FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Alameda Swap Meet (slightly OT) (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/142755-alameda-swap-meet-slightly.html)

Hoges in WA 10-12-2007 11:13 AM

Alameda Swap Meet (slightly OT)

Hi

Anyone know much about this place?

I'll be visiting the US in about a week for a month and will be in LA after
New Year.

I saw this on Anthony Bourdain and am curious as to whether it's a good
place for a day out.

There will be me, my wife, son 20 and daughter 16.

The food stalls looked ok but I wonder if there's anything else of interest?

The web address alamedaswapmeet dot com just seems to be a portal to other
things.

thanks for any local tips

Hoges in WA
as in Western Australia, not Washington.

:-/ 10-12-2007 04:29 PM

On Dec 10, 3:13�am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone know much about this place?

Yes, it's a area that's overwhelmed with illegal aliens and
gangbangers called "cholos" and drug dealers. Americans who live in
Los Angeles don't go down there.

> I saw this on Anthony Bourdain and am curious as to whether it's a good
> place for a day out.

Only if you like being stared at because you're the only White person
there. Bourdain is French-Arab and could pass for a Cuban. The cholos
would resent him a little bit less than they would resent you, but
they would look at the ear ring in his ear and consider that he might
debauch himself with them.

> There will be me, my wife, son 20 and daughter 16.

Take them to some nice sit down restaurant. Search http://www.elmerdills.com/
for really good restaurants in Southern Californa that serve Mexican,
Spanish, Peruvian, or El Salvadoran food.

I very frankly *despise* Anthony Bourdain. He likes to go slumming, so
he went to a swap meet and ate the immigrant street food, but that
doesn't make it *good* food.

> The food stalls looked ok but I wonder if there's anything else of interest?

Sure. Los Angeles has its classic tourist places like Phillipe's
(claims to have invented the french dip sandwich), and The Pantry and
Barney's Beanery, etc.

There are just too many nice places to go instead of wasting time with
a swap meet or a taco stand in the slums.

Personally, I like to get completely out of Los Angeles and head up to
Santa Barbara, 90 miles north. You can get any kind of cuisine you
want in Santa Barbara and it's an upscale city on the beach.

Hoges in WA 10-12-2007 11:11 PM

":-/" > wrote in message
On Dec 10, 3:13?am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> Hi
>

>Personally, I like to get completely out of Los Angeles and head up to

Santa Barbara, 90 miles north. You can get any kind of cuisine you
want in Santa Barbara and it's an upscale city on the beach.

Is that up that winding highway that you see on the California movies, with
the ocean on one side?

What's good up there to see and do?

BTW thanks for the tips.

Hoges in WA

:-/ 11-12-2007 12:56 AM

On Dec 10, 3:11 pm, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> ":-/" > wrote in message

> On Dec 10, 3:13?am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:>

> Is that up that winding highway that you see on the California movies, with
> the ocean on one side?

Yes. Hopefully, you will prefer natural beauty to looking at the urban
blight of Lost Angels and points south.

> What's good up there to see and do?

If you rent a car at LAX, head north on Lincoln Avenue to Santa
Monica, and then head west on Hwy 1 to Malibu, you'll pass Point Mugu,
where there's a giant rock on the shore.

That's where Spanish explorers were welcomed to California by the
peaceful Chumash Indians. By the time the Spanish were done converting
them to Roman Catholicism, there were only a handful left.

The tourist doesn't know whether to look at the ocean, the islands, or
the volcanic landscape that rose out of the ocean about two million
years ago.

That area is protected as part of the Santa Monica Mountains National
Recreation Area. If it wasn't for the vegetation on the mountains,
you'd think you were in Arizona.

You pass through bean fields to Oxnard, where you merge with Hwy 101
for about 40 miles, past Ventura where there's a Spanish mission built
in 1782 and keep going north until you get to Carpinteria, then
Montecito, and finally Santa Barbara.

You really begin to notice the beautiful landscaping along the highway
as you reach Carpinteria, which is where the Spanish explorers saw the
Chumash building their canoes on the beach.

You can eat sea food at Stearn's Pier, tour Father Junipero Serra's
Franciscan mission, visit the old Spanish presidio, and check out the
rich people's homes in the foothills. State Street is the main street
of town and all the motels and the best restaurants are along State
Street.

North of Santa Barbara, you can cross the Santa Ynez mountains, pass
man-made Lake Cachuma, and visit Buelton, a Danish village with
windmills and then you can look for Michael Jackson's Wonderland Ranch
near Los Olivos.

As long as you're that far north, you might as well continue to San
Luis Obispo, where there's another Spanish mission. You leave Hwy 101
and head west on Hwy 1 to the little town of Morro Bay where there's a
giant volcanic plug called Morro Rock. There are actually seven
volcanic plugs, but tourists have no idea what they are looking at.

After Morro Bay, Hwy 1 runs along the shore and you'll see that people
are stopping to visit Hearst Castle, which was built by the newspaper
magnate William Randolph Hearst and then given to the State of
California. It's a baroque castle, built of architectural stylings
that Hearst collected in Europe and assembled along what is called
"the Enchanted Coast".

Continuing along the coast, the road passes light houses and windswept
pine trees and ascends to run along cliffs above the ocean. You pass
through the world famous Big Sur area that has been so popular with
artists and writers and hippies.

Just before you reach Carmel, there is a nature preserve called Point
Lobos where you will be awestruck at seascapes that are often seen in
calendar art. Don't miss Point Lobos. You'll see seals and sea lions
and even sea otters.

In Carmel, you can visit the beautiful Spanish mission where the
sainted Father Serra is buried. Don't miss the awesomely beautiful 17
Mile Drive which passes world class golf courses and features
seascapes and seals and sea lions.

Past Carmel, you reach Monterey, with its famous Cannery Row, where
the Pulitzer
prize-winning author John Steinbeck wrote about the struggles of the
working class Californians during the Great Depression.

While in Monterey, you can visit the world famous Monterey Bay
Aquarium.

This excursion out of Lost Angeles should only take about two or three
days, then you can head east through Salinas, get on Hwy 101 south,
and be back in Smogangeles in about seven hours.

Then you can go to Disneyland. Alternatively,you could continue north
and visit San Francisco and enjoy that city. It's only about an 8 hour
drive back to Lost Angels if you use Interstate 5.

I always recommend heading north from Los Angeles because everything
is so overbuilt to the south....

Hoges in WA 11-12-2007 09:41 AM

":-/" > wrote in message
> On Dec 10, 3:11 pm, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
>> ":-/" > wrote in message

>> On Dec 10, 3:13?am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:>

[snipped]
> I always recommend heading north from Los Angeles because everything
> is so overbuilt to the south....

Printed. In the folder. Sounds excellent!!

thanks

Hoges in WA

Sonoran Dude[_2_] 13-12-2007 02:36 PM

Alameda Swap Meet (Welcome Back Booger)

:-/ wrote:

> I very frankly *despise* Anthony Bourdain. He likes to go slumming, so
> he went to a swap meet and ate the immigrant street food, but that
> doesn't make it *good* food.
>
>> The food stalls looked ok but I wonder if there's anything else of interest?

> Sure. Los Angeles has its classic tourist places like Phillipe's
> (claims to have invented the french dip sandwich), and The Pantry and
> Barney's Beanery, etc.
>
> There are just too many nice places to go instead of wasting time with
> a swap meet or a taco stand in the slums.

I completely disagree with you about slumming around the taco stands.
Here in Tucson our entire population is reaching 50% Hispanic and I have
blond hair and blue eyes and love to go "slum" dining in South Tucson
and eat anywhere I dam feel like and in safety. I also do a lot of
slumming in SoCal.

If you haven't noticed lately white folks are the ones going postal and
unloading the ammunition from their firearms in public areas.

Gang bangers usually don't create a ruckus around their grandmothers,
grandfathers, and baby cousins.

Personally I have not found an immigrant food vendor I haven't enjoyed
so your statement that it doesn't make it good doesn't hold water.
Always look for the one cart or truck that looks busy with lots of
patrons. Anthony Bourdain is a very entertaining and a knowledgeable
chef bringing these culinary gems to the masses.

Glad to see that you are feeling better booger

:-/ 13-12-2007 03:55 PM

Alameda Swap Meet (Welcome Back Booger)

> I completely disagree with you about slumming around the taco stands.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree.

You have graphically described your debauched antics in bars and your
bout
with diarrhea in a boat, after drinking straight chile sauce to prove
how "macho" you were.

You think that Mexican food is about eating a lot of offal tacos and
guzzling a
lot of Mexican beer and making yourself sick, and I disagree with that
approach.

> Here in Tucson our entire population is reaching 50% Hispanic and I

have
> blond hair and blue eyes and love to go "slum" dining in South Tucson
> and eat anywhere I dam feel like and in safety. I also do a lot of
> slumming in SoCal.

Here in California's central valley, Whites are outnumbered two to one
by
illegal aliens and I only visit upscale sit down Mexican restaurants.

The county board of supervisors is cracking down on the taco trucks
who park in
front of licensed restaurants, they have enacted an ordinance that
makes them move every half hour.

Taco trucks are supposed to provide a mobile food service to
industrial areas, not to
set up an unregulated business along the highway.

> Gang bangers usually don't create a ruckus around their grandmothers,
> grandfathers, and baby cousins.

No, drive by shootings kill some *other* Mexican's relatives. If you
could read our
local Spanish language newspaper, it is just filled with stories of
gang violence and
tragic accidents due to drunk driving.

I was recently reading an article about a Mexican beauty queen who
worked as a waitress at Denny's. Her macho Mexican boyfriend couldn't
dominate and possess her totally, so he killed her and went back to
his apartment and committed suicide.

Members of the beautiful girl's family and friends expressed disbelief
about how this
tragedy could possibly happen. They don't want to admit that their
culture is a violent
culture.

Mexicans call their debauched lifestyle "Mi Vida Loca" (My Crazy Life)
and accept that they are just "naturally" going to do many evil things
as they grow up.

If you go to the county offices here, the welfare office is next to
the probation office and the probation office is next to the
unemployment office. The first two offices are filled with Mexicans
who are on parole or probation or are looking for welfare.

Hardly anybody goes to the unemployment office, even though the
unemployed in this county are 16% of the work force. The Mexicans are
finding alternative ways to make a living. Like stealing cars. This
valley was listed as the fifth most likely place in the USA to have
your car stolen.

Recently, there was a county convention on what to do about the drug
and gang problem.

We have about 60,000 Mexicans locked up in our state prisons here in
the cental valley.

Earlier this month, five local Mexicans kidnapped a Mexican woman and
held her for
ransom. They wanted $60K, but the Mexican family couldn't raise that
kind of money.

They were afraid to contact the police, but they did that anyway and
they dropped part of the ransom off and it was traced back to the
kidnappers.

All five of the kidnappers are under 21 years old, but they have
already learned to
do a traditional Mexican family business, i.e., kidnapping.

Back around 1900, the Italian immigrants were the ones doing
kidnappings to make money. That's what upset the American public so
badly the Immigration Act of 1924 set quotas on immigration to keep
the relative numbers of immigrants low so they would have time to
learn how to be Americans and assimilate.

But, in 1965, the floodgates of immigration were opened, allowing
undesireables from non-European countries to come here. And the
problems with communism and political instability in Mexico and
central America have resulted in millions of economic refugees coming
here and bringing all their crime and violence with them.

> Personally I have not found an immigrant food vendor I haven't enjoyed
> so your statement that it doesn't make it good doesn't hold water.

You wouldn't admit being disappointed if you found a dead mouse in
your burrito.

But, you'd probably be too drunk to remember it afterwards.

> Anthony Bourdain is a very entertaining and a knowledgeable
> chef bringing these culinary gems to the masses.

Bourdain is a radical liberal bisexual asshole with a political agenda
which shouldn't even be allowed into his episodes. The whole idea of
enjoying foreign cuisine is to try something new and delightful, not
to go down to the barrio and hang around with gang bangers and drug
peddlers and prostitutes.

If I wanted to go to a Mexican swap meet, there is one every Saturday
at the local community college. It's crawling with Mexicans, but you
won't see any Americans there.

The authorities recently raided the swap meet and seized $250K worth
of pirated DVD's that Mexicans were peddling there.

Sonoran Dude[_2_] 13-12-2007 06:54 PM

:-/ wrote:
>> I completely disagree with you about slumming around the taco stands.

> Well, we will have to agree to disagree.
>
> You have graphically described your debauched antics in bars and your
> bout
> with diarrhea in a boat, after drinking straight chile sauce to prove
> how "macho" you were.
>
> You think that Mexican food is about eating a lot of offal tacos and
> guzzling a
> lot of Mexican beer and making yourself sick, and I disagree with that
> approach.

I'm really like your new handle... looks like a messy boat eating
grin... let the antics begin! Why TF don't you move if you hate it so
much? I hear Minneapolis has great Mexican food.

At least we are number 1 in car theft here!

:-/ 13-12-2007 09:10 PM

On Dec 13, 10:54�am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Why TF don't you move if you hate it so
> much?

Why should Americans move? This is OUR land, bought and paid for.

Contrary to all Mexican lies, we did not "steal" half their country,
we paid $12 million for the existing Mexican government to *cede*
claim to land they didn't want to develop. They invited American
entrepreneurs like Austin and Foxen to develop it, then, when more
Americans made the Mexican government nervous, they tried to run them
out.

So, Texas became independent, then a territory of the USA, and then
the US government wanted to move the border 100 miles south, and the
Mexicans murdered 16 US soldiers over that, and my ancestors kicked
Mexican ass all the way back to Mexico City.

One of my relatives was Ambrose Sevier, who went down to Queretaro
with the revised Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. The US congress met in
closed session and determined that they didn't *want* Mexicans to be
US citizens. The Mexican government agreed to the revised treaty and
moved to repatriate their people back to Mexico.

But, over the last 150 years, millions of Mexicans have snuck into our
country illegally, and the crisis is coming to a head. When the
reconquista radicals started waving their buzzard flags in our
streets, they woke up a lot of resentment amongst Real Americans.

>I hear Minneapolis has great Mexican food.

I don't have any relatives there. My maternal grandparents were born
in Marshalltown, Iowa, my paternals in South Dakota, and Kansas.

I was just watching a news article on TV about Marshalltown. It is now
swarming with Mexicans, and the mayor is claiming that he *needs* the
Mexicans to do the work.

Some of the Mexican meatcutters who work at the Swift meatpacking
company came from this county several years ago when the welfare
department gave them bus tickets to avoid paying welfare.

Other Mexicans jumped the fence, overstayed their visas, etc, and ICE
is arresting them in raids. And American meatcutters can't get the
Iowa jobs because employers *prefer* Mexicans over Whites.

And here in the central valley, Americans can't get meatcutting jobs
because the contractors are Mexicans and they only hire Mexicans.

My grandfather lived in Marshalltown and worked on the Minneapolis and
St. Louis Railroad, which was in and out of bankruptcy for decades. My
uncles went off and joined the Navy because of the poor economy in
Iowa. One uncle was killed by the
Japanese while trying to stop their invasion of Java in 1942.

Our people built this country, they fought for it and died for it, and
now sleazy politicians want to replace our people with Mexican
criminals.

Shameful. It's shameful.

Now go back to your beer guzzling and diarrhea.

Gunner[_6_] 14-12-2007 03:11 AM

Get back OT Booger!

This Class warrior BS has run its course Booger, you are behaving childishly
stupid and asinine.

You must learn to give logical facts, seperate assumptions and rid your
posts of your desire for us to know you are of "American Nobility" stock.
It's like your ultra-patriotism,...who cares??? This is about Mexican
Cooking. Your faux Neo-Nazi BS is .... well, its the talk of little boy
scared of the dark. Grow up.

Sonoran Dude[_2_] 14-12-2007 02:47 PM

Get back OT Booger!

Gunner wrote:
> This Class warrior BS has run its course Booger, you are behaving childishly
> stupid and asinine.
>
> You must learn to give logical facts, seperate assumptions and rid your
> posts of your desire for us to know you are of "American Nobility" stock.
> It's like your ultra-patriotism,...who cares??? This is about Mexican
> Cooking. Your faux Neo-Nazi BS is .... well, its the talk of little boy
> scared of the dark. Grow up.

He did sort of lose his train of thought there... this is all about
Mexican cooking not who's penis is bigger. Good point. Too bad he is too
scared to go down and get some authentic Mexican food from people trying
to better themselves by running a taco truck. Those fancy sit down
restaurant owners he enjoys so much probably started selling food at
swap meets, road side carts or peddling tamales door to door.
Good food is a luxury we can all afford even if it's beans and rice...
OK Wayne, it's your turn...

:-/ 14-12-2007 03:55 PM

Get back OT Booger!

On Dec 14, 6:47�am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:

> He did sort of lose his train of thought there... this is all about
> Mexican cooking not who's penis is bigger.

Well, I'm pretty sure that Gunner is the biggest prick who posts here,
you're only Number Two.

> Too bad he is too scared to go down and get some authentic Mexican food from > people trying to better themselves by running a taco truck.

Who's scared? Why drive hundreds of miles to find a taco wagon if I
can go down the street to find one? Then there is a combination
Italian submarine shop that also serves burritos, and then there's a
struggling taqueria in a shopping mall that's not making it either.

> Those fancy sit down restaurant owners he enjoys so much probably started selling food at
> swap meets, road side carts or peddling tamales door to door.

There are no "fancy" Mexican restaurants around here, just glorified
taquerias with a neon cerveza sign in the window.

And the taqueria owners are angry at the taco wagons because the taco
wagons are unlicensed, pay no rent, and are not inspected by the board
of health.

A local taqueria owner was talking about expanding his menu beyond the
"traditional" tacos and enchiladas and tamales. He has forgotten what
an authentic plata fuerte is, though. He was talking about adding
liver and onions to his repertoire.

> Good food is a luxury we can all afford even if it's beans and rice...

Those items are neither "good food" nor "luxury" items, they are the
staples that desperate people on welfare survive on.

My fantasy is to open a *Spanish* restaurant, staffed by *Spanish*
chefs and *Spanish* waiters.

My menu would have a polite statement at the top and bottom. It would
say, "This is a Spanish restaurant. We do not serve tacos, tamales,
enchiladas, or burritos, and, if you order a tortilla, you'll get a
Spanish omelette."

Gunner[_6_] 14-12-2007 07:39 PM

Get back OT Booger!

Gunner[_6_] 15-12-2007 02:02 AM

Get back OT Booger!

":-/" > wrote in message

>>>Booger reveals some of his inner child in his Group Therapy when he
>>>declares to the world : My fantasy is to open a *Spanish* restaurant,
>>>staffed by *Spanish* chefs and *Spanish* waiters......

Booger, I keep coming back to the same conclusion..... your fantasy world is
just a bit to vivid and real for a functional daily life. I fear you have
traveled this path too far:

"I am I, Don Quixote, the lord of La Mancha
Destroyer of evil am I
I will march to the sound of the trumpets of glory
forever to conquer or die"