Old Mossyfarts

Default Mexican Thanksgiving

Anyone want to post their menus and recipes for a Mexican themed
thanksgiving? For me I add tequila and chiles to the turkey, make tamales,
make a corn and squash vegetable dish (don't know what it's called), and
make a pumpkin flan. Also I bring pickled jalapeños to the table and add
Sangritas and Mexican beer. Anyone else have recipes to share?

JL?

mexican do not celebrate thanksgiving!!

jl
"Old Mossyfarts" > schreef in bericht
> Anyone want to post their menus and recipes for a Mexican themed
> thanksgiving? For me I add tequila and chiles to the turkey, make tamales,
> make a corn and squash vegetable dish (don't know what it's called), and
> make a pumpkin flan. Also I bring pickled jalapeños to the table and add
> Sangritas and Mexican beer. Anyone else have recipes to share?

Douglas S. Ladden

JL? on 21 Nov 2003 suggested:

> mexican do not celebrate thanksgiving!!

Perhaps not. However, many Mexicans who have come to the U.S. have
adopted the Thanksgiving holiday as part their practices, and adapted the
holiday with their own cooking styles and preferences. I think this is
what the original poster was looking for. How are people, if they are at
all, adding Mexican food touches to the Thanksgiving holiday. At least
that is what I understood the original poster to be asking.

--Douglas
Linda

We always have traditional Thanksgiving at our house, and then for Xmas eve
we have the tamales.

Linda

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
9.17...
> JL? on 21 Nov 2003 suggested:
>
> > mexican do not celebrate thanksgiving!!
> >

> Perhaps not. However, many Mexicans who have come to the U.S. have
> adopted the Thanksgiving holiday as part their practices, and adapted the
> holiday with their own cooking styles and preferences. I think this is
> what the original poster was looking for. How are people, if they are at
> all, adding Mexican food touches to the Thanksgiving holiday. At least
> that is what I understood the original poster to be asking.
>
> --Douglas

Wayne Lundberg

For the millions of Mexicans living in the US, and for the millions that
lived here then went back home, Thanksgiving is a wonderful day. Remember
the turkey is native American and the prime ingredient to moles of all
kinds. So if you want Mexican theme for thanksgiving, get some Mole Dona
Maria and go for broke!

Wayne
www.rcsailcars.com

"Old Mossyfarts" > wrote in message
> Anyone want to post their menus and recipes for a Mexican themed
> thanksgiving? For me I add tequila and chiles to the turkey, make tamales,
> make a corn and squash vegetable dish (don't know what it's called), and
> make a pumpkin flan. Also I bring pickled jalapeños to the table and add
> Sangritas and Mexican beer. Anyone else have recipes to share?

Rolly

I plan to have a pizza and beer party for about 25 of my Mexican
friends. Traditional? No, but I like pizza and beer, and so do my
friends.

Rolly

E-visit me in Mexico at Rollybrook.com
Old Mossyfarts

"JL?" > wrote in message
m...
> mexican do not celebrate thanksgiving!!

What part of "Mexican themed" don't you understand?

> jl
> "Old Mossyfarts" > schreef in bericht
> > Anyone want to post their menus and recipes for a Mexican themed
> > thanksgiving? For me I add tequila and chiles to the turkey, make

tamales,
> > make a corn and squash vegetable dish (don't know what it's called), and
> > make a pumpkin flan. Also I bring pickled jalapeños to the table and add
> > Sangritas and Mexican beer. Anyone else have recipes to share?

David Wright

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:44:23 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>For the millions of Mexicans living in the US, and for the millions that
>lived here then went back home, Thanksgiving is a wonderful day. Remember
>the turkey is native American and the prime ingredient to moles of all
>kinds. So if you want Mexican theme for thanksgiving, get some Mole Dona
>Maria and go for broke!
>
>Wayne

We'll be having a ham, but also turkey thighs that I will bone and
tie, then roast and then simmer with mole.

David
Wayne Lundberg

Yes!

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:44:23 GMT, "Wayne

Arturo

Anyone want to post their menus and recipes for a Mexican themed
thanksgiving?

This recipe is so good I recall it being published three times at the LA Times
Once for the original article, a second time for the best of year end and then
again the next year. My made it in 1996 and I still remember it as the best
turkey I have ever had.

Arturo

Yucatan Turkey Pibil

Ingredients
1 cup Achiote paste
1 tbsp Salt
1/2 cup Lime juice (about 6 limes)
1/2 cup Orange juice
2 tbsp Oil
1 (10-pound) turkey, giblets removed, thawed if frozen
2 large Or 3 small banana leaves, center ribs torn away
Salt, pepper
3 large White onions, sliced
4 large Tomatoes, sliced
3 Sprigs fresh epazote or 6 sprigs cilantro
1 Fresh habanero chile or 6 serrano chiles

Preparation
Combine achiote paste, salt, lime juice, orange juice and oil in
small bowl. Spread mixture over entire turkey. Line Dutch oven or
roasting pan with banana leaves (leaves can hang over side),
reserving enough to cover top.
Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Wash turkey well, then pat dry
and season inside and out with salt and pepper. Place turkey,
breast-side up, over leaves. Spread sliced onions and tomatoes over
top of turkey. Scatter epazote over top. Nestle chile on top of
turkey. Cover turkey with more banana leaves, tucking them in to
seal. Cover pan tightly with lid or foil. Roast at 325 degrees,
basting often, until nicely browned and thermometer inserted into
deepest part of thigh reads 175 degrees (155 degrees. Manny), about
15 minutes per pound.

Remove turkey from oven and let rest, uncovered, 15 to 30 minutes.
Remove and discard banana leaves and chile. Place turkey on platter.
Puree cooked onions and tomatoes with hand blender in cooking juices
to thicken sauce.
Makes 10 servings.

From Nancy Zaslavsky, Copyright Los Angeles Times, November 1995>

Smack S

"Arturo" > wrote in message
> Anyone want to post their menus and recipes for a Mexican themed
> thanksgiving?

Gee, where are people's manners?
Seems there no sense of community here.
Uh, er, WELCOME BACK Arturo (is it Mr. Quesada?) ....... belatedly!!!!!

>Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:06:07 GMT
>I'll be off line until ------>sometime next week<------
>as I'm moving (back) to L.A..

Mexican Pot Pie Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 29-12-2005 05:56 AM
Mexican Meat-zza: Mexican Deep-Dish Pan Pizza Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 05-10-2005 12:14 AM
Mexican Dip Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-06-2005 01:28 AM
Not mexican but OK Dimitri Mexican Cooking 3 21-04-2005 11:52 PM
Mexican Thanksgiving recipes/ideas Ginny Sher General Cooking 16 29-10-2004 06:50 AM