A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Making Butter

Making Butter

http://webexhibits.org/butter/index.html

Making butter is easy with a food processor, and it produces a light fresh
taste.

You will need:

1-2 cups heavy whipping cream, or double cream (1/3 liter)
(preferably without carrageenan or other stabilizers)

Fit food processor with plastic blade, whisk, or normal chopping blade.
Fill food processor about 1/4 - 1/2 full. Blend.
The cream will go through the following stages:
Sloshy, frothy, soft whipped cream, firm whipped cream, coarse whipped
cream.
Then, suddenly, the cream will seize, its smooth shape will collapse, and
the whirring will change to sloshing.
The butter is now fine grained bits of butter in buttermilk, and a few
seconds later, a glob of yellowish butter will separate from milky
buttermilk.
Drain the buttermilk.

You can eat the butter now -- it has a light taste -- though it will store
better if you wash and work it.
Add 1/2 cup (100 mL) of ice-cold water, and blend further.
Discard wash water and repeat until the wash water is clear.
Now, work butter to remove suspended water.
Either place damp butter into a cool bowl and knead with a potato masher or
two forks; or put in large covered jar, and shake or tumble.
Continue working, pouring out the water occasionally, until most of the
water is removed.
The butter is now ready.
Put butter in a butter crock, ramekins, or roll in waxy freezer paper.

Yield: About half as much butter as the amount of cream you started with.

Various options:

Salt to taste before working, a few pinches.

Have the cream around 60°F/15°C before churning. (55°F/13°C for goat milk)

Obtain the freshest cream you can.
So-called "vat pasteurized cream" tastes better than ultra heat treated
(UHT) or HTST pasteurized.
Try calling your state Department of Agriculture, and asking the Milk
Control office who sells vat pasteurized cream.

Shake in a jar instead of a food processor.
Shake about once a second.
Add a marble to speed things up.
This is fun with kids, but expect it to take between 5-30 minutes,
depending on the shaking.

Culture the cream before churning.
Add a few tablespoons (50 mL) store-bought cultured yogurt, buttermilk,
sour cream, clabbered cream, or creme fraiche, and let sit about 12 hours
at warm room temperature (75°F/24°C is ideal) to thicken and ferment before
churning.
It should taste delicious, slightly sour, with no aftertaste.
If it is bubbly, or smells yeasty or gassy, discard.

Use some butter making tools, such as a churn, paddle for working, or molds
for forming the finished butter.

--
William Barfieldsr

Kramer

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
.. .
> Making Butter

Man, I've mostly kept my mouth shut about your off-topic postings. No more !
Post your ****ing Shit somewhere else ! A butter recipe in a mexican cooking
newsgroup ?!?!?!

Steve Wertz

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:32:49 GMT, "Kramer" >
wrote:

>"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Making Butter

>Man, I've mostly kept my mouth shut about your off-topic postings. No more !
>Post your ****ing Shit somewhere else ! A butter recipe in a mexican cooking
>newsgroup ?!?!?!

Worse, everything he posts here he also posts in
alt.food.mexican-cooking.

-sw
Steve Wertz

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:04:37 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Worse, everything he posts here he also posts in
>alt.food.mexican-cooking.

Doh! I mean alt.food.cooking-chat.

-sw
Rich McCormack

Kramer wrote:

> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Making Butter

> Man, I've mostly kept my mouth shut about your off-topic postings. No more !
> Post your ****ing Shit somewhere else ! A butter recipe in a mexican cooking
> newsgroup ?!?!?!

A1's posts might be a little off the wall sometimes and not always
"traditional" Mexican or even Mexican at all, but I think you're
being a bit harsh this time. I've made butter before, and it's
a satisfying experience with a tasty end result. I'll take
a homemade flour tortilla heated on a comal and slathered with
homemade butter over storebought bread spread with storebought
butter any day...

Shelora

If you over whip whipping cream,you have butter. And it makes amazing
butter cream for cakes or whatever you need butter for.

Rich McCormack > wrote in message >...
> Kramer wrote:
> >
> > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > Making Butter

> > Man, I've mostly kept my mouth shut about your off-topic postings. No more !
> > Post your ****ing Shit somewhere else ! A butter recipe in a mexican cooking
> > newsgroup ?!?!?!

> A1's posts might be a little off the wall sometimes and not always
> "traditional" Mexican or even Mexican at all, but I think you're
> being a bit harsh this time. I've made butter before, and it's
> a satisfying experience with a tasty end result. I'll take
> a homemade flour tortilla heated on a comal and slathered with
> homemade butter over storebought bread spread with storebought
> butter any day...

William Barfieldsr

!
> Post your ****ing Shit somewhere else ! A butter recipe in a mexican

cooking
> newsgroup ?!?!?!
>
> You idiot, mexicans have been making butter for over 2 hundred years.

William Barfieldsr.

Kramer

"William Barfieldsr" > wrote in message
news:2ZXpb.9989> > You idiot, mexicans have >been making butter for over 2
hundred years.
> William Barfieldsr.

You ****ing bozo ! Just because it's been made in Mexico for over 200 years
doesn't make it a Mexican food.

The Tex Mex

I think if a food is made and eaten for over two hundred years in a country,
it's pretty safe to say it's the food of that or any other country. Simply
because it wasn't invented there, doesn't mean it is not a countries dish. I
believe Mexican food has evolved from many diverse cultures through the
centuries. I'm talking about all the different countries coming to central
America and migrating north or south. South America has donated part of
their food culture to all of Central America including Mexico and vise
versa.

"Kramer" > wrote in message

> "William Barfieldsr" > wrote in message
> news:2ZXpb.9989> > You idiot, mexicans have >been making butter for over 2
> hundred years.
> > William Barfieldsr.
> >

> You ****ing bozo ! Just because it's been made in Mexico for over 200

years
> doesn't make it a Mexican food.

William Jennings

Default Making Butter - Mantequilla de Vaca

"The Tex Mex" > wrote in message
> I think if a food is made and eaten for over two hundred years in a

country,
> it's pretty safe to say it's the food of that or any other country.

Simply
> because it wasn't invented there, doesn't mean it is not a countries

dish. I
> believe Mexican food has evolved from many diverse cultures through

the
> centuries. I'm talking about all the different countries coming to

central
> America and migrating north or south. South America has donated part

of
> their food culture to all of Central America including Mexico and vise
> versa.

Maybe the secret word is "Mantequilla de Vaca." :-) To my taste
Mantequilla de Vaca in Mexico
in most stores is just passable. I buy Fern Butter from New Zealand
when in Mexico if I can find it.

doc

William Barfieldsr

"William Jennings" > wrote in message =
>=20
> "The Tex Mex" > wrote in message
> > I think if a food is made and eaten for over two hundred years in a

> country,
> > it's pretty safe to say it's the food of that or any other country.

> Simply
> > because it wasn't invented there, doesn't mean it is not a countries

> dish. I
> > believe Mexican food has evolved from many diverse cultures through

> the
> > centuries. I'm talking about all the different countries coming to

> central
> > America and migrating north or south. South America has donated part

> of
> > their food culture to all of Central America including Mexico and =

vise
> > versa.

>=20
> Maybe the secret word is "Mantequilla de Vaca." :-) To my taste
> Mantequilla de Vaca in Mexico
> in most stores is just passable. I buy Fern Butter from New Zealand
> when in Mexico if I can find it.
>=20
> doc

> Mantequilla de leche de vaca

=20
Emulsi=F3n de grasa de la leche y agua que se obtiene mediante batido de =
la nata.=20
Los datos del comercio comprenden la mantequilla de la leche de =
cualquier animal. =20
> --=20

William Barfieldsr
William Jennings

"William Barfieldsr" > wrote in message

> Mantequilla de leche de vaca

Emulsión de grasa de la leche y agua que se obtiene mediante batido de
la nata.
Los datos del comercio comprenden la mantequilla de la leche de
cualquier animal.
> --

William Barfieldsr

Demasiado técnico para mí. :-)