Douglas S. Ladden

Default Bolillos

Howdy!

Okay, I'm tired of not having any bolillos or teleras available to
me here. Anyone know how to make these? I assume the dough will be the
same for both, and that the only difference between the two will be in the
shaping. I'm really looking forward to having fresh bolillos so I can
make molletes, and other things! Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks!

--Douglas
Jim Lane

Douglas S. Ladden wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> Okay, I'm tired of not having any bolillos or teleras available to
> me here. Anyone know how to make these? I assume the dough will be the
> same for both, and that the only difference between the two will be in the
> shaping. I'm really looking forward to having fresh bolillos so I can
> make molletes, and other things! Any and all help is appreciated!
> Thanks!
>
> --Douglas

Where's here?

jim

Dimitri

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> Douglas S. Ladden wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> > Okay, I'm tired of not having any bolillos or teleras available to
> > me here. Anyone know how to make these? I assume the dough will be the
> > same for both, and that the only difference between the two will be in

the
> > shaping. I'm really looking forward to having fresh bolillos so I can
> > make molletes, and other things! Any and all help is appreciated!
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Douglas

> Where's here?
>

> jim

IIRC the dough is different.

The bolillo is a hard crust like French bread or a baguette. The teleras
have a soft or oiled crust.

Dimitri

Douglas S. Ladden

Jim Lane > on 24 Nov 2003 suggested:

> Where's here?

SillyCon Valley.

--Douglas
Douglas S. Ladden

"Dimitri" > on 24 Nov 2003 suggested:

> IIRC the dough is different.
>
> The bolillo is a hard crust like French bread or a baguette. The
> teleras have a soft or oiled crust.

Dang! Well, okay, then a recipe for either and/or both would be
appreciated.

--Douglas

Dimitri

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
. 16...
> "Dimitri" > on 24 Nov 2003 suggested:
>
> > IIRC the dough is different.
> >
> > The bolillo is a hard crust like French bread or a baguette. The
> > teleras have a soft or oiled crust.
> >

> Dang! Well, okay, then a recipe for either and/or both would be
> appreciated.

French Bread go he

http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/jrennie/bread/
Modify the baking time for rolls. The telltale cut is eoth a razor balde or
knife at an angle 3/4 way across the top.

You can also modify this:

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Dimitri

Jim Lane

Douglas S. Ladden wrote:
> Jim Lane > on 24 Nov 2003 suggested:
>

>>Where's here?
>>

> SillyCon Valley.
>
> --Douglas

;-) Should be a reason for a field trip to Fresno!

jim

Jim Lane

Douglas S. Ladden wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> Okay, I'm tired of not having any bolillos or teleras available to
> me here. Anyone know how to make these? I assume the dough will be the
> same for both, and that the only difference between the two will be in the
> shaping. I'm really looking forward to having fresh bolillos so I can
> make molletes, and other things! Any and all help is appreciated!
> Thanks!
>
> --Douglas

Go he

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_4096,00.html

jim

Douglas S. Ladden

Jim Lane > on 24 Nov 2003 suggested:

> Douglas S. Ladden wrote:
>> Jim Lane > on 24 Nov 2003 suggested:
>>

>>>Where's here?
>>>

>> SillyCon Valley.
>>
>> --Douglas

> ;-) Should be a reason for a field trip to Fresno!

Jim,

If I could travel, I'd go straight to Mexico City, so that I could
sate my craving for Tacos al Pastor and Quesadillas as well. But alas,
for the moment, I am unable.

--Douglas
Wayne Lundberg

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
9.17...
> Howdy!
>
> Okay, I'm tired of not having any bolillos or teleras available to
> me here. Anyone know how to make these? I assume the dough will be the
> same for both, and ---snip----

The trouble with bolillos and teleras, as with San Francisco Sour Dough
bread is in the starter which is protected, somehow, from distribution. Also
the seven thousand ft. elevation of Mexico City has a lot to do with the way
the dough raises and is cooked which makes it almost impossible to duplicate
anywhere else. Of course by now the San Francisco starter has spread, but
it's tough to spread 7,000 ft elevations!

Wayne
see my son's exciting new sport www.rcsailcars.com

Jim Lane

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> 9.17...
>
>>Howdy!
>>
>> Okay, I'm tired of not having any bolillos or teleras available to
>>me here. Anyone know how to make these? I assume the dough will be the
>>same for both, and ---snip----

> The trouble with bolillos and teleras, as with San Francisco Sour Dough
> bread is in the starter which is protected, somehow, from distribution. Also
> the seven thousand ft. elevation of Mexico City has a lot to do with the way
> the dough raises and is cooked which makes it almost impossible to duplicate
> anywhere else. Of course by now the San Francisco starter has spread, but
> it's tough to spread 7,000 ft elevations!
>
> Wayne
> see my son's exciting new sport www.rcsailcars.com

Are these starters any better than the ones in Guadalajara at 4500 feet?
There's an altitude adjustment for baking (used to live in Gunnison, CO
at 7400 feet) that should be easily found. The starter, however, is
another matter. Do these breads actually use a starter?

jim

Douglas S. Ladden

"Wayne Lundberg" > on 25 Nov 2003 suggested:

[SNIP]
> The trouble with bolillos and teleras, as with San Francisco Sour
> Dough bread is in the starter which is protected, somehow, from
> distribution. Also the seven thousand ft. elevation of Mexico City
> has a lot to do with the way the dough raises and is cooked which
> makes it almost impossible to duplicate anywhere else. Of course by
> now the San Francisco starter has spread, but it's tough to spread
> 7,000 ft elevations!

I don't agree with the altitude theory. I have had bolillos/teleras
in Mexico City, Cancun, Acapulco, Campeche, Palenque, Guadalajara,
Cuernavaca, Mazatlan, and many other places of varying altitudes, without
noting any great change in flavor or consistency.

I don't know about "starter", but there was one thing I noticed in
several of the bolillo recipes that I was eventually pointed to called
"Mejorante". Anyone know what "Mejorante" actually is?

--Douglas
Shelora

"Mejorante" wouldn't that refer to best before - mejor antes?

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message 27.77>...
> "Wayne Lundberg" > on 25 Nov 2003 suggested:
>

> [SNIP]
> > The trouble with bolillos and teleras, as with San Francisco Sour
> > Dough bread is in the starter which is protected, somehow, from
> > distribution. Also the seven thousand ft. elevation of Mexico City
> > has a lot to do with the way the dough raises and is cooked which
> > makes it almost impossible to duplicate anywhere else. Of course by
> > now the San Francisco starter has spread, but it's tough to spread
> > 7,000 ft elevations!
> >

> I don't agree with the altitude theory. I have had bolillos/teleras
> in Mexico City, Cancun, Acapulco, Campeche, Palenque, Guadalajara,
> Cuernavaca, Mazatlan, and many other places of varying altitudes, without
> noting any great change in flavor or consistency.
>
> I don't know about "starter", but there was one thing I noticed in
> several of the bolillo recipes that I was eventually pointed to called
> "Mejorante". Anyone know what "Mejorante" actually is?
>
> --Douglas

Wayne Lundberg

literal translation: a betterer... something that will make it better...
like hamburger helper?

In all my travels throughout Mexico, the Guadalajara, Cancun, Veracruz and
other bollillos and teleras are not equal to almost any bakery in the DF.
Remember, I have ten years of eating DF bolillos and teleras so my taste
buds may be a bit different than most.

Wayne
www.rcsailcars.com

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mejorante" wouldn't that refer to best before - mejor antes?
>

> "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message

27.77>...
> > "Wayne Lundberg" > on 25 Nov 2003 suggested:
> >

> > [SNIP]
> > > The trouble with bolillos and teleras, as with San Francisco Sour
> > > Dough bread is in the starter which is protected, somehow, from
> > > distribution. Also the seven thousand ft. elevation of Mexico City
> > > has a lot to do with the way the dough raises and is cooked which
> > > makes it almost impossible to duplicate anywhere else. Of course by
> > > now the San Francisco starter has spread, but it's tough to spread
> > > 7,000 ft elevations!
> > >

> > I don't agree with the altitude theory. I have had bolillos/teleras
> > in Mexico City, Cancun, Acapulco, Campeche, Palenque, Guadalajara,
> > Cuernavaca, Mazatlan, and many other places of varying altitudes,

without
> > noting any great change in flavor or consistency.
> >
> > I don't know about "starter", but there was one thing I noticed in
> > several of the bolillo recipes that I was eventually pointed to called
> > "Mejorante". Anyone know what "Mejorante" actually is?
> >
> > --Douglas

Douglas S. Ladden

"Wayne Lundberg" > on 26 Nov 2003 suggested:

> literal translation: a betterer... something that will make it
> better... like hamburger helper?

Yes, I know what the literal translation is. But what does the
ingredient of "mejorante" actually consist of?

> In all my travels throughout Mexico, the Guadalajara, Cancun,
> Veracruz and other bollillos and teleras are not equal to almost any
> bakery in the DF. Remember, I have ten years of eating DF bolillos
> and teleras so my taste buds may be a bit different than most.

Well, I've been eating bolillos and teleras from DF and elsewhere
since the late 60's. Maybe my tastebuds aren't that sensitive with
regards to bread. ^shrug^ They seem pretty similar to me, regardless of
where I eat them.

--Douglas

Shirley Ward

I usually lurk here, but this thread is driving me crazy. Doesn't anyone
have a recipe?

Here is a recipe for Bolillos that I cut from a Sunset magazine in 1971.
They are crusty and recipe makes 16 rolls.

BOLILLOS

2 cups water
1-1/2 T sugar
1 T salt
2 T butter
1 package active dry yeast
About 6 cups all purpose flour
1 t cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 C water

In a pan combine water, sugar, salt and butter. Warm over low heat stirring
to a temperature of between 105 and 115 degrees. Pour into a large bowl;
stir in yeast until dissolved. With an electric mixer or heavy spoon, beat
in 5 C of flour to form a dough.

Turn dough onto a board coated with about 1/2 C of the remaining flour and
knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and feels velvety; add
more flour if needed to keep the dough from sticking. Place in a greased
bowl and turn dough over to grease top. Cover with clear plastic film and
let rise in warm place until dough is almost double (about 1-1/2 hours).

Punch down and squeeze dough to release air bubbles, then turn out onto a
lightly floured board. Shape into a 16-inch roll and divide into 16 equal
pieces. Form each piece into a smooth ball by gently kneading. Shape each
ball into an oblong by rolling it gently pulling from the center to the ends
until it is about 4 inches long (the center should be thicker than the ends.
(it should be the shape of a small football or shuttle shaped.) Place rolls
about 3 inches apart (you will need three 12" x 15" pans.

In a standard sized oven with two racks, you can bake two sheets of rolls at
a time. If you have only one over, cover the third pan of shaped Bolillos
with clear plastic film and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes. Let rolls
rise, covered, for about 35 minutes (or 45 minutes if refrigerated) or until
they are almost doubled in size.

In a small pan, heat the cornstarch and water to boiling. Cool slightly and
brush each roll with the cornstarch mixture. Then with a sharp knife or
razor blade, cut a slash about 3/4 inch deep and about 2 inches long on top
of each roll.

Adjust oven racks so they are equally spaced from top to bottom, then
stagger the baking sheets to get the best heat distribution. Bake rolls in
a 375 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and sound hollow
when tapped. Cool them on wire racks and wrap tightly if you choose to save
them.

These are delicious hot out of the oven with real butter. These can be
reheated by placing directly on the racks of a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20
minutes.

Enjoy!

Shirley in AZ

David Wright

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:22:21 GMT, "Shirley Ward"
> wrote:

>I usually lurk here, but this thread is driving me crazy. Doesn't anyone
>have a recipe?

I don't have a recipe for something called bolillos, no, but when I
want some I use a formula for French bread (just flour, salt, yeast
and water) and make small loaves -- shorter than baguettes. Isn't that
their origin in Mexico?

David
Douglas S. Ladden

"Douglas S. Ladden" > on 24 Nov 2003
suggested:

> Howdy!
>
> Okay, I'm tired of not having any bolillos or teleras
> available to
> me here. Anyone know how to make these? I assume the dough will be
> the same for both, and that the only difference between the two will
> be in the shaping. I'm really looking forward to having fresh
> bolillos so I can make molletes, and other things! Any and all help
> is appreciated! Thanks!
>
> --Douglas

Hey everyone!!

The quest has ended! Out of pure chance and dumb luck, I found a
panaderia not 5 blocks from my house. It was tucked, very hidden, behind
a new Walgreens, next to a Quizno's. Had I not gone there, and then
noticed the Quizno's, which I wanted to check out, since I've seen a lot
of their commercials, I would never have seen the panaderia. When I saw
it, I immediately went in and started looking for bolillos. They had
them, I bought them, I came home and made molletes with beans, chorizo and
cheese. Yummy! Craving sated!

--Douglas
Abraham Martinez

Well In all my live that I spent in Mexico City (from birth untill I turned
21) also known as DF (Distrito Federal) I never had the need to compare the
taste from the bolillos or teleras to my opinion they all are the same, just
plain white bread if you ask me I think that the french baguette taste
better, less mejorante that by the way is just a starter to make the dough
rise, what really matters is what you put inside! there are some wicked
places in Polanco and Zona rosa (DF) where I could really die to get my
fingers on! so there I had to get it out of my chest. lol

Feliz Navidad para todos y Prospero Año Nuevo!

A.M.