BCBPROJXX

Default A cheese named Lolita

Hello All,
We've been tracking down Mexican cheeses for an article and we found one up
at Casa Lucas market in SF, CA that we can't find any info on. The cheese
is called "Lolita". A web search netted me a variety of mostly "unsavory"
shall we say topics. Is anyone familiar with this product or if you can
recommend a reference that may have some information.

Unfortunately my Spanish is lacking so I was unable to get more info from
the market. The cheese is fairly dry, moderately salty and a "crumbling"
rather than "melting" cheese. It's not as dry as cotija and it's not the
more common queso fresco..

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Barbara--
GourmetSleuth.com http://www.gourmetsleuth.com

Douglas S. Ladden

BCBPROJXX on 30 Oct 2003 suggested:

> Hello All,
> We've been tracking down Mexican cheeses for an article and we found
> one up at Casa Lucas market in SF, CA that we can't find any info
> on. The cheese is called "Lolita". A web search netted me a variety
> of mostly "unsavory" shall we say topics. Is anyone familiar with
> this product or if you can recommend a reference that may have some
> information.
>
> Unfortunately my Spanish is lacking so I was unable to get more info
> from the market. The cheese is fairly dry, moderately salty and a
> "crumbling" rather than "melting" cheese. It's not as dry as cotija
> and it's not the more common queso fresco..
>
> If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Are you sure it was queso "lolita" and not queso "lupita"?? What
you describe sounds like what my grandmother used to buy as queso
"lupita". Of course her name was "lupita" so she might have just been
telling me a cute story, since I was a kid. I have never in my life heard
of queso "lolita". You might want to check this page, and see how it
compares: http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip.../kgqueso1.html

--Douglas
BCBPROJXX

Hello Douglas,
I'll check with our person that did the buying --it is always possible that
the name was incorrect. Thanks again for you input.

Barbara
--
4.17...