Frogleg

Default Roasting pinons?

I have a nice gift of raw, in-shell pinons. Have never developed a
reliable method of roasting (or shelling, but that's another story). I
often achieve a baking tray of some burnt, some raw, some exploded,
and some perfect nuts. Any hints?

IN-shell, remember. TIA
Carolyn LeCrone

My aunt and I used to shell the pinons, then roast them (if there were any
left).
Carolyn
"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> I have a nice gift of raw, in-shell pinons. Have never developed a
> reliable method of roasting (or shelling, but that's another story). I
> often achieve a baking tray of some burnt, some raw, some exploded,
> and some perfect nuts. Any hints?
>
> IN-shell, remember. TIA

Frogleg

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:34:54 -0500, "Carolyn LeCrone"
> wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote

>> I have a nice gift of raw, in-shell pinons. Have never developed a
>> reliable method of roasting (or shelling, but that's another story). I
>> often achieve a baking tray of some burnt, some raw, some exploded,
>> and some perfect nuts. Any hints?

>My aunt and I used to shell the pinons, then roast them (if there were any
>left).

The only way I've ever shelled them is the tooth method, which doesn't
seem very appropriate for preparing to serve for others. :-) Just
tried the plain ol' roasting at about 325F (convection oven) with
results as above -- some raw; some exploded. (I set the timer for 20
minutes, and the explosions began around 17-18.) Am thinking of trying
another batch in a lower oven. Would *really* like to find a reliable
method of roasting. Seems as if it might be easier to shell nuts after
they were firm and roasted. At any rate, the aroma of hot pinon sap
is worth the effort.
JD

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:24:09 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>The only way I've ever shelled them is the tooth method, which doesn't
>seem very appropriate for preparing to serve for others. :-) Just
>tried the plain ol' roasting at about 325F (convection oven) with
>results as above -- some raw; some exploded. (I set the timer for 20
>minutes, and the explosions began around 17-18.) Am thinking of trying
>another batch in a lower oven. Would *really* like to find a reliable
>method of roasting. Seems as if it might be easier to shell nuts after
>they were firm and roasted. At any rate, the aroma of hot pinon sap
>is worth the effort.

My suggestion would be to try the pan roasting method. The pine nuts
need to be agitated so they will roast more evenly and not burn. It's
more time consuming but, just make sure there is only one layer of
nuts in the hot pan and keep shaking them. You'll have to experiment
with temp (medium/high flame IMO) and time (5-6 minutes IMO), but I'll
bet by the time you start smelling them, they are getting close to
being done.
The Ranger

JD > suggested in message
to Frogleg's
> dilemma:
> >"Oven-roasted exploding pinion; bummer. Alternatives to
> >uniformity?"
> >

> My suggestion would be to try the pan roasting method.

I'll second this method. Using a skillet not only reduces the time, it
allows greater control (from the cook's standpoint) over the final product.
You're literally moving them about the skillet, tossing and kicking them
about, and the pinions will only benefit from the extra attention. I also
think it takes less time (and effort).

The Ranger

Frogleg

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:02:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>I have a nice gift of raw, in-shell pinons. Have never developed a
>reliable method of roasting

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving up. Pan-roasting at various
temperatures resulted in the same proportion of raw, toasted, and
exploding nuts. Same with oven roasting at different temperatures.
BTW, the large ones are raw; the small ones overdone (as you'd expect)
and the exploders appear to be random. Moisture content, I guess.

So what are the uses of raw pinons?
Shelora

Well, if you think there is a lot of moisture content, could you not
dry them more and then toast?
For raw nuts, some people prefer nut milks, ground with water. Ground
this way with less water, they could make a great addition to an ice
cream perhaps.
Or a nut butter? But a roasted nut butter would be so much better with
some sage on lets say a squash ravioli. Not Mexican I know, but I was
just looking at a wonderful Italian cookbook.

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:02:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>
> >I have a nice gift of raw, in-shell pinons. Have never developed a
> >reliable method of roasting

> Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving up. Pan-roasting at various
> temperatures resulted in the same proportion of raw, toasted, and
> exploding nuts. Same with oven roasting at different temperatures.
> BTW, the large ones are raw; the small ones overdone (as you'd expect)
> and the exploders appear to be random. Moisture content, I guess.
>
> So what are the uses of raw pinons?

Carol Klarr \( Sandy\)

Here in New Mexico, we roast pinon in an iron skillet. You must keep
stirring and when they start popping, take them off of the heat and put them
in a bowl. If you want them salted, soak them in salted water before
roasting. Pinon is used in baking, but mostly around here you just crack
them with your teeth and eat them. It doesn't take long to roast them. The
ones that explode are probably empty. If they are kind of pale in color they
are probably empty. Just crack a few open and see. The good ones should be a
healthy looking brown.

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:02:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>
> >I have a nice gift of raw, in-shell pinons. Have never developed a
> >reliable method of roasting

> Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving up. Pan-roasting at various
> temperatures resulted in the same proportion of raw, toasted, and
> exploding nuts. Same with oven roasting at different temperatures.
> BTW, the large ones are raw; the small ones overdone (as you'd expect)
> and the exploders appear to be random. Moisture content, I guess.
>
> So what are the uses of raw pinons?

Thurman

Carol Klarr ( Sandy) wrote:
> Here in New Mexico, we roast pinon in an iron skillet.

Since you are in New Mexico, I've seen 'adobe' ovens in
places of New Mexico where I couldn't see a house or
recognizable living quarters. Trying to cook in one of those
is moving up in my priorities.

What is the proper name of those ovens?

Frogleg

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:26:26 -0600, Thurman >
wrote:

>Carol Klarr ( Sandy) wrote:
>> Here in New Mexico, we roast pinon in an iron skillet.

>Since you are in New Mexico, I've seen 'adobe' ovens in
>places of New Mexico where I couldn't see a house or
>recognizable living quarters. Trying to cook in one of those
>is moving up in my priorities.
>
>What is the proper name of those ovens?

Horno or hive.

http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/

Frogleg

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:13:59 -0700, "Carol Klarr \( Sandy\)"
> wrote:

>Here in New Mexico, we roast pinon in an iron skillet. You must keep
>stirring and when they start popping, take them off of the heat and put them
>in a bowl. If you want them salted, soak them in salted water before
>roasting. Pinon is used in baking, but mostly around here you just crack
>them with your teeth and eat them. It doesn't take long to roast them. The
>ones that explode are probably empty. If they are kind of pale in color they
>are probably empty. Just crack a few open and see. The good ones should be a
>healthy looking brown.

Thanks for replying, but I *did* try in a cast-iron skillet. And the
exploding nuts were quite full of pinon. This appears to be something
one has to actually *see* to grasp the technique.
Carol Klarr

I don't know how to spell it but they are called "ornos". The indians use
them to bake bread. They build a fire in them and when there are just coals
left, they remove the coals and put in the bread. I've never used one but
I've heard about them.

"Thurman" > wrote in message
> Carol Klarr ( Sandy) wrote:
> > Here in New Mexico, we roast pinon in an iron skillet.

> Since you are in New Mexico, I've seen 'adobe' ovens in
> places of New Mexico where I couldn't see a house or
> recognizable living quarters. Trying to cook in one of those
> is moving up in my priorities.
>
> What is the proper name of those ovens?

Carol Klarr

Yes, I guess it just takes time to grasp the technique.

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:13:59 -0700, "Carol Klarr \( Sandy\)"
> > wrote:
>
> >Here in New Mexico, we roast pinon in an iron skillet. You must keep
> >stirring and when they start popping, take them off of the heat and put

them
> >in a bowl. If you want them salted, soak them in salted water before
> >roasting. Pinon is used in baking, but mostly around here you just crack
> >them with your teeth and eat them. It doesn't take long to roast them.

The
> >ones that explode are probably empty. If they are kind of pale in color

they
> >are probably empty. Just crack a few open and see. The good ones should

be a
> >healthy looking brown.

> Thanks for replying, but I *did* try in a cast-iron skillet. And the
> exploding nuts were quite full of pinon. This appears to be something
> one has to actually *see* to grasp the technique.

Bob Dietz

"Carol Klarr" > wrote in message

> I don't know how to spell it but they are called "ornos". >

That would be "hornos".

Bob Dietz

me

The bad thing about raw pinons is that they go rancid fast (keep them in
fridge) and they really need to be toasted Can be eaten raw, but not near
as yummy!

One the underdone/overdone thing, better if you separate the pinons by size
and do separate batches. As for the exploding part, if you figure it out,
let me know!

steve

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:02:51 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>
> >I have a nice gift of raw, in-shell pinons. Have never developed a
> >reliable method of roasting

> Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving up. Pan-roasting at various
> temperatures resulted in the same proportion of raw, toasted, and
> exploding nuts. Same with oven roasting at different temperatures.
> BTW, the large ones are raw; the small ones overdone (as you'd expect)
> and the exploders appear to be random. Moisture content, I guess.
>
> So what are the uses of raw pinons?

Charles Gifford

"me" > wrote in message
> The bad thing about raw pinons is that they go rancid fast (keep them in
> fridge)

Keep them in the freezer and they will last a year or more with no
degradation.

Charlie

The Ranger

Charles Gifford > helpfully suggested in message
link.net...
> > The bad thing about raw pinons is that they go rancid fast (keep
> > them in fridge)
> >

> Keep them in the freezer and they will last a year or more with no
> degradation.

I concur! Vacuum-sealed bags extend this another six months.

The Ranger

Frogleg

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:05:23 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"me" > wrote

>> The bad thing about raw pinons is that they go rancid fast (keep them in
>> fridge)

>Keep them in the freezer and they will last a year or more with no
>degradation.

I *do*. Anyone who's ever stepped on a pinon must realize they're
nearly all oil.

Roasting A Pig Alan S Barbecue 37 28-09-2005 12:17 PM
Roasting? mikehende Barbecue 2 26-09-2005 12:52 AM
Re-Roasting?? Ivo van der Putten Coffee 3 19-03-2005 03:47 PM
Roasting Pan Q's ok2bwild General Cooking 8 24-12-2004 05:52 AM
toasting/roasting pinons? Frogleg Mexican Cooking 4 15-10-2003 11:29 AM