Arturo

Default Cactus fruit... no the other one

I was asked to see if I could find pitaya. Apparently a cactus fruit, but not
the more common tuna. I'm told it's 'hot pink' on the inside. Has anyone had
one or know what they look like? Do they have a specific season? tuna is
supposedly most common in the fall

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arturo
D.Currie

"Arturo" > wrote in message
> I was asked to see if I could find pitaya. Apparently a cactus fruit, but

not
> the more common tuna. I'm told it's 'hot pink' on the inside. Has anyone

had
> one or know what they look like? Do they have a specific season? tuna is
> supposedly most common in the fall
>
> Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Arturo

I just bought one recently. I remembered them from when I was a kid, and
never knew what they were called, just that we had them on occasion, and the
color was so striking. Sort of a dark magenta.

This is the one I'm talking about:
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=0019028

It didn't taste as good as I remembered, and avoiding the spines is no fun.
I doubt I go out of my way to buy one again.

Shelora

Could the pitaya be the same as the xoconostle that is used to make a
type of salsa?
The xocos are roasted until soft (making them sweet) and then peeled.
Seeds remmoved that are nestled in the middle. Toate a few chile de
arbol until crispy but not burnt. Grind the chiles, salt and a garlic
cloves in the molcajete and add the the fruit, mixing as you go. Taste
for salt.
Cheers,
Shelora

"D.Currie" > wrote in message >...
> "Arturo" > wrote in message
> > I was asked to see if I could find pitaya. Apparently a cactus fruit, but

> not
> > the more common tuna. I'm told it's 'hot pink' on the inside. Has anyone

> had
> > one or know what they look like? Do they have a specific season? tuna is
> > supposedly most common in the fall
> >
> > Any information would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Arturo

> I just bought one recently. I remembered them from when I was a kid, and
> never knew what they were called, just that we had them on occasion, and the
> color was so striking. Sort of a dark magenta.
>
> This is the one I'm talking about:
> http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=0019028
>
> It didn't taste as good as I remembered, and avoiding the spines is no fun.
> I doubt I go out of my way to buy one again.

Michael Passler

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:34:41 -0700, "D.Currie"
> wrote:

>"Arturo" > wrote in message
>> I was asked to see if I could find pitaya. Apparently a cactus fruit, but

>not
>> the more common tuna. I'm told it's 'hot pink' on the inside. Has anyone

>had
>> one or know what they look like? Do they have a specific season? tuna is
>> supposedly most common in the fall
>>
>> Any information would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arturo

>I just bought one recently. I remembered them from when I was a kid, and
>never knew what they were called, just that we had them on occasion, and the
>color was so striking. Sort of a dark magenta.
>
>This is the one I'm talking about:
>http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=0019028
>
>It didn't taste as good as I remembered, and avoiding the spines is no fun.
>I doubt I go out of my way to buy one again.

This fruit must be very ripe in order to be eaten. It should feel very
soft and juicy. Eat it after it has been completely peeled, and do
not peal it while eating it. I remember it very tasty.

Miry