Rich McCormack

Default Arroz

Mexican-Style Rice

1 cup - long grain rice
2 tablespoons - vegetable oil
2 cups - chicken broth
1 tablespoon - chopped onion
2 teaspoons - chopped green chile
2 teaspoons - chopped red chile
salt and pepper or other seasoning to taste

Heat oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion and chiles. Briefly
sauté veggies until limp. Add rice and continue to sauté veggies
and rice, stirring frequently, until rice begins to turn golden.
Add broth, salt and pepper or other seasoning to taste. Bring
to a boil, lower heat to simmer, cover pan with a tight fitting
lid and cook for 25 minutes or until liquid is fully absorbed.
After cooking, let rice sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Arroz Blanco

1 cup - long grain rice
2 tablespoons - vegetable oil
2 cups - water
1 tablespoon - chopped onion
salt to taste

Heat oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion and briefly sauté
until limp. Add rice and continue to sauté, stirring frequently,
until rice is opaque. Do not let rice brown. Add water and salt
to taste. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, cover pan with
a tight fitting lid and cook for 25 minutes or until water is fully
absorbed. After cooking, let rice sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Arroz Gualdo

1 cup - long grain rice
2 tablespoons - vegetable oil
2 teaspoons - achiote (annatto seeds)
2 cups - chicken broth
1 tablespoon - chopped onion
1 clove - garlic, minced
salt to taste

Heat oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add achiote and continue
heating over low heat until the seeds are dark brown. Remove seeds
and discard. The oil should be a reddish-orange color. Add chopped
onion and minced garlic. Saute over medium heat until tender. Add
rice and saute until opaque. Do not let rice brown. Add broth and
salt to taste. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, cover pan
with a tight fitting lid and cook for 25 minutes or until liquid
is fully absorbed. After cooking, let rice sit for 5 minutes
before serving.

Arroz Roja

1 cup - long grain rice
2 tablespoons - vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups - chicken broth
1/4 cup - salsa roja
1 tablespoon - chopped onion
2 teaspoons - chopped red chile
salt and pepper or other seasoning to taste

Heat oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion and chiles. Briefly
sauté veggies until limp. Add rice and continue to sauté veggies
and rice, stirring frequently, until rice begins to turn golden.
Add broth, salsa roja and salt and pepper or other seasoning to
taste. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, cover pan with
a tight fitting lid and cook for 25 minutes or until liquid is
fully absorbed. After cooking, let rice sit for 5 minutes before
serving.

Arroz Verde

1 cup - long grain rice
2 tablespoons - vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups - chicken broth
1/4 cup - salsa verde
1 tablespoon - chopped onion
2 teaspoons - chopped green chile
salt and pepper or other seasoning to taste

Heat oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion and chiles.
Briefly sauté veggies until limp. Add rice and continue
to sauté veggies and rice, stirring frequently, until rice
begins to turn opaque. Do not let rice brown. Add broth,
salsa verde and salt and pepper or other seasoning to taste.
Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer, cover pan with a tight
fitting lid and cook for 25 minutes or until liquid is fully
absorbed. After cooking, let rice sit for 5 minutes before
serving.
Linda

Thanks for sharing these with us, I personally like red rice and I boil or
cook a tomato and then puree it in the blender and mix it in the rice after
the rice is fried but before the liquid is added.

Linda

Arroz con Pollo Gunner Mexican Cooking 1 07-12-2006 05:59 PM
Arroz Dulce International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 30-11-2006 02:10 PM
Arroz al Liberal Louis Cohen General Cooking 9 11-12-2005 08:53 PM
Arroz Con Huevos Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 30-07-2005 06:08 PM