Old 11-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Shelora

Default Help with Vegetarian Side?

Hello Douglas,
First the tortitas de papas. Here is a recipe that can easily be
adjusted depending on the starchiness of the potatoes and the
ingredients needed to hold it together.

Vegetable oil for frying
2 1/2 lbs, potatoes, peeled and quartered.
1/4 - 1/2 cup Maseca or flour or corn starch*
sea salt to taste
1 cup dry cheese (parmesean, romano, cotija or feta)

Peel and cook potatoes unti tender. Drain and when potatoes are cool
enough to handle, break up the spuds with a fork, making a rough
texture.Add salt, cheese and masa (or substitute), so the mixture
holds a firm shape when squeezed.
Heat oil and fry cakes until golden brown, turning gently to cook the
other side. Move to paper towels to drain any excess oil. Eat right
away or keep hot in a 300' oven. Or re-heat. Serve with your favourite
salsa.

* you can also add eggs to bind instead of a starch. Use your
judgement as to how many,perhaps add one at a time.
____________
The stuffed squash,
do you need help here? sounds like you are on the right track of
winging it.
Just let me know,
Shelora
By the way, the main source of heat is contained in the seeds and the
veins of the chile. Heat intensity can also change due to many
factors, crops from year to year, sun, etc.
When you make a chile relleno, it is usually customary to remove the
seed s and veins after roasting. However, it is not always a guarantee
that the chile will be mild.
my two cents.

"Douglas S. Ladden" wrote in message 27.77...
Dimitri on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

"Douglas S. Ladden" wrote in message
9.17...
Hello Folks!

I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having
great difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as
opposed to a salad. I would very much prefer to have a Mexican
vegetarian side dish, which is why I enlist your help. If you have
any suggestions or recipes, please let me know. Thanks!

--Douglas

Su

Go he http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/menu/frame.html

Click on vegetables.

That is where I started, Dimitri. I had even posted that site as
a great place for Mexican recipes. One of the things I forgot to
mention, and is somewhat important, is that I do not eat spicy food,
like chiles, and I would really like to be able to eat what I bring.
I'll blame that oversight on the fact that it was so late when I posted,
but sadly, I still have not slept, so this post may not be any more
effective.

All of the Mexican dishes with vegetables that I have found seem
to either have Chile and/or meat, or just be salads. I like the tortas
de papa I saw in another post, and may go with that, since the salsa can
be put on the side. Also the stuffed squash looked like a possibility.

--Douglas

Old 13-11-2003, 07:52 AM
JL?

"Douglas S. Ladden" schreef in bericht
7.77...
Shelora on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

Cool! I barely even eat vegetables. If I had to become
vegetarian, I would wither and die.

I used to say the same but after 5 years of beign vegetarian I can say: I'm
alive, happy and healthy!
you just have to have more imagination when you cook

jl;

Old 13-11-2003, 07:53 AM
JL?

bacon is not vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jl
"Becca" schreef in bericht
There are plenty of vegetables you could take. Zuchinni, corn, carrots,
spinach, pinto beans.

Stuffed Zucchini

6 medium zucchini squash, washed and trimmed
6 strips smoked bacon
2 tsp. butter
1 1/2 C. grated Chihuahua, Manchego or Gouda cheese
1 C. cream
1 tsp. oil
3 tsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional butter for greasing

Preparation:

Dice bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set

aside.

Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out middle, leaving

a shell. Place the
zucchini shells in a pan with water to cover and cook until just

tender but still firm.
(DO NOT overcook).

Melt the butter in a saucepan or deep skillet, chop the zucchini

pulp and add it to
the butter. Sauté this for a few minutes until tender, then add

the flour and stir well
to combine. Add the cream, 1 cup of the grated cheese, garlic

powder and salt and
pepper to taste.

Place the zucchini shells, open side up, in a greased baking

dish and fill with the
zucchini pulp mixture. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese

and the bacon and
bake in a 150°C oven 30 - 40 minutes or until the cheese melts

and begins to
brown. Serves 6

Old 13-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Douglas S. Ladden

JL? on 12 Nov 2003 suggested:

"Douglas S. Ladden" schreef in bericht
7.77...
Shelora on 10 Nov 2003 suggested:

Cool! I barely even eat vegetables. If I had to become
vegetarian, I would wither and die.

I used to say the same but after 5 years of beign vegetarian I can
say: I'm alive, happy and healthy!
you just have to have more imagination when you cook

That may be the problem! *laf* I don't cook. I just eat and
kibbitz. I haven't been impressed by any strictly vegetarian meal anyone
has ever served me. I keep trying though, by going to these vegetarian
dinners.

--Douglas
Old 15-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Wayne Lundberg

"Douglas S. Ladden" wrote in message
9.17...
Hello Folks!

I've been invited to a dinner, and I am supposed to bring a side
dish. However, they are vegetarian and I am not, so I am having great
difficulty in finding a Mexican vegetarian side dish, as opposed to .

---snip---

The overwhelming majority of Mexican fare is meatless. Meat is traditionally
consumed once or twice a month and this includes chicken, fish, beef, pork,
etc.

Think of spinach enchiladas, squash flower quesadillas, mole on rice with
corn tortillas, tostadas with avocado as the 'meat', rice, beans, refrieds
with totopos, salsas, sopes with mushrooms as the 'meat', amerinth (the most
nutritious herb on the planet), fruits, juices, tortillas done in a million
ways, calabazitas with nopalitos and a dash of vinegar....

Wayne