Linda

Default Enchiladas Placeras - Puebla, Mexico

sent to me via email, original source unknown.

ENCHILADAS PLACERAS
(Plaza-style Enchiladas)

Serves 4 to 6

These little enchiladas are
served every evening in the
main plaza of Xicotepec de
Juarez in the northern part
of the Sierra de Puebla that
adjoins the state of Veracruz.

Traditionally a serving consists
of 4 small (about 3 1/2-inch)
tortillas.

The tomato sauce should be of
a consistency that thinly covers the
tortillas. While the dish should be
eaten the moment it is assembled,
the component parts can be prepared ahead.

These enchiladas are sometimes filled with
refried black beans instead of shredded
meat, a good vegetarian dish.

1/4 C, approximately, melted lard or safflower oil for frying
16 3 1/2-inch or 12 4 1/2- to 5-inch corn tortillas
1 1/4 C salsa de jitomate, Sierra de Puebla (recipe follows), hot
1 C res deshebrada for Salpicon (recipe follows), kept hot
1/4 C finely chopped white onion
1/4 C finely grated queso anejo or Romano cheese

Have ready a tray lined with paper toweling.

Heat a little of the lard to cover the bottom of a frying
pan and fry 2 of the tortillas at a time for about 5 seconds
on each side, adding more lard as necessary.

They should not become crisp around the edge; drain on the
paper toweling.

Immerse the tortillas in the hot sauce for a few seconds.

Fill each one with a scant TBS of the shredded beef, roll
the tortillas up, cover with a little of the sauce, sprinkle
with onion and cheese, and serve immediately.

Salsa de Jitomate, Sierra de Puebla

1 1/2 lbs (about 3 large) tomatoes
4 (or to taste) chiles serranos
2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
3 TBS safflower oil
sea salt to taste

It is essential to have good ripe tomatoes for this.

If none are available, choose another sauce.

Put the tomatoes into a pan with the fresh chiles,
cover with water, bring to a simmer, and cook at
a fast simmer until fairly soft but not falling
apart, about 5 minutes, depending on the size of
the tomatoes.

Set aside.

Put the garlic, chiles and 1/3 cup of the cooking water into
a blender jar and blend until well broken, about 5 seconds.

Add the unpeeled tomatoes and blend for a few seconds; the
sauce should have a roughish texture.

Heat the oil in a frying pan or cazuela, add the sauce, and
cook over high heat, stirring from time to time, and scraping
the bottom of the pan, until reduced and the raw taste of
garlic has disappeared, about 6-8 minutes.

Add salt to taste.

Makes about 2 1/4 cups.

Res Deshebrada (Shredded Beef)

1 1/4 lbs skirt or flank steak with some fat
1 small white onion, roughly chopped
3 cilantro sprigs
2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
sea salt to taste

Cut the steaks, along the grain, not against it,
into 2-inch pieces.

Put the meat into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients,
barely cover with water and simmer until tender, about 25
minutes for skirt steak and 35 for flank.

Allow the meat to cool off in the broth.

Strain, reserving the broth.

When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove any gristle
or sinew and shred roughly.

Wayne Lundberg

Shame on you Linda! It's two pm and lunchtime for my Mexican trained
stomach.... and not a market style enchilada or taco anywhere in sight!!

I'm almost ready to jump in my car and go to Tijuana and stop at the first
street food vendor!

Wayne

"Linda" > wrote in message
> [...]
> cook over high heat, stirring from time to time, and scraping
> the bottom of the pan, until reduced and the raw taste of
> garlic has disappeared, about 6-8 minutes.
>
> Add salt to taste.
>
> Makes about 2 1/4 cups.
>
> Res Deshebrada (Shredded Beef)
>
> 1 1/4 lbs skirt or flank steak with some fat
> 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
> 3 cilantro sprigs
> 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
> sea salt to taste
>
> Cut the steaks, along the grain, not against it,
> into 2-inch pieces.
>
> Put the meat into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients,
> barely cover with water and simmer until tender, about 25
> minutes for skirt steak and 35 for flank.
>
> Allow the meat to cool off in the broth.
>
> Strain, reserving the broth.
>
> When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove any gristle

Jay P Francis

I think it's Diana Kennedy's recipe. I think.
Wayne Lundberg

And Diana got it from the street vendors!

Wayne

"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> I think it's Diana Kennedy's recipe. I think.

Jim Lane

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> [...]
>>cook over high heat, stirring from time to time, and scraping
>>the bottom of the pan, until reduced and the raw taste of
>>garlic has disappeared, about 6-8 minutes.
>>
>>Add salt to taste.
>>
>>Makes about 2 1/4 cups.
>>
>>Res Deshebrada (Shredded Beef)
>>
>> 1 1/4 lbs skirt or flank steak with some fat
>> 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
>> 3 cilantro sprigs
>> 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
>> sea salt to taste
>>
>>Cut the steaks, along the grain, not against it,
>>into 2-inch pieces.
>>
>>Put the meat into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients,
>>barely cover with water and simmer until tender, about 25
>>minutes for skirt steak and 35 for flank.
>>
>>Allow the meat to cool off in the broth.
>>
>>Strain, reserving the broth.
>>
>>When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove any gristle

Just back from a day wandering the shops off the bridge into Tijuana.
Really nice chili relleno, beans, rice and very good corn tortillas -
$3. Little Jaliscan hideyhole. Next Friday is a day-run to Ensenada,
different street food.

jim

David Wright

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:53:36 -0800, Jim Lane >
wrote:

>Just back from a day wandering the shops off the bridge into Tijuana.
>Really nice chili relleno, beans, rice and very good corn tortillas -
>$3. Little Jaliscan hideyhole. Next Friday is a day-run to Ensenada,
>different street food.
>

>jim

Jim, this is not a flame, but would you mind, please, clipping the
part of the post you're not referring to? That *was* a bunch of stuff
to get through to see your four lines.

Thank you,
David
Jim Lane

David Wright wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:53:36 -0800, Jim Lane >
> wrote:
>

>>Just back from a day wandering the shops off the bridge into Tijuana.
>>Really nice chili relleno, beans, rice and very good corn tortillas -
>>$3. Little Jaliscan hideyhole. Next Friday is a day-run to Ensenada,
>>different street food.
>>

>>jim
>>

> Jim, this is not a flame, but would you mind, please, clipping the
> part of the post you're not referring to? That *was* a bunch of stuff
> to get through to see your four lines.
>
> Thank you,
> David

Mea culpa. You are right. I slapped my head when I posted and cursed
myself in seven ancient and totally unknown languages for not having
clipped the post.

That is one reason why I like top posting. If a idiot like me doesn't
clip the post, all you have to do is see the first part to get the message.

jim

Linda

LOL! Everytime I go into Tijuana, all I do is eat all day, eat and eat and
eat!

Linda

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > cook over high heat, stirring from time to time, and scraping
> > the bottom of the pan, until reduced and the raw taste of
> > garlic has disappeared, about 6-8 minutes.
> >
> > Add salt to taste.
> >
> > Makes about 2 1/4 cups.
> >
> > Res Deshebrada (Shredded Beef)
> >
> > 1 1/4 lbs skirt or flank steak with some fat
> > 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
> > 3 cilantro sprigs
> > 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
> > sea salt to taste
> >
> > Cut the steaks, along the grain, not against it,
> > into 2-inch pieces.
> >
> > Put the meat into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients,
> > barely cover with water and simmer until tender, about 25
> > minutes for skirt steak and 35 for flank.
> >
> > Allow the meat to cool off in the broth.
> >
> > Strain, reserving the broth.
> >
> > When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove any gristle

Linda

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> [...]

> >>Res Deshebrada (Shredded Beef)
> >>
> >> 1 1/4 lbs skirt or flank steak with some fat
> >> 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
> >> 3 cilantro sprigs
> >> 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
> >> sea salt to taste
> >>
> >>Cut the steaks, along the grain, not against it,
> >>into 2-inch pieces.
> >>
> >>Put the meat into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients,
> >>barely cover with water and simmer until tender, about 25
> >>minutes for skirt steak and 35 for flank.
> >>
> >>Allow the meat to cool off in the broth.
> >>
> >>Strain, reserving the broth.
> >>
> >>When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove any gristle
> >>or sinew and shred roughly.
> >>

> Just back from a day wandering the shops off the bridge into Tijuana.
> Really nice chili relleno, beans, rice and very good corn tortillas -
> $3. Little Jaliscan hideyhole. Next Friday is a day-run to Ensenada,

Those little hideyholes are the best. Stay aqway from Avenida Revolution,
those are tourist traps.

Linda

Linda

ooopse! and I just did it !

Sorry, sorry, sorry..

Linda
"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:53:36 -0800, Jim Lane >
> wrote:
>
> >Just back from a day wandering the shops off the bridge into Tijuana.
> >Really nice chili relleno, beans, rice and very good corn tortillas -
> >$3. Little Jaliscan hideyhole. Next Friday is a day-run to Ensenada,
> >different street food.
> >

> >jim
> >

> Jim, this is not a flame, but would you mind, please, clipping the
> part of the post you're not referring to? That *was* a bunch of stuff
> to get through to see your four lines.
>
> Thank you,
> David

David Wright

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:55:38 -0800, Jim Lane >
wrote:

>That is one reason why I like top posting. If a idiot like me doesn't
>clip the post, all you have to do is see the first part to get the message.
>

>jim

Ahhh, but if your server hasn't yet gotten the message, or you don't
remember the message being referred to, you *still* have to scroll to
the end to see the context. I usually top post for e-mail, bottom post
for usenet, but that's just IMO.

David
David Wright

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:37:33 -0800, "Linda" >
wrote:

>ENCHILADAS PLACERAS
>(Plaza-style Enchiladas)

[great looking recipe snipped and saved]

>Res Deshebrada (Shredded Beef)

Is this the same thing as ropas viejas, "old clothes"?

David
Jim Lane

David Wright wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:55:38 -0800, Jim Lane >
> wrote:

> Ahhh, but if your server hasn't yet gotten the message, or you don't
> remember the message being referred to, you *still* have to scroll to
> the end to see the context. I usually top post for e-mail, bottom post
> for usenet, but that's just IMO.
>
> David

Of course, memory is a key element here. Perhaps those who cannot get
the gist of the thread from the reply should include more fruit, or an
agua fresca or two, in their diet.

jim

Jim Lane

Linda wrote:

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
>>Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>>
>>>Shame on you Linda! It's two pm and lunchtime for my Mexican trained
>>>stomach.... and not a market style enchilada or taco anywhere in sight!!
>>>
>>>I'm almost ready to jump in my car and go to Tijuana and stop at the

> first
>
>>>street food vendor!
>>>
>>>Wayne

snip

>>Just back from a day wandering the shops off the bridge into Tijuana.
>>Really nice chili relleno, beans, rice and very good corn tortillas -
>>$3. Little Jaliscan hideyhole. Next Friday is a day-run to Ensenada,
>>different street food.
>>

>>jim
>>

> Those little hideyholes are the best. Stay aqway from Avenida Revolution,
> those are tourist traps.
>
> Linda

The only place I regularly patronized on Avenida Revolucion was
Guillermo's, which is long gone. A couple of the fish places are good,
but pricier than others. Of the tourist traps, I view Tijuana Tilly's as
being the worst.

jim

Jim Lane

Linda wrote:

> LOL! Everytime I go into Tijuana, all I do is eat all day, eat and eat and
> eat!
>
> Linda
>
> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>
>>Shame on you Linda! It's two pm and lunchtime for my Mexican trained
>>stomach.... and not a market style enchilada or taco anywhere in sight!!
>>
>>I'm almost ready to jump in my car and go to Tijuana and stop at the first
>>street food vendor!
>>
>>Wayne

snip

Here's a plot - why don't those of us in the SD-Tijuana area get
together and cruise some street food. Say, once a month and each month a
different person picks the place(s). We could set a common meeting place
based on the area we are hitting.

Hmmmm.

Linda

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> Linda wrote:
>
> > LOL! Everytime I go into Tijuana, all I do is eat all day, eat and eat

and
> > eat!
> >
> > Linda
> >
> > "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Shame on you Linda! It's two pm and lunchtime for my Mexican trained
> >>stomach.... and not a market style enchilada or taco anywhere in sight!!
> >>
> >>I'm almost ready to jump in my car and go to Tijuana and stop at the

first
> >>street food vendor!
> >>
> >>Wayne

> snip
>
> Here's a plot - why don't those of us in the SD-Tijuana area get
> together and cruise some street food. Say, once a month and each month a
> different person picks the place(s). We could set a common meeting place
> based on the area we are hitting.
>
> Hmmmm.

.......Sounds like a plan....

Wayne Lundberg

"Linda" > wrote in message

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> > Linda wrote:
> >
> > > LOL! Everytime I go into Tijuana, all I do is eat all day, eat and

eat
> and
> > > eat!

---snip---
The first place I want to try is Linda's Birria Guadalajara which I have yet
to find. Birria tacos are among my favorites and apparently this place is on
a street parallel to the infamous Revolucion and in the middle of 'real'
Mexico.

So, once again Linda, can you post the address or cross streets?

Wayne

Linda

Birriera Guadalajara
Pues SA De CV Constitution
Tijuana, BC

I believe it's about 2 blocks west of Revolution, and then turn right and go
down maybe 3 blocks..

O.k. Wayne, I must tell you, honestly, it is located in the middle of the
red light district...ahem....but nobody bothers you and the restaurant
itself is clean and orderly, and the birria is out of this world!

Linda

Linda
"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Linda" > wrote in message

> eat
> > and
> > > >

> ---snip---
> The first place I want to try is Linda's Birria Guadalajara which I have

yet
> to find. Birria tacos are among my favorites and apparently this place is

on
> a street parallel to the infamous Revolucion and in the middle of 'real'
> Mexico.
>
> So, once again Linda, can you post the address or cross streets?
>
> Wayne

David Wright

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:42:16 -0800, Jim Lane >
wrote:

>Of course, memory is a key element here. Perhaps those who cannot get
>the gist of the thread from the reply should include more fruit, or an
>agua fresca or two, in their diet.
>jim

Are you suggesting that it's the reader's fault that you won't snip
when you post so you can make a point?

David
Jim Lane

David Wright wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:42:16 -0800, Jim Lane >
> wrote:
>

>>Of course, memory is a key element here. Perhaps those who cannot get
>>the gist of the thread from the reply should include more fruit, or an
>>agua fresca or two, in their diet.
>>jim

> Are you suggesting that it's the reader's fault that you won't snip
> when you post so you can make a point?
>
> David

What it means is that some of us can remember what we have read before.
In all the years of reading messgaes, there have been very few cases
where I have had to read all the way down to remember the post. Usually
the first few lines remind me.

It case it went over your head, mentally insert a ;-0 here.

jim

Wayne Lundberg

I've got to give it a try!

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Birriera Guadalajara
> Pues SA De CV Constitution
> Tijuana, BC
>

> I believe it's about 2 blocks west of Revolution, and then turn right and

go
> down maybe 3 blocks..
>
> O.k. Wayne, I must tell you, honestly, it is located in the middle of the
> red light district...ahem....but nobody bothers you and the restaurant
> itself is clean and orderly, and the birria is out of this world!
>
> Linda
>
> Linda
> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Linda" > wrote in message

and
> > eat
> > > and
> > > > >

> > ---snip---
> > The first place I want to try is Linda's Birria Guadalajara which I have

> yet
> > to find. Birria tacos are among my favorites and apparently this place

is
> on
> > a street parallel to the infamous Revolucion and in the middle of 'real'
> > Mexico.
> >
> > So, once again Linda, can you post the address or cross streets?
> >
> > Wayne

Linda

If you have any problem finding it, just ask someone,
everyone knows of the place.

news