Douglas S. Ladden

Default Help with Vegetarian Side?

Hello Folks!

I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having great
difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as opposed to a
salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican vegetarian side dish,
which is why I enlist your help. If you have any suggestions or recipes,
please let me know. Thanks!

--Douglas
Jack Schidt®

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
9.17...
> Hello Folks!
>
> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
> dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having great
> difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as opposed to a
> salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican vegetarian side dish,
> which is why I enlist your help. If you have any suggestions or recipes,
> please let me know. Thanks!
>
> --Douglas

I got this from this site: http://www.tasteoftx.com/recipes/rice.html

Papas Fritas Con Rajas
Potatoes Fried With Chile Strips

8 chiles poblanos
-- roasted and peeled
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 1/2 medium onions
-- thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
2 pounds red bliss
or other waxy potatoes

This is an excellent accompaniment
for roasted and broiled meats.
Cook the potatoes but be careful
not to cook them too much;
they should be al dente,
or they will disintegrate
during the frying.

Remove the seeds and veins
from the chiles
and cut them into strips
about 1 1/2 inhes long
and 1/2 inch wide.
If the chiles seem too
picante, soak them
in salted water
for about 30 minutes.
Heat the oil and
fry the onions gently,
without browning them,
until they are soft.

Add the chile strips,
potatoes, and salt to
the onions in the pan.
Without covering the pan,
fry the potatoes until
they are nicely browned,
stirring the mixture
from time to time,
as the chile and
onions are apt to
stick to the bottom
of the pan.

Frogleg

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:43:05 GMT, "Douglas S. Ladden"
> wrote:

> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
>dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having great
>difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as opposed to a
>salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican vegetarian side dish,
>which is why I enlist your help. If you have any suggestions or recipes,
>please let me know. Thanks!

Shouldn't be hard, considering the variations on beans, cheese,
tortillas, and chile. I had some lovely enchiladas in a restaurant
which I have casually reproduced using sauted onion & spinach with
cheese (both/either jack and ricotta) to fill and red sauce and more
cheese to cover before baking.

I suppose a "Mexican vegetarian" side could be either any veg with
chile added, or just about any veg prep with fried tortilla strips as
garnish. :-)

Doña Martha's chile rellenos, if you want to take the trouble, would
be impressive:

http://www.rollybrook.com/chiles_rellenos.htm
Shelora

Hi,
I live the vegetarian capitol of the world, so I can suggest a few
side dishes for you.
First of all, salsas work perfectly, as do the wonderful Mexican dish,
tortitas de papa, otherwise known as potato cakes. They can be served
with a salsa, made appetizer size and served with a salsa on the side
or made larger and served with a tomato caldo, like a traditional
chile relleno.
Speaking of chile rellenos, this is a dish I was served once in D.F.,
and is something I love to make in a pinch. Take some anaheim pepper,
char, peel and stuff with cooked and seasoned rice and cheese
(whatever you have on hand is fine). This is assuming these
vegetarians eat cheese.
You line all the stuffed chilies in a casserole dish, add a bit of
stock or even water to the bottom so they don't stick, cover with foil
and heat through.
Delicious.
Since its the Fall season, there are still a lot of squash about, if
you can find mini ones, stuff them with a vegetarian style picadillo -
saute onions, garlic, add rice, cheese, perhaps some chopped up
toasted almonds or variations like spinach and goat cheese, with
raisins that have been plumped up with a bit of tequila and orange
juice.
Actually, I think I'll make that for dinner - not that I'm a
vegetarian. Heaven forbid.
Just a few ideas, let me know if you need more details.
Buen provecho!

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message 99.17>...
> Hello Folks!
>
> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
> dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having great
> difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as opposed to a
> salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican vegetarian side dish,
> which is why I enlist your help. If you have any suggestions or recipes,
> please let me know. Thanks!
>
> --Douglas

Becca

There are plenty of vegetables you could take. Zuchinni, corn, carrots,
spinach, pinto beans.

Stuffed Zucchini

6 medium zucchini squash, washed and trimmed
6 strips smoked bacon
2 tsp. butter
1 1/2 C. grated Chihuahua, Manchego or Gouda cheese
1 C. cream
1 tsp. oil
3 tsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional butter for greasing

Preparation:

Dice bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out middle, leaving a shell. Place the
zucchini shells in a pan with water to cover and cook until just tender but still firm.
(DO NOT overcook).

Melt the butter in a saucepan or deep skillet, chop the zucchini pulp and add it to
the butter. Sauté this for a few minutes until tender, then add the flour and stir well
to combine. Add the cream, 1 cup of the grated cheese, garlic powder and salt and
pepper to taste.

Place the zucchini shells, open side up, in a greased baking dish and fill with the
zucchini pulp mixture. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and the bacon and
bake in a 150°C oven 30 - 40 minutes or until the cheese melts and begins to
brown. Serves 6

Dimitri

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
9.17...
> Hello Folks!
>
> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
> dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having great
> difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as opposed to a
> salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican vegetarian side dish,
> which is why I enlist your help. If you have any suggestions or recipes,
> please let me know. Thanks!
>
> --Douglas

Su

Go he http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/menu/frame.html

Click on vegetables.

Dimitri

Douglas S. Ladden

Becca on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

> There are plenty of vegetables you could take. Zuchinni, corn,
> carrots, spinach, pinto beans.
>
> Stuffed Zucchini
>
> 6 medium zucchini squash, washed and trimmed
> 6 strips smoked bacon
> 2 tsp. butter
> 1 1/2 C. grated Chihuahua, Manchego or Gouda cheese
> 1 C. cream
> 1 tsp. oil
> 3 tsp. all purpose flour
> 1 tsp. garlic powder
> Salt and pepper to taste
> Additional butter for greasing
>
> Preparation:
>
> Dice bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels and
> set aside.

Thanks, this sounds yummy! I may make it for myself, but I can't
take it to this dinner as it is not vegetarian. Heck, it isn't even
Kosher! Wait! That's a different NG! *grin*

--Douglas
David Wright

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:43:05 GMT, "Douglas S. Ladden"
> wrote:

>Hello Folks!
>
> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
>dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, ...

I've been looking through "Meatless Mexican Home Cooking" (Nancy
Zaslavsky) for something I would make for this dinner.

Jack jumped right in with the rice and potato dishes, so I'll suggest
Zaslavsky's Baked Layered Tortilla-Chile Casserole, Pastel del Pobres
(cake of the poor).

It's a lasagne-type stack of corn tortillas, quickly fried as for
enchiladas, and arranged with layers of tomato sauce, crema, dry
cheese, and rajas (strips of roasted chiles), then bake in a 375F oven
for about 15 minutes.

Looks good to me, especially for a potluck. It could be good warm from
the oven or at room temp.

David
Jack Schidt®

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
7.77...
> Becca on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:
>
> > There are plenty of vegetables you could take. Zuchinni, corn,
> > carrots, spinach, pinto beans.
> >
> > Stuffed Zucchini
> >
> > 6 medium zucchini squash, washed and trimmed
> > 6 strips smoked bacon
> > 2 tsp. butter
> > 1 1/2 C. grated Chihuahua, Manchego or Gouda cheese
> > 1 C. cream
> > 1 tsp. oil
> > 3 tsp. all purpose flour
> > 1 tsp. garlic powder
> > Salt and pepper to taste
> > Additional butter for greasing
> >
> > Preparation:
> >
> > Dice bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels and
> > set aside.
> >

> Thanks, this sounds yummy! I may make it for myself, but I can't
> take it to this dinner as it is not vegetarian. Heck, it isn't even
> Kosher! Wait! That's a different NG! *grin*
>
> --Douglas

Drop the bacon and it'll satisfy both.

Jack

Douglas S. Ladden

Shelora on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

> Hi,
> I live the vegetarian capitol of the world, so I can suggest a few
> side dishes for you.

Cool! I barely even eat vegetables. If I had to become
vegetarian, I would wither and die.

> First of all, salsas work perfectly, as do the wonderful Mexican
> dish, tortitas de papa, otherwise known as potato cakes. They can be
> served with a salsa, made appetizer size and served with a salsa on
> the side or made larger and served with a tomato caldo, like a
> traditional chile relleno.

This sounds like a possible option, as it puts the spiciness,
which I also do not eat, on the side. If you can point me to a recipe
for this, it would be appreciated.

> Speaking of chile rellenos, this is a dish I was served once in D.F.,
> and is something I love to make in a pinch. Take some anaheim pepper,
> char, peel and stuff with cooked and seasoned rice and cheese
> (whatever you have on hand is fine). This is assuming these
> vegetarians eat cheese.

I have only had chiles rellenos once, filled with picadillo. I
was very surprised when I ate them that they were not spicy. Since they
were chiles, I had always assumed they would be, and had always avoided
them. But at this baptismal party I attended, I could not avoid eating
them without insulting the hosts who were the parents of the child, and
was delightfully surprised. Though I still don't understand why the
chiles were NOT spicy.

> Since its the Fall season, there are still a lot of squash about, if
> you can find mini ones, stuff them with a vegetarian style picadillo
> - saute onions, garlic, add rice, cheese, perhaps some chopped up
> toasted almonds or variations like spinach and goat cheese, with
> raisins that have been plumped up with a bit of tequila and orange
> juice.

This sounds really good! It may be one of the easiest to (a)
prepare, and (b) wing it, if necessary.

> Just a few ideas, let me know if you need more details.

Thank you!

--Douglas

Douglas S. Ladden

Dimitri on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

> "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> 9.17...
>> Hello Folks!
>>
>> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
>> dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having
>> great difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as
>> opposed to a salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican
>> vegetarian side dish, which is why I enlist your help. If you have
>> any suggestions or recipes, please let me know. Thanks!
>>
>> --Douglas

> Su
>
> Go he http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/menu/frame.html
>
> Click on vegetables.

That is where I started, Dimitri. I had even posted that site as
a great place for Mexican recipes. One of the things I forgot to
mention, and is somewhat important, is that I do not eat spicy food,
like chiles, and I would really like to be able to eat what I bring.
I'll blame that oversight on the fact that it was so late when I posted,
but sadly, I still have not slept, so this post may not be any more
effective.

All of the Mexican dishes with vegetables that I have found seem
to either have Chile and/or meat, or just be salads. I like the tortas
de papa I saw in another post, and may go with that, since the salsa can
be put on the side. Also the stuffed squash looked like a possibility.

--Douglas
The Ranger

David Wright > suggested in message
news
> I've been looking through "Meatless Mexican Home Cooking"
[snip]
> dry cheese, [snip rest]

What's this? Any particular brand or style?

The Ranger

David Wright

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:24:20 -0800, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>David Wright > suggested in message
>news
>> I've been looking through "Meatless Mexican Home Cooking"

>[snip]
>> dry cheese, [snip rest]

>What's this? Any particular brand or style?

She suggests queso añejo or Parmesan. I think I would want to use a
mild, melting cheese as well.

BTW, to Douglas, the OP, if you used Poblano or Anaheim (from
California) chiles, the dish would be mild.

David

>The Ranger

Douglas S. Ladden

David Wright on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:24:20 -0800, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>
>>David Wright > suggested in message
>>news
>>> I've been looking through "Meatless Mexican Home Cooking"

>>[snip]
>>> dry cheese, [snip rest]

>>What's this? Any particular brand or style?

> She suggests queso añejo or Parmesan. I think I would want to use a
> mild, melting cheese as well.
>
> BTW, to Douglas, the OP, if you used Poblano or Anaheim (from
> California) chiles, the dish would be mild.

Okay, thanks! I will look into that.

--Douglas
Dimitri

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
7.77...
> Dimitri on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

<snip>

> That is where I started, Dimitri. I had even posted that site as
> a great place for Mexican recipes. One of the things I forgot to
> mention, and is somewhat important, is that I do not eat spicy food,
> like chiles, and I would really like to be able to eat what I bring.
> I'll blame that oversight on the fact that it was so late when I posted,
> but sadly, I still have not slept, so this post may not be any more
> effective.
>
> All of the Mexican dishes with vegetables that I have found seem
> to either have Chile and/or meat, or just be salads. I like the tortas
> de papa I saw in another post, and may go with that, since the salsa can
> be put on the side. Also the stuffed squash looked like a possibility.
>
> --Douglas

Then go he
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/a.../indexall.html

Remember several things:

1. Generally the canned diced green chilies are not hot but add a lot of
flavor.
2. The amount of hot is up to the individual and due to that IMHO it is
almost always OK to put the hot on the side as a condiment.
3. Cream and sour cream to me tone down the natural hot.

4. Finally if you have the facility just roast some corn on a grill, when
cooked and charred a little cut off the kernels. Sauté some red bell
pepper, add the corn some butter and lime (not lemon) juice, salt and
pepper.

Call it Roasted corn Douglas... ;-)

Dimitri

Shelora

Hello Douglas,
First the tortitas de papas. Here is a recipe that can easily be
adjusted depending on the starchiness of the potatoes and the
ingredients needed to hold it together.

Vegetable oil for frying
2 1/2 lbs, potatoes, peeled and quartered.
1/4 - 1/2 cup Maseca or flour or corn starch*
sea salt to taste
1 cup dry cheese (parmesean, romano, cotija or feta)

Peel and cook potatoes unti tender. Drain and when potatoes are cool
enough to handle, break up the spuds with a fork, making a rough
texture.Add salt, cheese and masa (or substitute), so the mixture
holds a firm shape when squeezed.
Heat oil and fry cakes until golden brown, turning gently to cook the
other side. Move to paper towels to drain any excess oil. Eat right
away or keep hot in a 300' oven. Or re-heat. Serve with your favourite
salsa.

* you can also add eggs to bind instead of a starch. Use your
judgement as to how many,perhaps add one at a time.
____________
The stuffed squash,
do you need help here? sounds like you are on the right track of
winging it.
Just let me know,
Shelora
By the way, the main source of heat is contained in the seeds and the
veins of the chile. Heat intensity can also change due to many
factors, crops from year to year, sun, etc.
When you make a chile relleno, it is usually customary to remove the
seed s and veins after roasting. However, it is not always a guarantee
that the chile will be mild.
my two cents.

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message 27.77>...
> Dimitri on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:
>

> > "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> > 9.17...
> >> Hello Folks!
> >>
> >> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
> >> dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having
> >> great difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as
> >> opposed to a salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican
> >> vegetarian side dish, which is why I enlist your help. If you have
> >> any suggestions or recipes, please let me know. Thanks!
> >>
> >> --Douglas

> > Su
> >
> > Go he http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/menu/frame.html
> >
> > Click on vegetables.

> That is where I started, Dimitri. I had even posted that site as
> a great place for Mexican recipes. One of the things I forgot to
> mention, and is somewhat important, is that I do not eat spicy food,
> like chiles, and I would really like to be able to eat what I bring.
> I'll blame that oversight on the fact that it was so late when I posted,
> but sadly, I still have not slept, so this post may not be any more
> effective.
>
> All of the Mexican dishes with vegetables that I have found seem
> to either have Chile and/or meat, or just be salads. I like the tortas
> de papa I saw in another post, and may go with that, since the salsa can
> be put on the side. Also the stuffed squash looked like a possibility.
>
> --Douglas

JL?

"Douglas S. Ladden" > schreef in bericht
7.77...
> Shelora on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:
>
> Cool! I barely even eat vegetables. If I had to become
> vegetarian, I would wither and die.

I used to say the same but after 5 years of beign vegetarian I can say: I'm
alive, happy and healthy!
you just have to have more imagination when you cook

jl;

JL?

bacon is not vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jl
"Becca" > schreef in bericht
> There are plenty of vegetables you could take. Zuchinni, corn, carrots,
> spinach, pinto beans.
>
> Stuffed Zucchini
>
> 6 medium zucchini squash, washed and trimmed
> 6 strips smoked bacon
> 2 tsp. butter
> 1 1/2 C. grated Chihuahua, Manchego or Gouda cheese
> 1 C. cream
> 1 tsp. oil
> 3 tsp. all purpose flour
> 1 tsp. garlic powder
> Salt and pepper to taste
> Additional butter for greasing
>
> Preparation:
>
> Dice bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set

aside.

> Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out middle, leaving

a shell. Place the
> zucchini shells in a pan with water to cover and cook until just

tender but still firm.
> (DO NOT overcook).
>
> Melt the butter in a saucepan or deep skillet, chop the zucchini

pulp and add it to
> the butter. Sauté this for a few minutes until tender, then add

the flour and stir well
> to combine. Add the cream, 1 cup of the grated cheese, garlic

powder and salt and
> pepper to taste.
>
> Place the zucchini shells, open side up, in a greased baking

dish and fill with the
> zucchini pulp mixture. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese

and the bacon and
> bake in a 150°C oven 30 - 40 minutes or until the cheese melts

and begins to
> brown. Serves 6

Douglas S. Ladden

JL? on 12 Nov 2003 suggested:

> "Douglas S. Ladden" > schreef in bericht
> 7.77...
>> Shelora on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:
>>
>> Cool! I barely even eat vegetables. If I had to become
>> vegetarian, I would wither and die.
>>

> I used to say the same but after 5 years of beign vegetarian I can
> say: I'm alive, happy and healthy!
> you just have to have more imagination when you cook

That may be the problem! *laf* I don't cook. I just eat and
kibbitz. I haven't been impressed by any strictly vegetarian meal anyone
has ever served me. I keep trying though, by going to these vegetarian
dinners.

--Douglas
Wayne Lundberg

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
9.17...
> Hello Folks!
>
> I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
> dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having great
> difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as opposed to .

---snip---

The overwhelming majority of Mexican fare is meatless. Meat is traditionally
consumed once or twice a month and this includes chicken, fish, beef, pork,
etc.

Think of spinach enchiladas, squash flower quesadillas, mole on rice with
corn tortillas, tostadas with avocado as the 'meat', rice, beans, refrieds
with totopos, salsas, sopes with mushrooms as the 'meat', amerinth (the most
nutritious herb on the planet), fruits, juices, tortillas done in a million
ways, calabazitas with nopalitos and a dash of vinegar....

Wayne