A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Arepas

Arepas

2 cups milk
4 Tbls. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for serving
1 1/2 cups white arepa flour (called masarepa or arepaharina),
available at good Hispanic markets
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbls. sugar
1 cup Queso Blanco, grated
Vegetable oil, for the griddle
1 1/4 cups Queso Chihuahua, finely grated, for serving

1. In a small saucepan bring 1 1/2 cups of the milk to a boil. Strain into
a bowl and add the 4 tablespoons of butter.
Let stand while preparing the next step.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the masarepa, salt, sugar, and Queso
Blanco.
Make a well in the center and pour in the hot milk.
Stir the masa and milk together until there are no lumps.
Knead the mixture, sprinkling in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, until you have
a smooth sticky dough.
This should take about 5 minutes.

3. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick sheet between two pieces of wax
paper.
With a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out 3-inch circles.
Re-roll the scraps and cut out more circles.
You should have eight.

4. Brush a griddle or a large cast-iron skillet lightly with oil and
preheat over medium-low heat.
Fry as many arepas as will fit, until they are soft within and golden and
slightly crusty on the outside, about 4 minutes per side.
Keep separating the arepas from the skillet with a metal spatula, or they
will stick.
Keep the finished arepas warm in a low oven.

5. To serve, spear a pat of butter with a fork and brush the arepas while
still hot.
Immediately sprinkle them with a generous coating of grated cheese and
serve.
Makes: 8

--
William Barfieldsr

Dimitri

Don't you just LOVE Google?
http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/corby/fiesta.htm

Dimitri

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
news
> Arepas
>
> 2 cups milk
> 4 Tbls. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for
serving
> 1 1/2 cups white arepa flour (called masarepa or arepaharina),
> available at good Hispanic markets
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 1/2 Tbls. sugar
> 1 cup Queso Blanco, grated
> Vegetable oil, for the griddle
> 1 1/4 cups Queso Chihuahua, finely grated, for serving
>
> 1. In a small saucepan bring 1 1/2 cups of the milk to a boil. Strain into
> a bowl and add the 4 tablespoons of butter.
> Let stand while preparing the next step.
>
> 2. In a large bowl, stir together the masarepa, salt, sugar, and Queso
> Blanco.
> Make a well in the center and pour in the hot milk.
> Stir the masa and milk together until there are no lumps.
> Knead the mixture, sprinkling in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, until you

have
> a smooth sticky dough.
> This should take about 5 minutes.
>
> 3. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick sheet between two pieces of wax
> paper.
> With a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out 3-inch circles.
> Re-roll the scraps and cut out more circles.
> You should have eight.
>
> 4. Brush a griddle or a large cast-iron skillet lightly with oil and
> preheat over medium-low heat.
> Fry as many arepas as will fit, until they are soft within and golden and
> slightly crusty on the outside, about 4 minutes per side.
> Keep separating the arepas from the skillet with a metal spatula, or they
> will stick.
> Keep the finished arepas warm in a low oven.
>
> 5. To serve, spear a pat of butter with a fork and brush the arepas while
> still hot.
> Immediately sprinkle them with a generous coating of grated cheese and
> serve.
> Makes: 8
>
> --
> William Barfieldsr

William Jennings

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...
> Don't you just LOVE Google?
> http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/corby/fiesta.htm

Arepas are not Mexican food in the first place but similar to gordita's.
Arepas are from Venezuela and filled with different stuffings like
gorditas. I noted this reciped was not a typical arepas or at least
what I learned to make. Most often arepas
are made just using the aprea mix, salt and water without all the cheese
and stuff in the batter.

I am more interested in recipes tried and proven in our own home
kitchens as opposed to something found on a web site.
Yes, I did visit the link.

These arepas and gorditas remind me of a street snack found in Paraguay
that I lived on for a while, easy to make and rather novel, but not even
close to Mexican food.

doc

Dimitri

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Don't you just LOVE Google?
> > http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/corby/fiesta.htm

> Arepas are not Mexican food in the first place but similar to gordita's.
> Arepas are from Venezuela and filled with different stuffings like
> gorditas. I noted this reciped was not a typical arepas or at least
> what I learned to make. Most often arepas
> are made just using the aprea mix, salt and water without all the cheese
> and stuff in the batter.
>
> I am more interested in recipes tried and proven in our own home
> kitchens as opposed to something found on a web site.
> Yes, I did visit the link.
>
> These arepas and gorditas remind me of a street snack found in Paraguay
> that I lived on for a while, easy to make and rather novel, but not even
> close to Mexican food.
>
> doc

These are stolen from a

Colombian arepa lady, who periodically appears like a heavenly apparition on
a not-too-savory street corner between 12 and 3 in the morning, hawking the
most lusciousarepas (white corn cakes) slathered with butter and white
cheese.

Dimitri