Rich McCormack

Default Christmas breakfast...

For the last 30 years, our family's traditional Christmas breakfast
has centered around Huevos con Chorizo served with soft and crisp
fried corn tortillas and flour tortillas heated on a comal to fold
around either taco or burrito style. The side dishes (and even the
chorizo itself) have varied over the years to avoid getting into
a "traditional rut" but usually include beans and rice, potatoes or
Sopa Seca de Fideo; chips 'n salsa and Mexican beer. Other things
that often show up are Pico de Gallo of oranges and jicama, sliced
avocado or guacamole, small sweet tamales and empanadas or whatever
else seems like it might compliment the center piece...

Huevos con Chorizo

1 pound - Mexican-style chorizo
1 - medium size, firm tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 - medium size onion, chopped
1/4 - poblano or Anaheim chile, seeded and chopped
1/4 - jalapeno chile, seeded and finely diced
1 - serrano chile, thinly sliced crosswise
1/4 cup - fresh cilantro, chopped
1 dozen - fresh eggs, slightly beaten
as needed - additional lard or vegetable oil if chorizo is lean

Add chorizo to a skillet and break apart with a spatula. If the
chorizo is in casings, peel or squeeze it from the casing and
discard the casing. Add a little lard or vegetable oil if the
chorizo is lean. Sauté for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove chorizo
with a slot spoon and set aside. Pour off excess fat from the
skillet, leaving approx. 2 tablespoons. Add tomato, onion, and
chiles to the skillet and cook until soft. Return the chorizo
to the pan, add cilantro and eggs and cook until eggs are set
as desired.

This year, per my wife's request, I'm making Chorizo de Toluca for
the chorizo and eggs. On the side will be brothy beans and fried
sliced or diced (haven't made up my mind yet) potatoes with chopped
red and green chiles and onion (essentially Potatoes O'Brien made
with mild to medium heat chiles instead of red and green bell peppers)
along with Pico de Gallo of oranges and jicama, chips 'n salsa and
cervezas to wash it down.

Lookin' forward to it...

Rich
Wayne Lundberg

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> For the last 30 years, our family's traditional Christmas breakfast
> has centered around Huevos con Chorizo served with soft and crisp

---snip---

My mouth is watering! Make sure you have some chile chipotle on hand to go
with the scrambled eggs and chorizo. Also suggest not adding any chile to
anything you are cooking such as eggs, rice, beans, chorizo.... it's always
best to let your guests add the chile they want. I love it when sitting to a
meal and all the goodies are in small bowls tantalizing me to try this and
that....

Wayne

Puester

Rich McCormack wrote:

> For the last 30 years, our family's traditional Christmas breakfast
> has centered around Huevos con Chorizo served with soft and crisp
> fried corn tortillas and flour tortillas heated on a comal to fold
> around either taco or burrito style. The side dishes (and even the
> chorizo itself) have varied over the years to avoid getting into
> a "traditional rut" but usually include beans and rice, potatoes or
> Sopa Seca de Fideo; chips 'n salsa and Mexican beer. Other things
> that often show up are Pico de Gallo of oranges and jicama, sliced
> avocado or guacamole, small sweet tamales and empanadas or whatever
> else seems like it might compliment the center piece...

> Lookin' forward to it...

Sounds wonderful, Rich. We spent the past three Christmases
in your back yard, Poway, at our daughter's house, where we
enjoyed breakfast burritos, assorted tamales,lots of side dishes,
and her grandfather's legacy, a Portuguese crusty bread (not sweet)
stuffed with ham and chourico before baking.

This year we're all back in Colorado, but we'll do
the same breakfast.

Feliz navidad, y'all

gloria p
Bistoury

Excuse me for asking but have you ever read what is in he chorizo. I
just did after reading your post. Just wondering how you can get it down.
Did you really mean to say you had beers for breakfast.
Matt

Rich McCormack wrote:

> For the last 30 years, our family's traditional Christmas breakfast
> has centered around Huevos con Chorizo served with soft and crisp
> fried corn tortillas and flour tortillas heated on a comal to fold
> around either taco or burrito style. The side dishes (and even the
> chorizo itself) have varied over the years to avoid getting into
> a "traditional rut" but usually include beans and rice, potatoes or
> Sopa Seca de Fideo; chips 'n salsa and Mexican beer. Other things
> that often show up are Pico de Gallo of oranges and jicama, sliced
> avocado or guacamole, small sweet tamales and empanadas or whatever
> else seems like it might compliment the center piece...
>
> Huevos con Chorizo
>
> 1 pound - Mexican-style chorizo
> 1 - medium size, firm tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
> 1/2 - medium size onion, chopped
> 1/4 - poblano or Anaheim chile, seeded and chopped
> 1/4 - jalapeno chile, seeded and finely diced
> 1 - serrano chile, thinly sliced crosswise
> 1/4 cup - fresh cilantro, chopped
> 1 dozen - fresh eggs, slightly beaten
> as needed - additional lard or vegetable oil if chorizo is lean
>
> Add chorizo to a skillet and break apart with a spatula. If the
> chorizo is in casings, peel or squeeze it from the casing and
> discard the casing. Add a little lard or vegetable oil if the
> chorizo is lean. Sauté for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove chorizo
> with a slot spoon and set aside. Pour off excess fat from the
> skillet, leaving approx. 2 tablespoons. Add tomato, onion, and
> chiles to the skillet and cook until soft. Return the chorizo
> to the pan, add cilantro and eggs and cook until eggs are set
> as desired.
>

> This year, per my wife's request, I'm making Chorizo de Toluca for
> the chorizo and eggs. On the side will be brothy beans and fried
> sliced or diced (haven't made up my mind yet) potatoes with chopped
> red and green chiles and onion (essentially Potatoes O'Brien made
> with mild to medium heat chiles instead of red and green bell peppers)
> along with Pico de Gallo of oranges and jicama, chips 'n salsa and
> cervezas to wash it down.
>
> Lookin' forward to it...
>
> Rich

Rich McCormack

Bistoury wrote:

> Excuse me for asking but have you ever read what is in he chorizo.

No...I haven't read the ingredient label on a storebought package
of chorizo for many years. We make our own from fresh ground meat,
chiles and spices.

> ... Did you really mean to say you had beers for breakfast...

Yes...we have beer with breakfast. :-)

Rich

Rich McCormack

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

> "Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
> >
> > For the last 30 years, our family's traditional Christmas breakfast
> > has centered around Huevos con Chorizo served with soft and crisp

> ---snip---
>
> My mouth is watering! Make sure you have some chile chipotle on hand to go
> with the scrambled eggs and chorizo. Also suggest not adding any chile to
> anything you are cooking such as eggs, rice, beans, chorizo....

I'm a chile-head, I add chiles to most of the food I cook...for myself.
However, I do respect other people's tolerance for heat by using mild
to medium heat chiles for general cooking and offering the HOT stuff
on the side to add per individual discretion... :-)

Rich
Mr.Wizard

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> Bistoury wrote:
> >
> > Excuse me for asking but have you ever read what is in he chorizo.

> No...I haven't read the ingredient label on a storebought package
> of chorizo for many years. We make our own from fresh ground meat,
> chiles and spices.
>
> > ... Did you really mean to say you had beers for breakfast...

> Yes...we have beer with breakfast. :-)
>
> Rich

Only the Royal and Regal have beer for breakfast.
That's why a trool wouldn't know it's OK.

Abraham Martinez

Did you just say chorizo de Toluca>????? hmmmm the best of the country!
enjoy your X-mass breakfast!!

David Wright

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:16:07 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>Bistoury wrote:
>>
>> Excuse me for asking but have you ever read what is in he chorizo.

>No...I haven't read the ingredient label on a storebought package
>of chorizo for many years. We make our own from fresh ground meat,
>chiles and spices.

As do we. In fact, we haven't had *any* storebought sausage for a long
time. Maybe Bistoury could try making his/her own and taste the
difference.

>> ... Did you really mean to say you had beers for breakfast...

>Yes...we have beer with breakfast. :-)

My Christmas wish for your Christmas breakfast is that you were able
to find some Noche Buena. I've been shut out the last three years.

Our tradition is posole and tamales for Christmas Eve. Tamales are
made and ready to be reheated, and I can smell the posole on the
stove.

Feliz Navidad to all afm-c regulars!

David