Anna

Default Mummy candy

I was just curious if anybody know why people eat mummy candy in Guanajuato, Mexico?
A1 WBarfieldsr

"Anna" > wrote in message
om...
> I was just curious if anybody know why people eat mummy candy in

Guanajuato, Mexico?

Probably, and this is a wild guess, they like it.

--
William Barfieldsr

Kingman Wylie

My guess would be.....maybe they can't get Daddy candy??

William Jennings

Default Mummy candy - Gummy candy

Same reason people here eat Gummy bears, snakes and bears.... They use _M_
and we use _G_ and they like it like that. :-)

doc

"Anna" > wrote in message
om...
> I was just curious if anybody know why people eat mummy candy in

Guanajuato, Mexico?

Wayne Lundberg

"Anna" > wrote in message
om...
> I was just curious if anybody know why people eat mummy candy in

Guanajuato, Mexico?

You have touched on a wonderful cultural point of interest. In the city of
Guanajuato, when somebody dies, they get buried in the local cemetery and
stay buried for as long as the family or relatives can pay for the yearly
dues. When the family does not pay for more than two years, the body is
exhumed and disposed of. If the body looks interesting, if the facial
expression, the pregnancy, the deformity, the uniform of a five star
general... whatever... these bodies have been mummified due to the dryness
of climate and water-sucking quality of minerals in the burial ground
itself. Then people pay good money to parade through the museum to see these
dead people. So a whole tourism trade has grown from this thing; among which
is many forms of sugar candy. So, yes, mummy candy is readily available. But
it's not made from the mummies! It's candy.

Wayne
www.rcsacilars.com for some real fun in the sun!

William Jennings

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Anna" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I was just curious if anybody know why people eat mummy candy in

> Guanajuato, Mexico?
>
> You have touched on a wonderful cultural point of interest. In the city of
> Guanajuato, when somebody dies, they get buried in the local cemetery and
> stay buried for as long as the family or relatives can pay for the yearly
> dues. When the family does not pay for more than two years, the body is
> exhumed and disposed of. If the body looks interesting, if the facial
> expression, the pregnancy, the deformity, the uniform of a five star
> general... whatever... these bodies have been mummified due to the dryness
> of climate and water-sucking quality of minerals in the burial ground
> itself. Then people pay good money to parade through the museum to see

these
> dead people. So a whole tourism trade has grown from this thing; among

which
> is many forms of sugar candy. So, yes, mummy candy is readily available.

But
> it's not made from the mummies! It's candy.
>
> Wayne
> www.rcsacilars.com for some real fun in the sun!

Wayne, that Guanajuato mummy candy question has been floating around the
internet for years. It always shows up around this time of year.....

doc

Douglas S. Ladden

William Jennings on 27 Oct 2003 suggested:

> Wayne, that Guanajuato mummy candy question has been floating around
> the internet for years. It always shows up around this time of
> year.....

Well of course it does, don't be ridiculous! After all we're just 5
days away from "Dia de los Muertos", day of the dead, when all kinds of
"creepy" candies are made in Mexico. It's just a shame I won't be there
to participate. Here's a nice little site describing the tradition:
http://www.yumfood.net/articles/diadelosmuertos.html, and here's a site
with lots of other links, if you really want to get into it:
http://members.tripod.com/~clinch1/index-28.html, and finally you might
want to check out: http://www.dayofthedead.com/

--Douglas
William Jennings

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
7.77...

> Well of course it does, don't be ridiculous! After all we're just 5
> days away from "Dia de los Muertos", day of the dead, when all kinds of
> "creepy" candies are made in Mexico. It's just a shame I won't be there
> to participate. Here's a nice little site describing the tradition:

Know all about Dia de los Muertos having lived in Catemaco some time. Just
thought you might be interested to know that question was rasied by an
eight-year-old some years back and is something of a joke now. Btw, I live
about a two hour drive from Mexico, a 45 minute flight to Monterrey. Largo
Catemaco is known for it's witches but I didn't see any. ;-)

doc