transfer to a container and let set in the freezer for another 30
minutes before serving.

Buen Provecho!
Dave

Sounds great, but what is piloncillo?

Thanks,

Dave

Douglas S. Ladden

"Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> on 17 Jan 2004 suggested:

> Sounds great, but what is piloncillo?

Piloncillo is Mexican dark brown sugar. These sugar cones have a
very high molasses content. The sugar is useful in any recipe that calls
for dark brown sugar. Please see
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?p=135 for more information and a
photograph of piloncillo.

--Douglas
Shelora

Oh, sorry. Piloncillo is the often cone-shaped raw sugar commonly used
in Mexico.
It is sometimes called panela as well. You could substitute a good
quality dark brown sugar. India uses something called jaggery that is
quite similiar, but if you have a Mexican food market near you, ask
for panela or piloncillo.

"Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message >...
> Sounds great, but what is piloncillo?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Dave

Great, I've seen it at our local mercado, but didn't know what it was
called.

So you have to grate it to break it up?

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Oh, sorry. Piloncillo is the often cone-shaped raw sugar commonly used
> in Mexico.
> It is sometimes called panela as well. You could substitute a good
> quality dark brown sugar. India uses something called jaggery that is
> quite similiar, but if you have a Mexican food market near you, ask
> for panela or piloncillo.
>

> "Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message

> > Sounds great, but what is piloncillo?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave

Shelora

Grating is probably the easiest. For this recipe it is the easiest. I
have often shaved it off with a sharp knife.
If the piloncillo is harder than hard, I would suggest melting it down
to make a sugar syrup. This way you have it at the ready to sweeten
agua frescas or margaritas or sorbets.

"Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message >...
> Great, I've seen it at our local mercado, but didn't know what it was
> called.
>
> So you have to grate it to break it up?
>

> "Shelora" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Oh, sorry. Piloncillo is the often cone-shaped raw sugar commonly used
> > in Mexico.
> > It is sometimes called panela as well. You could substitute a good
> > quality dark brown sugar. India uses something called jaggery that is
> > quite similiar, but if you have a Mexican food market near you, ask
> > for panela or piloncillo.
> >

> > "Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message

> > > Sounds great, but what is piloncillo?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Dave

Dave

Sweeten margaritas? Now you have my full attention. Do you have any
"authentic" margarita recipes using piloncillo?

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Grating is probably the easiest. For this recipe it is the easiest. I
> have often shaved it off with a sharp knife.
> If the piloncillo is harder than hard, I would suggest melting it down
> to make a sugar syrup. This way you have it at the ready to sweeten
> agua frescas or margaritas or sorbets.
>

> "Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message

> > Great, I've seen it at our local mercado, but didn't know what it was
> > called.
> >
> > So you have to grate it to break it up?
> >

> > "Shelora" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Oh, sorry. Piloncillo is the often cone-shaped raw sugar commonly used
> > > in Mexico.
> > > It is sometimes called panela as well. You could substitute a good
> > > quality dark brown sugar. India uses something called jaggery that is
> > > quite similiar, but if you have a Mexican food market near you, ask
> > > for panela or piloncillo.

Shelora

Hello,
Often, fresh lime juice can be overly acidic and a splash or two of
sugar syrup can do the trick to make your margarita a bit more
palatable.
Sugar syrups are a great thing to have on hand in the fridge. Whether
it is piloncillo or granulated white sugar, you can infused them with
many different flavours as well. Piloncillo, which is a darker colour,
can be infused with cinnamon and cloves, white sugar can be infused
with the rind of citrus fruits. You can sweeten coffee drinks,
sorbets, margaritas, etc.
Some of these recipes can be found in a book by Lucinda Hutson called,
Tequila, Cooking with the spirit of Mexico.
Below I am listing my friend Julie's recipe for margaritas which are
made individually, by the glass. The lime juice is done per glass
with one of those great Mexican lime squeezers. If you don't have one,
go to your nearest Latino grocery store and buy one now.

Julie's Margaritas

ice cubes in glass
1 1/2 oz tequila
under 1 oz. triple sec
juice of one big lime
Stir and taste
Sweetning, adding more lime juice, etc. if necessary.
Done.

"Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message >...
> Sweeten margaritas? Now you have my full attention. Do you have any
> "authentic" margarita recipes using piloncillo?
>

> "Shelora" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Grating is probably the easiest. For this recipe it is the easiest. I
> > have often shaved it off with a sharp knife.
> > If the piloncillo is harder than hard, I would suggest melting it down
> > to make a sugar syrup. This way you have it at the ready to sweeten
> > agua frescas or margaritas or sorbets.
> >

> > "Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message

> > > Great, I've seen it at our local mercado, but didn't know what it was
> > > called.
> > >
> > > So you have to grate it to break it up?
> > >

> > > "Shelora" > wrote in message
> > > om...

Dave

Muchos gracias!

I do have a lime squeezer. We stayed at a little resort in Punta Bete last
year and I commented to the owner (who makes a very similar Margarita) that
his lime squeezer was very slick and that I would have to get one myself.
The next afternoon he gave me one that he had bought that morning. Gotta
love that. The one I have works best on smaller limes (limones mexicana?),
not the giant American ones.

Can you just melt the piloncillo by itself, or do you need to add some
water? Does it have to be in a double boiler?

Again, thanks,

Dave

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
> Often, fresh lime juice can be overly acidic and a splash or two of
> sugar syrup can do the trick to make your margarita a bit more
> palatable.
> Sugar syrups are a great thing to have on hand in the fridge. Whether
> it is piloncillo or granulated white sugar, you can infused them with
> many different flavours as well. Piloncillo, which is a darker colour,
> can be infused with cinnamon and cloves, white sugar can be infused
> with the rind of citrus fruits. You can sweeten coffee drinks,
> sorbets, margaritas, etc.
> Some of these recipes can be found in a book by Lucinda Hutson called,
> Tequila, Cooking with the spirit of Mexico.
> Below I am listing my friend Julie's recipe for margaritas which are
> made individually, by the glass. The lime juice is done per glass
> with one of those great Mexican lime squeezers. If you don't have one,
> go to your nearest Latino grocery store and buy one now.
>
> Julie's Margaritas
>
> ice cubes in glass
> 1 1/2 oz tequila
> under 1 oz. triple sec
> juice of one big lime
> Stir and taste
> Sweetning, adding more lime juice, etc. if necessary.
> Done.
>

> "Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message

> > Sweeten margaritas? Now you have my full attention. Do you have any
> > "authentic" margarita recipes using piloncillo?
> >

> > "Shelora" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Grating is probably the easiest. For this recipe it is the easiest. I
> > > have often shaved it off with a sharp knife.
> > > If the piloncillo is harder than hard, I would suggest melting it down
> > > to make a sugar syrup. This way you have it at the ready to sweeten
> > > agua frescas or margaritas or sorbets.

was

used

is

ask

Shelora

I would recommend melting the piloncillo (if it is brick-hard), by
first smashing it into smaller pieces with a hammer or like object.
Add just about a 1/4 cup water and with medium high heat, let the
mixture melt.
All this talk about margaritas has got me chilling some glasses right
now.
Cheers,
Shelora

"Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message >...
> Muchos gracias!
>
> I do have a lime squeezer. We stayed at a little resort in Punta Bete last
> year and I commented to the owner (who makes a very similar Margarita) that
> his lime squeezer was very slick and that I would have to get one myself.
> The next afternoon he gave me one that he had bought that morning. Gotta
> love that. The one I have works best on smaller limes (limones mexicana?),
> not the giant American ones.
>
> Can you just melt the piloncillo by itself, or do you need to add some
> water? Does it have to be in a double boiler?
>
> Again, thanks,
>
> Dave
>

> "Shelora" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hello,
> > Often, fresh lime juice can be overly acidic and a splash or two of
> > sugar syrup can do the trick to make your margarita a bit more
> > palatable.
> > Sugar syrups are a great thing to have on hand in the fridge. Whether
> > it is piloncillo or granulated white sugar, you can infused them with
> > many different flavours as well. Piloncillo, which is a darker colour,
> > can be infused with cinnamon and cloves, white sugar can be infused
> > with the rind of citrus fruits. You can sweeten coffee drinks,
> > sorbets, margaritas, etc.
> > Some of these recipes can be found in a book by Lucinda Hutson called,
> > Tequila, Cooking with the spirit of Mexico.
> > Below I am listing my friend Julie's recipe for margaritas which are
> > made individually, by the glass. The lime juice is done per glass
> > with one of those great Mexican lime squeezers. If you don't have one,
> > go to your nearest Latino grocery store and buy one now.
> >
> > Julie's Margaritas
> >
> > ice cubes in glass
> > 1 1/2 oz tequila
> > under 1 oz. triple sec
> > juice of one big lime
> > Stir and taste
> > Sweetning, adding more lime juice, etc. if necessary.
> > Done.
> >

> > "Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message

> > > Sweeten margaritas? Now you have my full attention. Do you have any
> > > "authentic" margarita recipes using piloncillo?
> > >

> > > "Shelora" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> was

> used

> is

> ask

JL?

the way I make my margaritas is very easy and cheaper and taste better

ingredients:
for 1 liter margarita
around 10 tablespoons or more(it depends hot sweet you like margaritas)
sugar or piloncillo
hot water (enough to cover the sugar)
tequila like 1/4
lemon juice 1/4
salt for the glasses

the most important step:dissolve the sugar in the hot water (you can use
the blender for a beter result)or melt the piloncillo to get sugar syrup.
add tequila, lemon juice and a lot of ice

serve in margarita glass and drink it with some nachos

enjoy it

the real recipe is with triple sec or controi, I love it with sugar

"Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> schreef in bericht
> Sweeten margaritas? Now you have my full attention. Do you have any
> "authentic" margarita recipes using piloncillo?
>

> "Shelora" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Grating is probably the easiest. For this recipe it is the easiest. I
> > have often shaved it off with a sharp knife.
> > If the piloncillo is harder than hard, I would suggest melting it down
> > to make a sugar syrup. This way you have it at the ready to sweeten
> > agua frescas or margaritas or sorbets.
> >

> > "Dave" <webkatzateudoramaildotcom> wrote in message

> > > Great, I've seen it at our local mercado, but didn't know what it was
> > > called.
> > >
> > > So you have to grate it to break it up?
> > >

> > > "Shelora" > wrote in message
> > > om...

used

is

doutcome

Default Banana leaf

Hi:
How do you soften the green banana leaf
that is use also for tamales.I have tried
to make tamales and this leafs tear.

JL?

soak it in hot water for a few minutes

jl
"doutcome" > schreef in bericht
om...
> Hi:
> How do you soften the green banana leaf
> that is use also for tamales.I have tried
> to make tamales and this leafs tear.

Linda

Here is an interesting website:
http://www.cafe-express.com/www/html...rkbarbacoa.htm

It gives a recipe for pork babacoa and explains how to soften banana leaves.

Linda
om...