Rolly

Default Making Tortillas -- a new webpage

After talking about it for a year, I finally got around to making a
new page on my website showing how tortillas are make in a
neighborhood tortillería.

Go to http://rollybrook.com/tortillas.htm

I went to the shop this morning wearing my red shirt and Santa Claus
cap as is my custom this time of the year. The owners have three
little kids who were very impressed that Santa had come to see them.
While I was there, they made two Christmas cards for me and a variety
of tree ornaments out of paper. When I finished taking the pictures I
came for, I took a bunch of pictures of the kids.

Somehow the word got out that Santa was at the store, and soon every
kid in the neighborhood was in the store to see Santa. I finally had
to leave because there were so many kids that they were disrupting the
store's business.

We all had a wonderful time.

Rolly
Frogleg

On 6 Dec 2003 15:55:55 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:

>After talking about it for a year, I finally got around to making a
>new page on my website showing how tortillas are make in a
>neighborhood tortillería.
>
>Go to
http://rollybrook.com/tortillas.htm

*Love* your site, Rolly. (Got net-cred for recommending Doña Martha's
tamale page.) Interesting that tortillas are baked, not grilled in
the tortilleria. Do they deliver to SE Virginia? :-) When you get 1
peso's worth, what lunch do you construct with them? I'm thinking
carnitas and some sort of salsa. Or a cheese thing? When I make my
own, a number of them somehow disappear with no accompaniment
whatsoever. Thanks for the new page.
Wayne Lundberg

"Rolly" > wrote in message
m...
> After talking about it for a year, I finally got around to making a
> new page on my website showing how tortillas are make in a
> neighborhood tortillería.
>
> Go to http://rollybrook.com/tortillas.htm.

---snip---

I can't believe that you left out the overnight soak in lime part of the
process. Which is probably the most critical aspect of the whole tortilla
process. Otherwise you did a wonderful job of showing just how it is. Great!

Wayne

Rolly

Hi Wayne,

The cal soak and cooking were not going on when I was there. So many
people on other boards have bitched at me about that omission that I
plan to go back and shoot that process. In fact I was going to do it
tonight, but I'm grounded by a gout attack, so I'll be back with a
revised web page as soon as I can.
Rich McCormack

Rolly wrote:

> Hi Wayne,
>
> The cal soak and cooking were not going on when I was there. So many
> people on other boards have bitched at me about that omission that I
> plan to go back and shoot that process. In fact I was going to do it
> tonight, but I'm grounded by a gout attack...

Ouch! I "feel your pain" myself occasionally... :-(

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/

Wayne Lundberg

Good show!

"Rolly" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Wayne,
>
> The cal soak and cooking were not going on when I was there. So many
> people on other boards have bitched at me about that omission that I
> plan to go back and shoot that process. In fact I was going to do it
> tonight, but I'm grounded by a gout attack, so I'll be back with a
> revised web page as soon as I can.

Jack Schidt®

"Rolly" > wrote in message
m...
> After talking about it for a year, I finally got around to making a
> new page on my website showing how tortillas are make in a
> neighborhood tortillería.
>
> Go to http://rollybrook.com/tortillas.htm
>
> I went to the shop this morning wearing my red shirt and Santa Claus
> cap as is my custom this time of the year. The owners have three
> little kids who were very impressed that Santa had come to see them.
> While I was there, they made two Christmas cards for me and a variety
> of tree ornaments out of paper. When I finished taking the pictures I
> came for, I took a bunch of pictures of the kids.
>
> Somehow the word got out that Santa was at the store, and soon every
> kid in the neighborhood was in the store to see Santa. I finally had
> to leave because there were so many kids that they were disrupting the
> store's business.
>
> We all had a wonderful time.
>
> Rolly

Thanks, Rolly, as always, I enjoyed your photo essay. Most eye-catching to
me was that big hunka masa!

Jack

Linda

I love your excellent web pages, keep it up!

Linda