FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Mexican mustard? (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14170-mexican-mustard.html)

Kalle Helenius 06-11-2003 03:55 PM

Mexican mustard?

Does anyone have a workable Mexican mustard recipe? By workable
i mean with ingredients you can get from this side of the
globe...

TIA.

--
Kalle

Jack Schidt® 06-11-2003 04:45 PM

Mexican mustard?

"Kalle Helenius" > wrote in message
.. .
> Does anyone have a workable Mexican mustard recipe? By workable
> i mean with ingredients you can get from this side of the
> globe...
>
> TIA.

How is Mexican mustard different from others? I presume you mean 'prepared
mustard' that comes in a jar.

Jack

William Jennings 06-11-2003 05:44 PM

Mexican mustard?

"Kalle Helenius" > wrote in message
.. .
> Does anyone have a workable Mexican mustard recipe? By workable
> i mean with ingredients you can get from this side of the
> globe...
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> Kalle

In Mexico mustard is mostaza. They have Kraft, McCormick and what we
call Coleman's English Mustard is called
Abastos Puerto Morelos.

doc

ROBERT MACIAS 06-11-2003 07:54 PM

Mexican mustard?

1-800-966-5199 for WALKER FOODS IN LA CALIFORNIA THEY WOUD HAVE THE INFO
PANOLA PEPPER CO. HAS A HABANERO & a JALAPENO MUSTARD HEIR NUMBER IS
1-800-256-3013

David Wright 06-11-2003 08:14 PM

Mexican mustard?

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:54:46 GMT, "ROBERT MACIAS"
> SHOUTED:

>1-800-966-5199 for WALKER FOODS IN LA CALIFORNIA THEY WOUD HAVE THE INFO
>PANOLA PEPPER CO. HAS A HABANERO & a JALAPENO MUSTARD HEIR NUMBER IS
> 1-800-256-3013

Have a look at the poster's address, Robert. Kalle is in Finland.

I'm pretty sure a 1-800 number for a California company wouldn't work
from there. ;-)

David

. ..

David Wright 06-11-2003 08:20 PM

Mexican mustard?

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:14:50 GMT, David Wright
> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:54:46 GMT, "ROBERT MACIAS"
> SHOUTED:
>
>>1-800-966-5199 for WALKER FOODS IN LA CALIFORNIA THEY WOUD HAVE THE INFO
>>PANOLA PEPPER CO. HAS A HABANERO & a JALAPENO MUSTARD HEIR NUMBER IS
>> 1-800-256-3013

>Have a look at the poster's address, Robert. Kalle is in Finland.
>
>I'm pretty sure a 1-800 number for a California company wouldn't work
>from there. ;-)
>
>David

P.S. I just looked up Walker Foods website, and I see they make one of
my two favorite canned salsas: El Pato!
(The other is Herdez.)

David

The Tex Mex 06-11-2003 09:20 PM

Mexican mustard?

"Kalle Helenius" > wrote in message =
.. .
Does anyone have a workable Mexican mustard recipe? By workable
i mean with ingredients you can get from this side of the
globe...

TIA.

--=20
Kalle

Here is a hot mustard.

Habanero Mustard=20

Yield: 1 pint=20

2 tsp Whole coriander seeds
1/4 cup Whole yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup Whole black mustard seeds
1/4 cup Coleman's Dry Mustard
3/4 cup Cold water
3 Garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
1 sm Onion (peeled and chopped)
1 Habanero pepper or more for more heat, seeded
1/4 cup Cider vinegar
1/4 cup Dry white wine=20

Toast coriander seeds in a dry skillet or place them in a flat dish and =
microwave on High for 4 to 5 minutes.=20
Crush the mustard and coriander seeds slightly in a mortar or blender, =
then mix them and the powdered mustard into the water and let stand for =
at least three hours.=20

Mix the remaining ingredients and pulverize in a blender until smooth.=20
Stir the puree into the mustard.=20
Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 5 minutes or =
until as thick as you like, stirring occasionally.=20
The mustard will thicken slightly on cooling.=20
Refrigerate, covered.=20

--=20
Tex-Mex

Steve Wertz 07-11-2003 04:10 AM

Mexican mustard?

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:20:14 GMT, David Wright
> wrote:

>P.S. I just looked up Walker Foods website, and I see they make one of
>my two favorite canned salsas: El Pato!
>(The other is Herdez.)

Herdez is excellent salsa. Tastes better than most fresh or bottled
salsas.

-sw

Kalle Helenius 12-11-2003 12:35 PM

Mexican mustard?

"The Tex Mex" > wrote in message

"Kalle Helenius" > wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone have a workable Mexican mustard recipe? By workable
i mean with ingredients you can get from this side of the
globe...

TIA.

--
Kalle

Here is a hot mustard.

<snipp>

Thanks for answering. I guess i worded my request badly. I meant
by it that most countries have different twists to their
mustard, they use spices etc to create a distinct flavor, and i
was wondering whether or not Mexico has something like that. I
have a fairly good recipe base of different mustards, but i
never came across anything that was claimed to be Mexican.

Oh well, i guess the old trial-and-error way for me. Starting
with chipotle mustard tonight. I'll give the habanero one a go
as well, might just be a bit too hot.

--
Kalle

Kalle Helenius 12-11-2003 12:44 PM

Mexican mustard?

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Kalle Helenius" > wrote in

message
> .. .
> > Does anyone have a workable Mexican mustard recipe? By

workable
> > i mean with ingredients you can get from this side of the
> > globe...
> >
> > TIA.
> >

> How is Mexican mustard different from others?

That's the 10 grand question. Most countries do have differences
in their preferred mustards, and as Mexicans seem to do most
things themselves, i figured they might have one. For example,
the French have their Dijon, and most of their mustards are
based on that base, while the English have a more vinegary
mustard, similar to the US style, but hotter, with more mustard
seeds/powder, while Italian mustard is sweeter and more oily,
and Scandinavian mustard is the brown type (dunno how to
quantify that).

I presume you mean 'prepared
> mustard' that comes in a jar.

Nope, i mean the kind you make yourself. Which is much better
tasting (usually) with about a ton less preservatives and salt.

--
Kalle

Mark Preston 12-11-2003 10:43 PM

Mexican mustard?

The prepared mustards, sold by the food giants of the Americas,
(McCormick, inter alia), make mustards I believe to be similar in
taste to mustards sold north of the border.

I have never seen a Mexican "Country Style" mustard. Or any variation
that would suggest Mexican-ness in a mustard. Sorry.

Yet:

The following website:

http://www.mustardmuseum.com/

would be another place to ask.