Rich McCormack

Default canning chicken broth

Canning Chicken Broth

2 - leftover chicken carcass
6 quarts - water
1 - medium onion, quartered
2 - bay leaves
1 teaspoon - coarse ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a suitable size pot and bring to a boil
over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
Remove chicken bones and discard. Strain broth through a fine sieve.
Allow to cool until fat solidifies. Skim off fat. Bring broth back
to a boil. Ladle hot broth into hot canning jars, leaving 1-inch
headspace. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to pints, 1/2 teaspoon to quarts
if desired. Wipe off jar rims to remove any broth. Adjust two-piece
caps. At elevations of less than 1000 feet, process pints for
20 minutes, quarts for 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in
a steam-pressure canner.
Kramer

I'd like to make this stuff as I do canning of fruits as a hobby. Can you
explain "leftover chicken carcass"? Does that mean that the chicken has been
previously cooked?

TIA.

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> Canning Chicken Broth
>
> 2 - leftover chicken carcass
> 6 quarts - water
> 1 - medium onion, quartered
> 2 - bay leaves
> 1 teaspoon - coarse ground black pepper

The Ranger

Rich McCormack > posted in message

> > Canning Chicken Broth
> > 2 - leftover chicken carcass

So Kramer > asked in message
> Can you explain "leftover chicken carcass"? Does that mean that the
> chicken has been previously cooked?

That's how I took it. "Leftover chicken carcass" would be the remnants from
a whole, roasted chicken; instead of chucking the bones and remaining
meat/fat, you boil it up using all the left over meat/fat still clutching
the bones of the chicken body. That's one excellent method for those frugal
people that use everything and waste nothing.

The Ranger

Frogleg

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 13:40:10 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>Canning Chicken Broth
>
>2 - leftover chicken carcass
>6 quarts - water
>1 - medium onion, quartered
>2 - bay leaves
>1 teaspoon - coarse ground black pepper
>
>Combine all ingredients in a suitable size pot and bring to a boil
>over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
>Remove chicken bones and discard. Strain broth through a fine sieve.
>Allow to cool until fat solidifies. Skim off fat. Bring broth back
>to a boil. Ladle hot broth into hot canning jars, leaving 1-inch
>headspace. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to pints, 1/2 teaspoon to quarts
>if desired. Wipe off jar rims to remove any broth. Adjust two-piece
>caps. At elevations of less than 1000 feet, process pints for
>20 minutes, quarts for 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in
>a steam-pressure canner.

I make it in a similar manner (adding carrots, celery & garlic) and
using bones and scraps from (uncooked) chicken breasts. I just pour
into freezer bags instead of canning. It's like a secret hoard of gold
to have your own broth available.
Kramer

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> That's how I took it. "Leftover chicken carcass" would be the remnants

from
> a whole, roasted chicken; instead of chucking the bones and remaining
> meat/fat, you boil it up using all the left over meat/fat still clutching
> the bones of the chicken body. That's one excellent method for those

frugal
> people that use everything and waste nothing.
>
> The Ranger

Excellent ! I'll have to try that.

Rich McCormack

Kramer wrote:

> I'd like to make this stuff as I do canning of fruits as a hobby. Can you
> explain "leftover chicken carcass"? Does that mean that the chicken has been
> previously cooked?

Most chicken broth (usually called stock) canning recipes call for
uncooked chicken parts...and, in the case of the Ball Blue Book,
a whole, uncooked chicken that is removed from the broth and saved
for other uses. I like roast chicken much better than boiled, so
I roast the chickens, eat 'em and use the leftover carcass and bones
for making broth.

Keep in mind that fruit can generally be canned in a boiling-water
canner. Meat and meat broth must be canned using a pressure canner
with reliable pressure gauge and/or weighted "jiggler".

Rich
Frogleg

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:30:58 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>Kramer wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to make this stuff as I do canning of fruits as a hobby. Can you
>> explain "leftover chicken carcass"? Does that mean that the chicken has been
>> previously cooked?

>Most chicken broth (usually called stock) canning recipes call for
>uncooked chicken parts...and, in the case of the Ball Blue Book,
>a whole, uncooked chicken that is removed from the broth and saved
>for other uses. I like roast chicken much better than boiled, so
>I roast the chickens, eat 'em and use the leftover carcass and bones
>for making broth.

I thought it was Martha Stewart's recipe that called for discarding
the meat of the whole chicken used to make stock, but I was wrong.
However, her recipe *does* include a 4-lb chicken, cut up, 1-1/2lb of
wings and 1-1/2 lb of backs (who sells chicken backs?) AND...12 cups
of canned chicken broth to make 5 qts of stock.

For Kramer, remember that the last gasp of Thanksgiving leftovers is
turkey soup, made from the well-used carcass of the bird. And also
that if you're not ready to make stock after the fowl has ceased to
have any appeal, you can bag and freeze the bones & bits for a later
project.

>Keep in mind that fruit can generally be canned in a boiling-water
>canner. Meat and meat broth must be canned using a pressure canner
>with reliable pressure gauge and/or weighted "jiggler".

Good advice.

How to make chicken fat into chicken broth for soup? Seekingsuggestions. Gold Finch General Cooking 21 27-04-2010 07:04 AM
Chicken And Broth T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2005 10:19 PM
Chicken broth biig General Cooking 35 23-10-2005 03:01 PM
More About Chicken Broth Mary General Cooking 3 19-07-2005 08:24 PM
chicken broth Mary Jo Oliver General Cooking 17 22-09-2004 02:07 PM