Linda

Default Pan de Muertos

PAN DE MUERTOS
DAY OF THE DEAD BREAD
ALL SOULS BREAD

This is a version of the bread that is made for the
November 2 celebration known as the Día de los Muertos
(Day of the Dead) in Mexico. You can also mold the
bread into different shapes like angels and animals.

Ingredientes - Ingredients:

Una taza y media de harina - 1 1/2 cups of flour
Media taza da azúcar - 1/2 cup of sugar
Una cucharadita de sal - 1 teaspoon of salt
Una cucharada de semillas de anís - 1 tablespoon of
anise seed
Dos paquetitos de levadura - 2 packets of dry yeast
Media taza de leche - 1/2 cup of milk
Media taza de agua - 1/2 cup of water
Media taza de mantequilla - 1/2 cup of butter
Cuatro huevos - 4 eggs
Entre tres y cuatro y media tazas de harina - from 3 -
4 1/2 cups of flour
Preparation:

Mix all dry ingredients together except the 3 - 4 1/2
cups of flour.

In a small pan, heat the milk, the water, and the
butter. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture.

Beat well.

Mix in the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Beat well.

Put in the rest of the flour, little by little.

Knead the mixture on a floured board for 9 - 10
minutes.

Put the dough in a greased bowl and allow it to rise
until it has doubled in size (about an hour and a half
at sea level).

Punch the dough down and reshape it with some "bone"
shapes on top to decorate it.

Let it rise another hour.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 40
minutes.

After baking, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar
and colored sugar.

Preparación:

Mezcle todos los ingredientes secos menos las 3 - 4
1/2 tazas de harina.

En una olla caliente la leche, el agua y la
mantequilla. Añada la mezcla líquida a la mezcla de
ingredientes secos.

Bátalo bien.

Agregue los huevos y una taza y media de harina.
Bátalo bien.

Agregue el resto de la harina poco a poco.

Sobre una tabla enharinada, amase por unos 9 - 10
minutos la mezcla.

Ponga la masa en un recipiente engrasado, y deje que
levante hasta que haya doblado su tamaño
(aproximadamente hora y media al nivel del mar).

Para que la masa se encoja, déle puñetazos y fórmela
de nuevo con unos "huesos" de masa encima para
decorarla.

Deje que levante una hora más.

Hornee a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) por unos 40
minutos.

Después de hornearlo, espolvoréele azúcar glas y
azúcar coloreado.

recipe from:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip...demuertos.html

fishman99

how about the recipe in english! we are in america you know.

Linda wrote:
> PAN DE MUERTOS
> DAY OF THE DEAD BREAD
> ALL SOULS BREAD
>
> This is a version of the bread that is made for the
> November 2 celebration known as the Día de los Muertos
> (Day of the Dead) in Mexico. You can also mold the
> bread into different shapes like angels and animals.
>
> Ingredientes - Ingredients:
>
> Una taza y media de harina - 1 1/2 cups of flour
> Media taza da azúcar - 1/2 cup of sugar
> Una cucharadita de sal - 1 teaspoon of salt
> Una cucharada de semillas de anís - 1 tablespoon of
> anise seed
> Dos paquetitos de levadura - 2 packets of dry yeast
> Media taza de leche - 1/2 cup of milk
> Media taza de agua - 1/2 cup of water
> Media taza de mantequilla - 1/2 cup of butter
> Cuatro huevos - 4 eggs
> Entre tres y cuatro y media tazas de harina - from 3 -
> 4 1/2 cups of flour
> Preparation:
>
> Mix all dry ingredients together except the 3 - 4 1/2
> cups of flour.
>
> In a small pan, heat the milk, the water, and the
> butter. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture.
>
> Beat well.
>
> Mix in the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Beat well.
>
> Put in the rest of the flour, little by little.
>
> Knead the mixture on a floured board for 9 - 10
> minutes.
>
> Put the dough in a greased bowl and allow it to rise
> until it has doubled in size (about an hour and a half
> at sea level).
>
> Punch the dough down and reshape it with some "bone"
> shapes on top to decorate it.
>
> Let it rise another hour.
>
> Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 40
> minutes.
>
> After baking, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar
> and colored sugar.
>

> Preparación:
>
> Mezcle todos los ingredientes secos menos las 3 - 4
> 1/2 tazas de harina.
>
> En una olla caliente la leche, el agua y la
> mantequilla. Añada la mezcla líquida a la mezcla de
> ingredientes secos.
>
> Bátalo bien.
>
> Agregue los huevos y una taza y media de harina.
> Bátalo bien.
>
> Agregue el resto de la harina poco a poco.
>
> Sobre una tabla enharinada, amase por unos 9 - 10
> minutos la mezcla.
>
> Ponga la masa en un recipiente engrasado, y deje que
> levante hasta que haya doblado su tamaño
> (aproximadamente hora y media al nivel del mar).
>
> Para que la masa se encoja, déle puñetazos y fórmela
> de nuevo con unos "huesos" de masa encima para
> decorarla.
>
> Deje que levante una hora más.
>
> Hornee a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) por unos 40
> minutos.
>
> Después de hornearlo, espolvoréele azúcar glas y
> azúcar coloreado.
>
> recipe from:
> http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip...demuertos.html

fishman99

im sorry, didn't read the whole recipe, my apologies.

Linda wrote:
> PAN DE MUERTOS
> DAY OF THE DEAD BREAD
> ALL SOULS BREAD
>
> This is a version of the bread that is made for the
> November 2 celebration known as the Día de los Muertos
> (Day of the Dead) in Mexico. You can also mold the
> bread into different shapes like angels and animals.
>
> Ingredientes - Ingredients:
>
> Una taza y media de harina - 1 1/2 cups of flour
> Media taza da azúcar - 1/2 cup of sugar
> Una cucharadita de sal - 1 teaspoon of salt
> Una cucharada de semillas de anís - 1 tablespoon of
> anise seed
> Dos paquetitos de levadura - 2 packets of dry yeast
> Media taza de leche - 1/2 cup of milk
> Media taza de agua - 1/2 cup of water
> Media taza de mantequilla - 1/2 cup of butter
> Cuatro huevos - 4 eggs
> Entre tres y cuatro y media tazas de harina - from 3 -
> 4 1/2 cups of flour
> Preparation:
>
> Mix all dry ingredients together except the 3 - 4 1/2
> cups of flour.
>
> In a small pan, heat the milk, the water, and the
> butter. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture.
>
> Beat well.
>
> Mix in the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Beat well.
>
> Put in the rest of the flour, little by little.
>
> Knead the mixture on a floured board for 9 - 10
> minutes.
>
> Put the dough in a greased bowl and allow it to rise
> until it has doubled in size (about an hour and a half
> at sea level).
>
> Punch the dough down and reshape it with some "bone"
> shapes on top to decorate it.
>
> Let it rise another hour.
>
> Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 40
> minutes.
>
> After baking, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar
> and colored sugar.
>

> Preparación:
>
> Mezcle todos los ingredientes secos menos las 3 - 4
> 1/2 tazas de harina.
>
> En una olla caliente la leche, el agua y la
> mantequilla. Añada la mezcla líquida a la mezcla de
> ingredientes secos.
>
> Bátalo bien.
>
> Agregue los huevos y una taza y media de harina.
> Bátalo bien.
>
> Agregue el resto de la harina poco a poco.
>
> Sobre una tabla enharinada, amase por unos 9 - 10
> minutos la mezcla.
>
> Ponga la masa en un recipiente engrasado, y deje que
> levante hasta que haya doblado su tamaño
> (aproximadamente hora y media al nivel del mar).
>
> Para que la masa se encoja, déle puñetazos y fórmela
> de nuevo con unos "huesos" de masa encima para
> decorarla.
>
> Deje que levante una hora más.
>
> Hornee a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) por unos 40
> minutos.
>
> Después de hornearlo, espolvoréele azúcar glas y
> azúcar coloreado.
>
> recipe from:
> http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip...demuertos.html

Jack B

In article >, fishman99
> wrote:

> how about the recipe in english! we are in america you know.
>
> Linda wrote:
> > PAN DE MUERTOS
> > DAY OF THE DEAD BREAD
> > ALL SOULS BREAD

1) Mexico is part of America. (Do you remember learning about North
America [which has several countries and more than one language],
Central America [which has several countries and more than one
language], South America [which has several countries and more than one
language]?)

2) Many of us are not in America.

Your lame follow-up posting does not excuse your ignorance of usenet
and of geography.

Hopefully it's ignorance, not arrogance.

--
Jack
Douglas S. Ladden

fishman99 on 02 Nov 2003 suggested:

> how about the recipe in english! we are in america you know.

What a rude, ignorant, arrogant, and ethnocentric comment. First,
English is the MINORITY language in america, which extends from northern
Canada to Tierra del Fuego. Second, there are many readers of this group
that are not in america. Third, and finally, the English translations
WERE included, but what kind of observation skills can you expect from
someone who would make the above comment?

--Douglas

Linda

It is in both english and spanish.

"fishman99" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > 1/2 tazas de harina.
> >
> > En una olla caliente la leche, el agua y la
> > mantequilla. Añada la mezcla líquida a la mezcla de
> > ingredientes secos.
> >
> > Bátalo bien.
> >
> > Agregue los huevos y una taza y media de harina.
> > Bátalo bien.
> >
> > Agregue el resto de la harina poco a poco.
> >
> > Sobre una tabla enharinada, amase por unos 9 - 10
> > minutos la mezcla.
> >
> > Ponga la masa en un recipiente engrasado, y deje que
> > levante hasta que haya doblado su tamaño
> > (aproximadamente hora y media al nivel del mar).
> >
> > Para que la masa se encoja, déle puñetazos y fórmela
> > de nuevo con unos "huesos" de masa encima para
> > decorarla.
> >
> > Deje que levante una hora más.
> >
> > Hornee a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) por unos 40
> > minutos.
> >
> > Después de hornearlo, espolvoréele azúcar glas y

Linda

Apologies accepted...