Meghan Noecker

Default pombasos? mexican sandwich bread?

When I was in Mexico a couple years ago, my friend served a sandwich
on a bread roll that I thought she called a pombaso. I would like to
get a recipe for it, but I Haven't been able to find anything like
that listed on the web.

Does anybody here know what it is?

Meghan

Douglas S. Ladden

Meghan Noecker on 30 Oct 2003 suggested:

> When I was in Mexico a couple years ago, my friend served a sandwich
> on a bread roll that I thought she called a pombaso.

It's actually called a "pambazo". Pambazo, From the pharase pan
bazo, which means literally, brown bread. Originally this term referred
to the crudest, most inferior bread. Now it is most often used in
connection with two different antojitos: one made with unleavened wheat
flour dough that is filled, rolled into an oblong shape and fried. The
other consists of a small torta made with a small version of either a
bolillo or telera

> I would like to get a recipe for it, but I Haven't been able to find
> anything like that listed on the web.
>
> Does anybody here know what it is?

Well, I'll provide you with an official recipe, and a quick and
dirty one that works almost as well.

First, the quick and dirty. Get a bolillo or telera, and fry it.
If you prefer, you can add your favorite chile/chile-tomato/mole puree
to the oil before frying. Once fried, cut the bolillo or telera open,
and stuff it with whatever ingredients you most enjoy, such as chorizo,
ham, avocado, cheese, tinga, or whatever. BTW, this is how most street
vendors in Mexico make them, these days. A variation is that some dip
the bread in the chile puree separately, and then fry it.

Now, the real recipe. Original is in Spanish, I will try to do
interlineal translation again.

Ingredientes:
Ingredients:

300 grs. de harina, más 3 cucharadas para amasar
300 grams (about 2/3 of a pound) of flour, plus 3 tablespoons for
kneading

2 cucharadas de manteca
2 Tablespoons of lard

2 huevos
2 eggs

1 cucharadita de sal
1 teasponn of salt

¼ taza de leche aproximadamente
1/4 cup of milk, more or less.

¼ litro de aceite
1/4 quart of oil

tabla de amasar, molde de tartaleta ovalado, cernidor o coladera.
kneading table, oval pie(tart?) mold, sieve.

Procedimiento:
Procedu

Se ciernen harina y sal, se hace una fuente y en el centro se ponen
huevos y manteca, se incorpora bien agregando leche hasta que quede una
pasta suave.
Sift flour with salt, make a pool in the center and add eggs and
lard, mix well, adding milk until the dough is smooth.

Se unta la pasta por fuera con un poco de aceite y se deja en un
recipiente tapado con un lienzo toda la noche.
Spread a little oil on the outside of the dough, and leave it in a
container covered with a cloth overnight.

Al día siguiente se extiende la masa de un poco más de ¼ cm. de grosor y
se corta con los moldes.
The next day spread the dough out until it is about 1/8 inch
thick, and cut with the molds.

En el centro se marca con una pequeña X artificial.
In the center you mark a small "X".

Se caliente el aceite y se fríen hasta que estén bien dorados por todos
lados.
Heat the oil, and fry until they are golden brown on all sides.

Se abren por la mitad y se rellenan por ejemplo de frijoles refritos,
ensalada de papas, chorizo frito, una raja de chipotle y lechuga, mole o
picadillo. Se tapan por encima se les espolvorea queso rallado.
Open in the middle, and fill with, for example, refried beans,
potato salad, fried chorizo, a chipotle and lettuce, mole or ground
beef. Cover them again, and top them with grated cheese.

NOTA: Se pueden hacer muy pequeños para bocadillos de fiesta.
NOTE: They can be made ver small for appetizers at parties.

Please enjoy either, and/or both!

--Douglas
Mark Preston

"Douglas S. Ladden" wrote <snip>

Great post.

I had my first PAMVAZO at Clarita's Tacos D.F., in East Los Angeles.

I came across it because another Mexican restaurant had been
recommended to me: "La Serenata de Garibaldi". I drove the miles to
the Serenade. There I had food that for Mexican cuisine, was just
so-so.

As I left that disappointing food experience and walked to my car, I
saw a sign on the sidewalk. It read:

Quezadillas de Flor de Calabaza
Pamvazos
Tinga Poblano

Next Friday, I returned to a dark, somewhat ambiguous place. I must
have been the first gringo customer. Fortunately, I speak enough
Spanish to order politely.

The food was great. I don't mean wonderful. I mean Great! The Chef,
Clarita Trujillo, has a masterful had at cooking. As I left
restaurant, I was excited. I had found my cache Mexican dive. A few
weeks later, I drove friends Ron & Pat to Clarita's. They loved the
food, too.

At that time (1995), I was a member of a culinary group. The president
of it, was also one of the food editors at the Los Angeles Times
newspaper. So, I thought to tell him about the place, as he writes
restaurant reviews for the Times.

Meanwhile, I was back at my favorite Mexican restaurant, having her
Pamvazo. It's a bolillo, rubbed lightly with oil, then dusted with
sabroso chile powder and lightly fried, stuffed with lettuce, mashed
potatoes and spicy chorizo and served hot. YUMMM! At that time,
Clarita, who had become a friend, because she found me slightly
amusing as a gringo afficionado of Mexican cooking; handed me a flyer
telling me she was moving the place from First St. to Fourth St. I
took the flyer home.

By that time, I had email and I gave my friend at the LA Times the new
address, praising Clarita's cooking to the heavens. A few weeks went
by. I went to the Clarita's now on Fourth St. But the address on the
flyer was wrong. Where 4039 was, no building at all. A freeway and
street intersection was where Clarita's should have been. I was first
non-plused, then dismayed, then lost. Had they gone out of business? I
raced to the nearest phone and called the number on the flyer. A voice
answered, speaking Spanish. I asked for the street number. The
response, 3049, not 4039. I cursed the printer who got the number
backwards.

Meanwhile, an email from the LA Times told me that my friend couldn't
find the place. I replied with the accident about the printer and
something about Spanish but the adjective after the noun.

Eventually, the Times gave the place a glowing review. A second
reviewer even named Clarita's as one of the top 50 restaurants for
1997.

Now, with a copy of both reviews framed and hanging from the walls,
every time I go there, Clarita gives me an abrasos fuerte. Her new
place on Fourth is clean, has good lighting at night and an outdoor
patio.
Mark Preston

<snip>

> Great story yourself, Mark, even if you won't share your chorizo
> recipe! ;-)

David,

It is axiomatic amongst the makers of certain food, e.g.: condiments
such as Durkee's Dressing, or your local BBQ sauce maker; those who
win Chile Con Carne competitions and such. And I believe that sausage
makers, who have spent time working up a great sausage flavor have
some duty to not reveal the recipes because this forces others to 1.
buy from them, exclusively, or 2. to try to make a better mousetrap. I
am of the 2. catagory.

Yet, in fairness to all, let me say this:

My chorizo uses beef and pork in equal parts. Beyond that, I can't
give out the spice and technique profiles, as that would violate the
un-written code of the sausagemaker. Which I have written above.

Again, thanks for that great Pambazo recipe.

P.S. I do love Spanish/Mexican orthography in that: you say pambaso
and I say pamvaso. And we are both correct.

Torta (Mexican Sandwich) luna the lurker Mexican Cooking 1 15-09-2006 03:15 AM
Mexican Spoon Bread Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2006 10:15 AM
Mexican Spoon Bread Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-09-2005 12:41 PM
Fat Free Mexican Corn Bread T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 23-04-2005 02:39 AM
Thin Crust sandwich bread without a pullman pan? rcrev Baking 6 16-02-2005 12:42 PM