The Wolf

Default Wasn't happy with Mexican rice recipe

OK, searched web for recipes on Mexican Rice and tried one.

They all specify on can of tomatoes but don't say if it's 15 or 28 oz can.

What is the consensus for proportion of one cup rice to tomatoes?

Also liquid anywhere from two cups to three and one half cup.

I tried two cups plus the liquid from a can of 15 oz tomatoes. Was a little
moister than I like, so should it be 2 cups including the liquid from the
tomatoes?

Jim Lane

The Wolf wrote:

> OK, searched web for recipes on Mexican Rice and tried one.
>
> They all specify on can of tomatoes but don't say if it's 15 or 28 oz can.
>
> What is the consensus for proportion of one cup rice to tomatoes?
>
> Also liquid anywhere from two cups to three and one half cup.
>
> I tried two cups plus the liquid from a can of 15 oz tomatoes. Was a little
> moister than I like, so should it be 2 cups including the liquid from the
> tomatoes?

Experiment. You're already on the path. BTW, I used fresh chopped
(sometimes roasted and skinned). Of course, you could go with sundried
and yuppify it.

jim

Douglas S. Ladden

The Wolf on 26 Oct 2003 suggested:

> OK, searched web for recipes on Mexican Rice and tried one.
>
> They all specify on can of tomatoes but don't say if it's 15 or 28 oz
> can.
>
> What is the consensus for proportion of one cup rice to tomatoes?
>
> Also liquid anywhere from two cups to three and one half cup.
>
> I tried two cups plus the liquid from a can of 15 oz tomatoes. Was a
> little moister than I like, so should it be 2 cups including the
> liquid from the tomatoes?

Here's recipe given to me by a friend in Cuernavaca. I hope you
can understand it, and it comes out yummy. I've taken the original
Spanish, and added the English translation under the original text. I
hope you enjoy.

--Douglas

Receta para hacer arroz!! (4 porciones)
Recipe to make rice!! (4 portions)

1/4 kg de arroz
1/2 lb of rice
2 jitomates
2 tomatoes
un trozo de cebolla
a piece of onion
Aceite
Oil

Se lava el arroz y se deja escurrir bien.
You wash the rice and let it drain well.

Se licuan los jitomate con un trozo de cebolla y se cuela.
You liquify the tomatoes with a piece of onion and then strain.

Se pone una cacerola con aceite, suficiente que cubra el arroz para que
se dora parejo el arroz y cuando ya tomo color beige sin se ponga café
se le pone el jitomate (licuado).
You place a pan with oil, enough to cover the rice so that it browns
evenly and when it just becomes beige without it becoming brown you add
the liquified tomato.

Y se le pone un cubito de pollo o knorr suiza (condimento) y se sasona
con sal tambien y se tapa a fuego lento.
Then you add a boullion cube and salt to taste, then cover on a low
flame.

Se recomienda no estar moviendo el arroz, sino se bate..se tapa a fuego
lento y si se requiere mas agua por si aun no se termina de cocer, se le
pone agua caliente.
It is recommended not to move the rice, just cover it on a low flame and
if it needs more water in case it hasn't finished cooking, you add hot
water.

En vez de agua tambien se le puede poner caldo de pollo y toma otro
saborcito sabroso!
Instead of water you can add chicken consome and it takes another
delicious flavor.
Rolly

The recipe given by Douglas S. Ladden is almost the same as the one
illustrated by Doña Martha in her photo essay on Mexican rice that can
be seen at http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

It works well. Enjoy!

Rolly
Frogleg

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:29:25 GMT, The Wolf >
wrote:

>OK, searched web for recipes on Mexican Rice and tried one.
>
>They all specify on can of tomatoes but don't say if it's 15 or 28 oz can.

Ain't that a pain? A lesson to the rest of us to specify measurements
other than "can" or "package." Used to be a "soup can" was a
'standard' Campbell's can (10.x oz), and a "can of soup" was the
condensed sort meant to be diluted with an equal amount of water (or
milk) for serving. Now we have big cans, little cans, "ready-to-serve"
cans, etc., etc. Not to mention manufacturers of everything from
cereal to Jell-O changing the size of a package or can.

>What is the consensus for proportion of one cup rice to tomatoes?
>Also liquid anywhere from two cups to three and one half cup.

Basic cooked rice uses a roughly 2:1 ratio of water to rice, depending
on method. Or as one cookbook has it, "1 cup rice equals 3 cups
r*i*c*e"

>I tried two cups plus the liquid from a can of 15 oz tomatoes. Was a little
>moister than I like, so should it be 2 cups including the liquid from the
>tomatoes?

I recently made a pilaf with 1 cup rice and a 14oz can of chicken
broth, and threw in another quarter cup of water to make up the
difference. However, the sauted veg (onion, pepper, celery) evidently
gave off a fair amount of moisture, and the dish was somewhat
overcooked by the time all the liquid was absorbed. Tomatoes have a
lot of water in them, in addition to the 'juice' in the can, As
you've found from experimentation, I'd *guess* a 15oz can of tomatoes
& liquid, plus maybe another half-cup of water. As Douglas's recipe
indicates, you can always *add* more water.

Frogleg

On 27 Oct 2003 03:10:01 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:

>The recipe given by Douglas S. Ladden is almost the same as the one
>illustrated by Doña Martha in her photo essay on Mexican rice that can
>be seen at
http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Kitchen

Neat site! I've bookmarked. Photo illustrations of cooking stages are
terrific. One note the current thread's query is that soaking the
rice will reduce the amount of liquid needed in the rest of the prep.

Regards to Doña Martha!
Becca

This is my favorite Spanish Rice recipe.

Becca

Spanish Rice

1 cup long grain white rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic
1 tomato cut in wedges
½ teaspoon whole cumin
¼ cup diced onion
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
2-1/4 cups chicken broth

Directions:

Heat oil in a 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add rice and stir
every 3-4 minutes until the rice turns a golden brown. Blend garlic
and tomato and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a food processor and blend
until the tomato is nearly liquefied (I use a Braun submersible
blender). Just chop the tomato and garlic if you do not want to use
the blender.

Grind cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle (or use ground cumin). Add
tomato and garlic, onion, black pepper, cumin, salt, tomato sauce and
remaining chicken broth to the rice. Bring to a boil on high, cover
and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat
and leave covered for another 5 minutes. Uncover rice and fluff with a
fork before serving.
doutcome

The recipe is the real Mexican rice just the
way I make it.On the tomatoes sauce add half
of the can.It's for the flavor and the color of the rice, otherwise the rice
would be yellow/ white. If you boil chicken use the broth to add in the
rice.
Also, if you like chicken and rice soup...
Just add bell peppers and onions and vegetables in the soup and pour on the
rice and enjoy.....salt/pepper

"Becca" > wrote in message
> This is my favorite Spanish Rice recipe.
>
> Becca
>
> Spanish Rice
>
> 1 cup long grain white rice
> 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 1 clove garlic
> 1 tomato cut in wedges
> ½ teaspoon whole cumin
> ¼ cup diced onion
> ½ teaspoon black pepper
> ½ teaspoon salt
> 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
> 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
>
> Directions:
>
> Heat oil in a 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add rice and stir
> every 3-4 minutes until the rice turns a golden brown. Blend garlic
> and tomato and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a food processor and blend
> until the tomato is nearly liquefied (I use a Braun submersible
> blender). Just chop the tomato and garlic if you do not want to use
> the blender.
>
> Grind cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle (or use ground cumin). Add
> tomato and garlic, onion, black pepper, cumin, salt, tomato sauce and
> remaining chicken broth to the rice. Bring to a boil on high, cover
> and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat
> and leave covered for another 5 minutes. Uncover rice and fluff with a
> fork before serving.

Spanish Rice vs. Mexican Rice Janet B General Cooking 13 14-02-2016 09:06 PM
Why Mexican food makes people happy: Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 7 24-02-2007 10:48 PM
Want a fabulous recipe for Mexican rice. Dee Randall General Cooking 21 11-05-2005 12:12 AM
Mexican Rice Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-03-2005 10:17 PM
Sue.s Mexican Rice Sue Mundy Recipes (moderated) 0 07-12-2004 03:11 PM