ncgirl

Default Flour tortillas - Texas style?

Hi all!

We just got back from visiting relatives in TX and found that we really
enjoyed the flour tortillas that we had at the local mexican restaurants
there. Wondering if anyone has a recipe or knows where to find one for this
particular kind? They weren't the usual thin kind like the type you get at
the grocery store in packs. These were made fresh on a griddle and were
thicker and fluffier than the "normal" kind.

Any help greatly appreciated =)

Cindy Fuller

In article m>,
"ncgirl" > wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> We just got back from visiting relatives in TX and found that we really
> enjoyed the flour tortillas that we had at the local mexican restaurants
> there. Wondering if anyone has a recipe or knows where to find one for this
> particular kind? They weren't the usual thin kind like the type you get at
> the grocery store in packs. These were made fresh on a griddle and were
> thicker and fluffier than the "normal" kind.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated =)

One word: LARD. If you visit Mexican stores in your area (I used to
live in Greensboro), you should find good tortillas. Failing that,
google on flour tortilla recipes and you should find some that use lard
as the fat source.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
ncgirl

So that's the secret, huh? Shoulda figured. Good things are always full of
the worst stuff <grin>

Thanks!
"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article m>,
> "ncgirl" > wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > We just got back from visiting relatives in TX and found that we really
> > enjoyed the flour tortillas that we had at the local mexican restaurants
> > there. Wondering if anyone has a recipe or knows where to find one for

this
> > particular kind? They weren't the usual thin kind like the type you get

at
> > the grocery store in packs. These were made fresh on a griddle and were
> > thicker and fluffier than the "normal" kind.
> >
> > Any help greatly appreciated =)
> >

> One word: LARD. If you visit Mexican stores in your area (I used to
> live in Greensboro), you should find good tortillas. Failing that,
> google on flour tortilla recipes and you should find some that use lard
> as the fat source.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Jay P Francis

Tell me how these taste to you and if any changes need to be made in the
recipe.

Restaurant Style Flour Tortillas

Headnote: This recipe is a starting point only. You will need to adjust the
flour and water to achieve your desired final product.

Ingredients:

4 cups (15 ounces) well sifted flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup (2 ounces) lard
1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup reserved flour to bind, if required

In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, add the above ingredients and mix
until well blended, with the dough hook attachment, about 5 minutes.
Alternatively, use a food processor with the dough blade, or, knead by hand.
The dough should be moist and pliable. If it is still dry, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup
water as needed.

Remove the mixing bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow dough to
rest for 30 minutes to an hour.

Form 8 balls. If the dough is too sticky, add extra flour if required. On a
floured surface roll each ball with a rolling pin until formed into 6-8 inch
rounds.

In a large skillet, griddle, or a comal, over high heat, brown each tortilla
side for one minute being careful not to burn. You are looking for air pockets
and brown flecks among the white.

Variation: Add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder if desired.

Variation: Margarine may be substituted for lard. However, vegetable
shortening is not a good substitute.

ncgirl

Thanks Jay! I'll certainly give it a try. It doesn't sound much different
from the recipe I was using before which only made the thin tortillas. Is
this supposed to make the thicker fluffier type ones? Think gordita or
chalupa vs. fajitas or soft tacos?

Cheers.
"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> Tell me how these taste to you and if any changes need to be made in the
> recipe.
>
> Restaurant Style Flour Tortillas
>
> Headnote: This recipe is a starting point only. You will need to adjust

the
> flour and water to achieve your desired final product.
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 4 cups (15 ounces) well sifted flour
> 1 cup water
> 1/4 cup (2 ounces) lard
> 1 teaspoon salt
>
> 1/4 cup reserved flour to bind, if required
>
> In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, add the above ingredients and mix
> until well blended, with the dough hook attachment, about 5 minutes.
> Alternatively, use a food processor with the dough blade, or, knead by

hand.
> The dough should be moist and pliable. If it is still dry, add 1/4 to 1/3

cup
> water as needed.
>
> Remove the mixing bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow

dough to
> rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
>
> Form 8 balls. If the dough is too sticky, add extra flour if required.

On a
> floured surface roll each ball with a rolling pin until formed into 6-8

inch
> rounds.
>
> In a large skillet, griddle, or a comal, over high heat, brown each

tortilla
> side for one minute being careful not to burn. You are looking for air

pockets
> and brown flecks among the white.
>
> Variation: Add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder if desired.
>
> Variation: Margarine may be substituted for lard. However, vegetable
> shortening is not a good substitute.

David Wright

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:49:42 GMT, "ncgirl" > wrote:

>Thanks Jay! I'll certainly give it a try. It doesn't sound much different
>from the recipe I was using before which only made the thin tortillas. Is
>this supposed to make the thicker fluffier type ones? Think gordita or
>chalupa vs. fajitas or soft tacos?

ncgirl, gorditas and chalupas are made with corn masa, not wheat
flour.

David
doutcome

"ncgirl" > wrote in message
. com...
> Thanks Jay! I'll certainly give it a try. It doesn't sound much

different
> from the recipe I was using before which only made the thin tortillas. Is
> this supposed to make the thicker fluffier type ones? Think gordita or
> chalupa vs. fajitas or soft tacos?
>
> Cheers.
> "Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> > Tell me how these taste to you and if any changes need to be made in the
> > recipe.
> >
> > Restaurant Style Flour Tortillas
> >
> > Headnote: This recipe is a starting point only. You will need to

adjust
> the
> > flour and water to achieve your desired final product.
> >
> > Ingredients:
> >
> > 4 cups (15 ounces) well sifted flour
> > 1 cup water
> > 1/4 cup (2 ounces) lard
> > 1 teaspoon salt
> >
> > 1/4 cup reserved flour to bind, if required
> >
> > In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, add the above ingredients and

mix
> > until well blended, with the dough hook attachment, about 5 minutes.
> > Alternatively, use a food processor with the dough blade, or, knead by

> hand.
> > The dough should be moist and pliable. If it is still dry, add 1/4 to

1/3
> cup
> > water as needed.
> >
> > Remove the mixing bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow

> dough to
> > rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
> >
> > Form 8 balls. If the dough is too sticky, add extra flour if required.

> On a
> > floured surface roll each ball with a rolling pin until formed into 6-8

> inch
> > rounds.
> >
> > In a large skillet, griddle, or a comal, over high heat, brown each

> tortilla
> > side for one minute being careful not to burn. You are looking for air

> pockets
> > and brown flecks among the white.
> >
> > Variation: Add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder if desired.
> >
> > Variation: Margarine may be substituted for lard. However, vegetable
> > shortening is not a good substitute.

You forget to add the baking powder.
1 teaspoon and the water has to be hot so
the tortillas can be fluffy.

Jay P Francis

They'll be like the ones that the restaurants bring around in a little canasta
for use with fajitas of just for the table. Hope you like them.