FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Chipotle (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14217-chipotle.html)

J.J.Graf 27-11-2003 08:17 PM

Chipotle

Is ther any substitute, you could use instead of chipotle?

Frank Mancuso 27-11-2003 08:48 PM

Chipotle

J.J.Graf wrote:

> Is ther any substitute, you could use instead of chipotle?

Dried Passilla or even Ancho should do.

Frogleg 28-11-2003 01:35 PM

Chipotle

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:48:56 GMT, Frank Mancuso
> wrote:

>J.J.Graf wrote:
>
>> Is ther any substitute, you could use instead of chipotle?
>>

>Dried Passilla or even Ancho should do.

Depends. The only chipotles I've seen here are canned in adobo, which
implies different uses than a smoked, dried critter. Since y'r basic
chipotle is a smoked, dried jalapeno, alternate choices would have to
take into account whether the use emphasized the relative heat,
smokiness, or dry-chile-ness.

Jack Schidt® 28-11-2003 03:58 PM

Chipotle

"J.J.Graf" > wrote in message
> Is ther any substitute, you could use instead of chipotle?

No, there really isn't. Not if you want the flavor of a smoked jalapeño.

Jack

Jay P Francis 28-11-2003 05:38 PM

Chipotle

Absolutely, but it is costly. If you reconstitute a dry chile of your choice
and sprinkle with liquid smoke, or add liquid smoke to your recipe (to taste)
you will arrive at an acceptable substitute.

Normally I would never recommend a bottled product as they tend to be junk,
but, Colgin brand Liquid Smoke does just what it is supposed to do. It is a
smoke essence bound in a water base.

Is the problem that canned chipotles en adobe do not exist in your country? If
so, you probably don't have liquid smoke either.

Here is another option, that I picked up in Afghanistan. When they are cooking
dal or other lentils, they like to put a small ramekin with some burning wood
into the pott of dal, cover it, and let the smoke infuse the dal. You could
probably use the ramekin trick if you recipe is a stew like recipe?

Jack Schidt® 28-11-2003 05:57 PM

Chipotle

"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> Absolutely, but it is costly. If you reconstitute a dry chile of your

choice
> and sprinkle with liquid smoke, or add liquid smoke to your recipe (to

taste)
> you will arrive at an acceptable substitute.
>
> Normally I would never recommend a bottled product as they tend to be

junk,
> but, Colgin brand Liquid Smoke does just what it is supposed to do. It is

> smoke essence bound in a water base.
>
> Is the problem that canned chipotles en adobe do not exist in your

country? If
> so, you probably don't have liquid smoke either.
>
> Here is another option, that I picked up in Afghanistan. When they are

cooking
> dal or other lentils, they like to put a small ramekin with some burning

wood
> into the pott of dal, cover it, and let the smoke infuse the dal. You

could
> probably use the ramekin trick if you recipe is a stew like recipe?

Some native american recipes also call for 'culinary ash', that is ash from
charred wood.

Jack

Dimitri 30-11-2003 04:09 AM

Chipotle

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message
> J.J.Graf wrote:
>
> > Is ther any substitute, you could use instead of chipotle?
> >

> Dried Passilla or even Ancho should do.

add a drop (not more) of liquid smoke.

Dimitri

TPhil 03-12-2003 02:46 AM

Chipotle

Just get some Jalapenos, toast them over an open flame, remove the seeds (be
careful of what you touch afterwards, eyes, nose, etc. !)

If still to hot, use Anaheim's or poblanos & toast more.

Enjoy

Troy

m...

[email protected] 03-12-2003 06:49 AM

Chipotle

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:46:59 GMT, "TPhil"
> painted grafitti on my boxcar saying:

Fiesta Mart, a texas grocery store chain, might sell mail order If you
ask the right person. They have stores in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio
and Houston. I got a pound of dried chipotle peppers for 4.99 Nice
mottled dark tan color with the small dark brown linear stripes. They
also have three different size cans of the canned in adobo sauce
chipotles.

Greyebeard

>Just get some Jalapenos, toast them over an open flame, remove the seeds (be
>careful of what you touch afterwards, eyes, nose, etc. !)
>
>If still to hot, use Anaheim's or poblanos & toast more.
>
>Enjoy
>
>Troy

om...