Mark Preston

Default Carnes en su Jugo

With winter fast approaching, I started looking around a.f.m-c for my
favorite Mex wintertime recipe.

Alas! NADA!

Carnes en su Jugo, a specialty of Jalisco is not a well known (or
documented) recipe. I think I will not be contradicted when I say that
the dish is not very well known outside of Jalisco. That's what my
friend Leo tells me, anyway. He and his wife Marta, made this dish,
for their restaurant: El Norteño in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

So as a public service to all:

Carnes en su Jugo

INGREDIENTES:

2 1/2 Tazas de agua. (2 1/2 cups of water)
2 cucharadas de consomé de pollo. (2 T. of chicken flavored powder)
25 grs. de tocino cortado en cuadritos. (1 oz. of bacon, cubed)
20 cebollitas cambray. (20 Mexican grilling onions or Green Onions)
1/2 kgr. de carne de res (pulpa bola o aguayon en bisteces chicos)
(16 ozs. stewing beef)
12 tomatillos verdes.
Un macito pequeño de cilantro verde. (cilantro as garnish/decoration)
Sal al gusto.
Chiles jalapeños en vinagre al gusto.

PROCEDIMIENTO:

Ponga a hervir el agua en una cacerolita junto con el consomé de
pollo.

Aparte en una sartén ponga a dorar el tocino y las cebollitas, cuando
esten acitronadas se escurren.

Ahí mismo se agregan los bisteces a que cuezan un poco y una vez que
han soltado su jugo, se pasan a la cacerola donde esta el consomé, se
dejan hasta que se terminen de cocer (a fuego lento).

Licué el tomate y cilantro verde y agréguelos al gusto de la carne,
sazone al gusto y deje que los bisteces se suavicen, en este momento
añada los chiles jalapeños molidos también con un poco de vinagre,
deje un momento y apague el fuego. Se sirve en platos hondos
acompañando con las cebollitas cambray que reservo y frijoles de la
olla.

The above recipe from Laura Rosa at Canal 3

I find no other recipe for it. Before I conclude this post, her use of
chicken stock powder is odd to me. I know they have beef stock (Knorr)
in Old Mexico, so why this broad is messing around adding chicken
flavor to beef and bacon I'll never know.

I'm going to do a Google translation of this recipe, but any help from
the fluent greatly appreciated.

The recipe list is above with as much translation as needed. If you
have questions, unless they are very good ones, I'm unlikely to
respond. Because, the name of this group is: MEXICAN-cooking.

Put the water in a small-ish casserole (2 qt. pot, OK) Add the chicken
powder to the water and bring it to a boil.

Meanwhile, cube meat into 3/4" pieces. Cube the bacon in 1/2" pieces.
Slice the onions into bite sizes. White and some green Save the longer
green for another soup stock.

Pull some cilantro leaves off their stems.

Preheat a sauté pan, add the bacon and allow a little fat to rend. Add
the onions and sauté until golden. Reserve.

Sorry, folks, I've been called away. I'll finish this another time at
this same post/thread.
A1 WBarfieldsr

How did you determine that it wasn't a MEXICAN style of cooking??
This is not a NG for cooking performed in MEXICO.
--
William Barfieldsr
"Mark Preston" > wrote in message
m...
> [...]
> flavor to beef and bacon I'll never know.
>
> I'm going to do a Google translation of this recipe, but any help from
> the fluent greatly appreciated.
>
> The recipe list is above with as much translation as needed. If you
> have questions, unless they are very good ones, I'm unlikely to
> respond. Because, the name of this group is: MEXICAN-cooking.
>
> Put the water in a small-ish casserole (2 qt. pot, OK) Add the chicken
> powder to the water and bring it to a boil.
>
> Meanwhile, cube meat into 3/4" pieces. Cube the bacon in 1/2" pieces.
> Slice the onions into bite sizes. White and some green Save the longer
> green for another soup stock.
>
> Pull some cilantro leaves off their stems.
>
> Preheat a sauté pan, add the bacon and allow a little fat to rend. Add
> the onions and sauté until golden. Reserve.
>
> Sorry, folks, I've been called away. I'll finish this another time at

Mark Preston

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message >. ..
> How did you determine that it wasn't a MEXICAN style of cooking??
> This is not a NG for cooking performed in MEXICO.

<snip>

Dear Sir:

As you snipped nada, I am at a complete loss as to your reference to
both my determination that [I suppose you mean] 'carnes en su jugos'
not being Mexican, as well as the assertion that no posts are allowed
cooking in Mexico.

1. Are you the Moderator of this group?

2. I am unaware as to whether the recipe is or is not a "MEXICAN style
of cooking". It is cooked in Mexico. This I know from experience in
Guadalajara, Jalisco. To me it is Mexican not Mexican style. I'm not
being pedantic. I suggest a significant difference.

3. Do you mean that any cooking within the territorial limits of the
Republic of Mexico are forbidden to be discussed at this ng?

4. I am quite perplexed by your specificity or lack thereof.
Douglas S. Ladden

Mark Preston on 01 Nov 2003 suggested:

> With winter fast approaching, I started looking around a.f.m-c for my
> favorite Mex wintertime recipe.
>
> Alas! NADA!
>
> Carnes en su Jugo, a specialty of Jalisco is not a well known (or
> documented) recipe. I think I will not be contradicted when I say that
> the dish is not very well known outside of Jalisco.

I'm not sure how true this is. I personally know I've heard of
"Carnes en su jugo" in Mexico City, Cuernavaca, and the State of Mexico,
though I don't think I've never actually tried it. From reading the
ingredients, it does sound yummy, albeit without the chile.

I am finding references to it, and restaurants that make it, in
Mazatlan, Tijuana, and Aguascalientes, among other places. I was also
able to find a few recipes, which I'll cite below. I think the first
one is probably the closest to authentic. I hope you enjoy them.

http://www.mexico.com/comidamexicana...od=una&id=1947

http://www.gratisweb.com/agarces/recetas1.html#27

http://espasoft.kaos.es/cocina/02512.htm

http://canal-12.com/teledicion/cocina/carneensujugo.htm

http://vancouver.citytv.com/whats_on...?RecipeID=1191

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-bi...pe/recipe.cgi?
action=view_recipe&id=5168&recipe=Jose's%20Carne%2 0en%20su%20Jugo%20for%
20a%20Big%20Crowd&category=Soups%20and%20Stews

--Douglas
Jim Lane

Mark Preston wrote:
> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message >. ..
>
>>How did you determine that it wasn't a MEXICAN style of cooking??
>>This is not a NG for cooking performed in MEXICO.

> <snip>
>
> Dear Sir:
>
> As you snipped nada, I am at a complete loss as to your reference to
> both my determination that [I suppose you mean] 'carnes en su jugos'
> not being Mexican, as well as the assertion that no posts are allowed
> cooking in Mexico.
>
> 1. Are you the Moderator of this group?
>
> 2. I am unaware as to whether the recipe is or is not a "MEXICAN style
> of cooking". It is cooked in Mexico. This I know from experience in
> Guadalajara, Jalisco. To me it is Mexican not Mexican style. I'm not
> being pedantic. I suggest a significant difference.
>
> 3. Do you mean that any cooking within the territorial limits of the
> Republic of Mexico are forbidden to be discussed at this ng?
>
> 4. I am quite perplexed by your specificity or lack thereof.

A-1 is an unmitigated asshole who assumes he is god and can tell
everyone else what is and is not.

Just pity the fool.

jim

Mark Preston

I too (using Google) searched for the recipe.

I saw several cites (sites) in Tijuana. These must be transplanted
jalicanseños. Or maybe they married into the recipe.

I swear! (figuratively) it's a regional specialty of Jalisco. That's
what makes it special about Mexican food for me.

Thanks for your hard work.

¡Buen Provecho!
Linda

I appreciate your snip..as I've already had this guy killfiled.

Apparently he designated himself as the group "no it all"
but most of his posts consists of the bizarre and beyond belief.

Linda
(Back from R&R)
"Mark Preston" > wrote in message
om...
> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message

>. ..
> > How did you determine that it wasn't a MEXICAN style of cooking??
> > This is not a NG for cooking performed in MEXICO.

> <snip>
>
> Dear Sir:
>
> As you snipped nada, I am at a complete loss as to your reference to
> both my determination that [I suppose you mean] 'carnes en su jugos'
> not being Mexican, as well as the assertion that no posts are allowed
> cooking in Mexico.
>
> 1. Are you the Moderator of this group?
>
> 2. I am unaware as to whether the recipe is or is not a "MEXICAN style
> of cooking". It is cooked in Mexico. This I know from experience in
> Guadalajara, Jalisco. To me it is Mexican not Mexican style. I'm not
> being pedantic. I suggest a significant difference.
>
> 3. Do you mean that any cooking within the territorial limits of the
> Republic of Mexico are forbidden to be discussed at this ng?
>
> 4. I am quite perplexed by your specificity or lack thereof.

Linda

...OR...use your killfile feature

Linda
(Back from R&R)

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> Mark Preston wrote:
> > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message

>. ..
> >
> >>How did you determine that it wasn't a MEXICAN style of cooking??
> >>This is not a NG for cooking performed in MEXICO.

> > <snip>
> >
> > Dear Sir:
> >
> > As you snipped nada, I am at a complete loss as to your reference to
> > both my determination that [I suppose you mean] 'carnes en su jugos'
> > not being Mexican, as well as the assertion that no posts are allowed
> > cooking in Mexico.
> >
> > 1. Are you the Moderator of this group?
> >
> > 2. I am unaware as to whether the recipe is or is not a "MEXICAN style
> > of cooking". It is cooked in Mexico. This I know from experience in
> > Guadalajara, Jalisco. To me it is Mexican not Mexican style. I'm not
> > being pedantic. I suggest a significant difference.
> >
> > 3. Do you mean that any cooking within the territorial limits of the
> > Republic of Mexico are forbidden to be discussed at this ng?
> >
> > 4. I am quite perplexed by your specificity or lack thereof.

> A-1 is an unmitigated asshole who assumes he is god and can tell
> everyone else what is and is not.
>
> Just pity the fool.
>

> jim

A1 WBarfieldsr

I believe you have me mixed up with the person who said they were going to
translate the recipe only so far. Then advised that this was a MEXICAN food
group. I was the one supporting the fact that it could have been a Mexican
recipe and you didn't have to live in Mexico for it to be a Mexican dish.
If you are going to flame me do it for the right reason.

--
William Barfieldsr
"Linda" > wrote in message
> ..OR...use your killfile feature
>
> Linda
> (Back from R&R)
>
> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> > Mark Preston wrote:
> > > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message

> >. ..

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Dear Sir:
> > >
> > > As you snipped nada, I am at a complete loss as to your reference to
> > > both my determination that [I suppose you mean] 'carnes en su jugos'
> > > not being Mexican, as well as the assertion that no posts are allowed
> > > cooking in Mexico.
> > >
> > > 1. Are you the Moderator of this group?
> > >
> > > 2. I am unaware as to whether the recipe is or is not a "MEXICAN

style
> > > of cooking". It is cooked in Mexico. This I know from experience in
> > > Guadalajara, Jalisco. To me it is Mexican not Mexican style. I'm not
> > > being pedantic. I suggest a significant difference.
> > >
> > > 3. Do you mean that any cooking within the territorial limits of the
> > > Republic of Mexico are forbidden to be discussed at this ng?
> > >
> > > 4. I am quite perplexed by your specificity or lack thereof.

> > A-1 is an unmitigated asshole who assumes he is god and can tell
> > everyone else what is and is not.
> >
> > Just pity the fool.
> >

> > jim

David Wright

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:58:41 -0800, "Linda" >
wrote:

>I appreciate your snip..as I've already had this guy killfiled.
>
>Apparently he designated himself as the group "no it all"
>but most of his posts consists of the bizarre and beyond belief.
>
>Linda

I'd have killfiled him, too, but I have this
slow-down-to-gawk-at-an-accident attitude about wanting to see what he
comes up with next.

Also, I'm still waiting for a straightforward answer to the questions
I asked up in the "Shredded Pork" thread. I asked him four different
questions, and the only response I got was one "NO!!"

Sounds silly when you try to apply that answer to the questions:

>If you have such little respect for the people in this ng, why keep
>posting?

NO!!
>A1 wrote:
>> If I know where I got it I will be glad to post that as well.

[meaning the source of "his" recipes]

>That didn't last long, did it?

NO!!

>Was it that you weren't getting enough attention by being honest?

NO!!

>Why don't you just tell us whether your main (or only) purpose in
>posting here is to "stir them up"? Will you give us a straightforward
>answer to that?

NO!!

A1 is as petulant and pedantic as he is persistent. ;-)

Anyway, Linda, welcome back!

David

P.S. For those who don't know, Linda is the person who started this
ng. Obviously, there's no moderator.

Jim Lane

Linda wrote:

> ..OR...use your killfile feature
>
> Linda
> (Back from R&R)
>
> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message

snip

>>A-1 is an unmitigated asshole who assumes he is god and can tell
>>everyone else what is and is not.
>>
>>Just pity the fool.
>>

>>jim

Nah, I enjoy seeing the lowest common denominator in action and A-1
provides an ample dose of that.

Now he has sock puppets supporting him, perhaps he should not wear pants
while posting.

jim

The Ranger

Jim Lane > wrote in message
[snip]
> Now he has sock puppets supporting him,

[snip]

Two. Pretty soon every "long-time lurker" will be jumping out and supporting
his malaise.

The Ranger

Linda

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:58:41 -0800, "Linda" >
> wrote:
>
> >I appreciate your snip..as I've already had this guy killfiled.
> >
> >Apparently he designated himself as the group "no it all"
> >but most of his posts consists of the bizarre and beyond belief.
> >
> >Linda

> I'd have killfiled him, too, but I have this
> slow-down-to-gawk-at-an-accident attitude about wanting to see what he
> comes up with next.
>
> Also, I'm still waiting for a straightforward answer to the questions
> I asked up in the "Shredded Pork" thread. I asked him four different
> questions, and the only response I got was one "NO!!"
>
> Sounds silly when you try to apply that answer to the questions:
>
> >If you have such little respect for the people in this ng, why keep
> >posting?

> NO!!
> >A1 wrote:
> >> If I know where I got it I will be glad to post that as well.

> [meaning the source of "his" recipes]
>
> >That didn't last long, did it?

> NO!!
>
> >Was it that you weren't getting enough attention by being honest?

> NO!!
>
> >Why don't you just tell us whether your main (or only) purpose in
> >posting here is to "stir them up"? Will you give us a straightforward
> >answer to that?

> NO!!
>
> A1 is as petulant and pedantic as he is persistent. ;-)
>
> Anyway, Linda, welcome back!

Thanks...

> David
>
> P.S. For those who don't know, Linda is the person who started this
> ng. Obviously, there's no moderator.

That is the norm for most all alt. groups, i n fact I haven't yet come into
an alt. grooup that does have a moderator.
Unfortunately there is not much that can be done about folks like A1 as this
is an"alt" group, and the general
consensus of most alt. groups is that anything goes.

Linda

Mark Preston

Noodlin' around the 'Net, found:

http://www.acomer.com.mx/acomer/ver_receta.asp?ID=71

for those who appreciate all things Mexicano.
Mark Preston

I promise this is the last post, short of the complete translation.
Leo Nuñez, and I drove by it and, as he is a native of that fair city,
he swelled with pride as he pointed it out to me.

http://www.acomer.com.mx/acomer/karnegaribaldi.asp

Their email, should anybody be bold enough to ask for their recipe: