William Jennings

Default Frijoles a la Charra - Expert advice/opinions and pontifications sought

Hi everybody!!

I need need some expert advice concerning the referenced subject. In brief,
recently camping on the beach on a fishing trip
I used bottled spring water to soak and cook the beans. I cooked them long
and slow over mesquite coals in a covered Dutch oven using this recipe:

1 1/2 lbs.. Pinto beans,cleaned and washed
1 gallon spring water
Approx. 3/4 lb. lean bacon pieces, chopped into 1 inch squares
1/2 C. plus 1 Tbsp. fresh Garlic, chopped fine
4 Tbsp. Cilantro plus 1/8 C. Cilantro, chopped fine
1 C. White onions, chopped
1 Tbsp. Cumin ( toasted and ground)
1 teaspoon (approx) Chile Petin
1/2 gallon spring water
1 1/2 Tbsp. Salt
2 C. roasted Roma tomatoes, chopped

Preparation:
I soaked the beans in the spring water overnight then drained and replaced
with fresh spring water.
The bacon was fried crisp and 1/2 C. chopped garlic, 3 Tbsp.cilantro, and
chopped onions were added
to the and cooked until the onions were transparent then I added the beans,
cumin, and chili powder.
The beans were covered with approx. 2 inches of spring water, covered and
cooked slow about 2.5 hours
when I added the tomatoes, remaining garlic, and cilantro. This was cooked
another 30 minutes and set
about 30 minutes before we begin to eat.... they were still hot in the Dutch
oven.

These beans were the best I've ever made, the other fellows mentioned they
were outstanding. My question,
do you think it was the spring water or maybe the mesquite coals that made
the difference?

Expert advice/opinions and pontification will be much appreaciated. I want
to be able to consistently do this. Yes,
I make good/o.k Frijoles a la Charra often but what made them so great this
time?

Thanks,
doc

Wayne Lundberg

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
> Hi everybody!!
>
> I need need some expert advice concerning the referenced subject. In

brief,
> recently camping on the beach on a fishing trip

---snip---

In my humble opinion it was the tender loving care you gave this particular
dish at that particular time. I'm serious. If you ever saw the movie Agua
Para Chocolate you will get an idea of just how the cook's attitude affects
the food they cook when it gets into the guest's stomach and system. I
refuse to cook when I'm angry and I refuse to eat from a kitchen where I
know the cook is in a bad mood or angry.

I think this is another area where 'real' Mexican food comes into play. You
have to have respect for the ingredients you put into your cooking. When I
sort my beans I think of the vines and pods where they came from and in that
visualization I guess I give thanks for the gift. When I chop the onion the
same thing. Don't laugh! Cooking, to me, is an act of love and respect for
both the ingredients and for the people I will be feeding.

Enough said.

Wayne
www.rcsailcars.com

Misschef

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "William Jennings" > wrote in message
> > Hi everybody!!
> >
> > I need need some expert advice concerning the referenced subject. In

> brief,
> > recently camping on the beach on a fishing trip

> ---snip---
>
> In my humble opinion it was the tender loving care you gave this

particular
> dish at that particular time.

*snip*

I agree with you, Wayne. I've always thought the cook's mood at the time
has a lot to do with the final outcome of the dish. Recipes can seem to be
prepared
exactly the same way on different occasions, but one tastes better than the
other.
I have served dishes to customers on a "good mood" day and received rave
reviews.
Then, they come back and request it again on a "bad mood" day and it comes
out good,
but they say "it just wasn't the same as last time". I try to promote
another dish on the
"bad mood" days, lol.
This also re-enforces why it is good advice to plan ahead, remain calm and
focused, and
enjoy cooking. The food will likely be served at it's best.

"Happy Cooking" Misschef

Wayne Lundberg

I'd love to sit at your table!

Wayne

"Misschef" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > "William Jennings" > wrote in message
> > > Hi everybody!!
> > >
> > > I need need some expert advice concerning the referenced subject. In

> > brief,
> > > recently camping on the beach on a fishing trip

> > ---snip---
> >
> > In my humble opinion it was the tender loving care you gave this

> particular
> > dish at that particular time.

> *snip*
>
> I agree with you, Wayne. I've always thought the cook's mood at the time
> has a lot to do with the final outcome of the dish. Recipes can seem to be
> prepared
> exactly the same way on different occasions, but one tastes better than

the
> other.
> I have served dishes to customers on a "good mood" day and received rave
> reviews.
> Then, they come back and request it again on a "bad mood" day and it comes
> out good,
> but they say "it just wasn't the same as last time". I try to promote
> another dish on the
> "bad mood" days, lol.
> This also re-enforces why it is good advice to plan ahead, remain calm and
> focused, and
> enjoy cooking. The food will likely be served at it's best.
>
> "Happy Cooking" Misschef

David Wright

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:32:51 -0500, "William Jennings"
> wrote:

>Expert advice/opinions and pontification will be much appreaciated. I want
>to be able to consistently do this. Yes,
>I make good/o.k Frijoles a la Charra often but what made them so great this
>time?
>
>Thanks,
>doc

doc,

I enjoyed and agreed with what both Wayne and Misschef said. I can add
only two things.

First, maybe the long, slow cooking helped bring out the flavors of
all those wonderful and compatible ingredients, something that may not
happen when you (the collective "you") cook beans rapidly on the stove
to get them done as soon as possible. That might account for why beans
and soup often taste better the next day. (I'm going to test that
hypothesis with my next pot of beans.)

Also, if you're like I used to be when I was doing lots of field work
and camping, all that fresh air and strenuous activity just makes food
taste better. I still think back to how good some of the simplest
meals tasted when I was out of the kitchen and in camp.

Do you do much dutch oven cooking? I used to be friends in Idaho with
a couple who took people on float trips on the Salmon River. The "she"
of the couple was a good and versatile cook with dutch ovens, and used
them for breakfast and dinner every day on the river.

David

William Jennings

Great, just great answers from all of you! I cooked another pot of beans in
the crock pot today. This morning I dropped off two water samples at a
environmental lab, got a friend. I will report back the results.

No time at the moment.

Thank you all!

doc

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:32:51 -0500, "William Jennings"
> > wrote:
>
> >Expert advice/opinions and pontification will be much appreaciated. I

want
> >to be able to consistently do this. Yes,
> >I make good/o.k Frijoles a la Charra often but what made them so great

this
> >time?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >doc

> doc,
>
> I enjoyed and agreed with what both Wayne and Misschef said. I can add
> only two things.
>
> First, maybe the long, slow cooking helped bring out the flavors of
> all those wonderful and compatible ingredients, something that may not
> happen when you (the collective "you") cook beans rapidly on the stove
> to get them done as soon as possible. That might account for why beans
> and soup often taste better the next day. (I'm going to test that
> hypothesis with my next pot of beans.)
>
> Also, if you're like I used to be when I was doing lots of field work
> and camping, all that fresh air and strenuous activity just makes food
> taste better. I still think back to how good some of the simplest
> meals tasted when I was out of the kitchen and in camp.
>
> Do you do much dutch oven cooking? I used to be friends in Idaho with
> a couple who took people on float trips on the Salmon River. The "she"
> of the couple was a good and versatile cook with dutch ovens, and used
> them for breakfast and dinner every day on the river.
>
> David

Dimitri

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
> Hi everybody!!
>
> I need need some expert advice concerning the referenced subject. In

brief,
> recently camping on the beach on a fishing trip
> I used bottled spring water to soak and cook the beans. I cooked them

long
> and slow over mesquite coals in a covered Dutch oven using this recipe:
>
> 1 1/2 lbs.. Pinto beans,cleaned and washed
> 1 gallon spring water
> Approx. 3/4 lb. lean bacon pieces, chopped into 1 inch squares
> 1/2 C. plus 1 Tbsp. fresh Garlic, chopped fine
> 4 Tbsp. Cilantro plus 1/8 C. Cilantro, chopped fine
> 1 C. White onions, chopped
> 1 Tbsp. Cumin ( toasted and ground)
> 1 teaspoon (approx) Chile Petin
> 1/2 gallon spring water
> 1 1/2 Tbsp. Salt
> 2 C. roasted Roma tomatoes, chopped
>
> Preparation:
> I soaked the beans in the spring water overnight then drained and replaced
> with fresh spring water.
> The bacon was fried crisp and 1/2 C. chopped garlic, 3 Tbsp.cilantro, and
> chopped onions were added
> to the and cooked until the onions were transparent then I added the

beans,
> cumin, and chili powder.
> The beans were covered with approx. 2 inches of spring water, covered and
> cooked slow about 2.5 hours
> when I added the tomatoes, remaining garlic, and cilantro. This was cooked
> another 30 minutes and set
> about 30 minutes before we begin to eat.... they were still hot in the

Dutch
> oven.
>
> These beans were the best I've ever made, the other fellows mentioned they
> were outstanding. My question,
> do you think it was the spring water or maybe the mesquite coals that made
> the difference?
>
> Expert advice/opinions and pontification will be much appreaciated. I

want
> to be able to consistently do this. Yes,
> I make good/o.k Frijoles a la Charra often but what made them so great

this
> time?
>
> Thanks,
> doc

IMHO I believe there are several factors.

1. Changing the water is always recommended.
2. Since the beans were cooked in a Dutch oven, I presume the lid was on
for all (most) of the cooking I doubt if the smoke or smoky flavor entered
that way.
3. It certainly is a great recipe.
4. Without knowing the chemical composition of the water it is very hard
to say if there was an effect from the water. Now having said that, the
attributes of New York City food some think is attributable to the NYC tap
water which BTW does taste WONDERFUL.
5. The final point is if you were "camping" then the air was likely to be
fresher and your senses, smell and taste may have recovered from an urban
environment.

Additionally, vacations often jade all of our experiences as much of the day
to day stress is removed. Unfortunately many people believe the change in
feelings come from the vacation location and not the absence of stress.

In short when you feel good food tastes great.

Dimitri

William Jennings

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

I still have no time but this may interest some:
http://ruhlman.com/books/soul.htm
What Wayne said about "Agua Para Chocolate", reminded me of having read "
The Soul of a Chef".

Thanks,
doc

> IMHO I believe there are several factors.
>
> 1. Changing the water is always recommended.
> 2. Since the beans were cooked in a Dutch oven, I presume the lid was

on
> for all (most) of the cooking I doubt if the smoke or smoky flavor entered
> that way.
> 3. It certainly is a great recipe.
> 4. Without knowing the chemical composition of the water it is very

hard
> to say if there was an effect from the water. Now having said that, the
> attributes of New York City food some think is attributable to the NYC tap
> water which BTW does taste WONDERFUL.
> 5. The final point is if you were "camping" then the air was likely to

be
> fresher and your senses, smell and taste may have recovered from an urban
> environment.
>
> Additionally, vacations often jade all of our experiences as much of the

day
> to day stress is removed. Unfortunately many people believe the change in
> feelings come from the vacation location and not the absence of stress.
>
> In short when you feel good food tastes great.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
>

> I still have no time but this may interest some:
> http://ruhlman.com/books/soul.htm
> What Wayne said about "Agua Para Chocolate", reminded me of having read "
> The Soul of a Chef".
>
> Thanks,
> doc

Interesting - I collect cook books - my collection starts in the mid 1700's.
IMHO if you follow the culture and the evolution of the food both become
inseparable. As example, Mexico like the United Sates us a melting pot of
regional Indian cultures, influences by the French (great breads in Mexico),
The Spanish of course and the Germans with their Breweisters (Great beer
from Mexico). On and on it goes with every culture. Now we pay $10.00 for
a fancy pickle some toast and a slice of what the farmers did to preserve
the organ meat without refrigeration. It's called a pate.

Dimitri

William Jennings

"David Wright" > wrote in message

> Also, if you're like I used to be when I was doing lots of field work
> and camping, all that fresh air and strenuous activity just makes food
> taste better. I still think back to how good some of the simplest
> meals tasted when I was out of the kitchen and in camp.

Yes, most often this is the case, good, simple outdoor eating.

> Do you do much dutch oven cooking? I used to be friends in Idaho with
> a couple who took people on float trips on the Salmon River. The "she"
> of the couple was a good and versatile cook with dutch ovens, and used
> them for breakfast and dinner every day on the river.

Yes, I have a good assortment of cast iron pots, skillets and Dutch ovens.
It's heavy but it's what does the job.
We use something call a "disko", a tractor plow disk welded closed at the
bottom with a raised lip 3". This sits above the fire
on a easy to break down steel re-bar tripod for deep frying fish. A "disko"
is concave and maintains that 365 degrees while cooking a mess of fish. It
originates from the Mexican ranch workers deep frying cracklings. This
keeps the very hot oil off the beach sand or tenative jackleg rig providing
a safe, stable work area.

A Dutch oven will make everything from beans to great pineapple up-side down
cake with that great carmelized
brown sugar topping. I just let it sit a few minutes and insert a plate on
the cake before turning it over. This last about 5 minutes with four sport
fisherman. Welders gloves makes working with the Dutch ovens easy and
effective.

doc

William Jennings

> In my humble opinion it was the tender loving care you gave this

particular
> dish at that particular time. I'm serious.

And you are dead right! We ought to sit down with a good cutting board,
proper knifes taking full measures cleaning,
slicing and cutting stuff or selecting his spices.

If you ever saw the movie Agua
> Para Chocolate you will get an idea of just how the cook's attitude

affects
> the food they cook when it gets into the guest's stomach and system.

Yes, but I didn't think of it at the time. That house where much of the
movie was filmed is located about 5 miles across the Amistad Dam
International bridge over the Rio Bravo (Grande) from Del Rio, Texas. Ol'
doc had a little lady friend associated with that movie.... and my system
(back in the time of Room Service and "Boiling hot water for chocolate
nights and days." :-)

Now an old man, I just pick the freshest and most flavored vegetables I can
find and cut or chop them carefully.... and laughs :-

doc

Jim Lane

William Jennings wrote:

> "David Wright" > wrote in message
>

>>Also, if you're like I used to be when I was doing lots of field work
>>and camping, all that fresh air and strenuous activity just makes food
>>taste better. I still think back to how good some of the simplest
>>meals tasted when I was out of the kitchen and in camp.

> Yes, most often this is the case, good, simple outdoor eating.
>

>>Do you do much dutch oven cooking? I used to be friends in Idaho with
>>a couple who took people on float trips on the Salmon River. The "she"
>>of the couple was a good and versatile cook with dutch ovens, and used
>>them for breakfast and dinner every day on the river.

> Yes, I have a good assortment of cast iron pots, skillets and Dutch ovens.
> It's heavy but it's what does the job.
> We use something call a "disko", a tractor plow disk welded closed at the
> bottom with a raised lip 3". This sits above the fire
> on a easy to break down steel re-bar tripod for deep frying fish. A "disko"
> is concave and maintains that 365 degrees while cooking a mess of fish. It
> originates from the Mexican ranch workers deep frying cracklings. This
> keeps the very hot oil off the beach sand or tenative jackleg rig providing
> a safe, stable work area.
>
> A Dutch oven will make everything from beans to great pineapple up-side down
> cake with that great carmelized
> brown sugar topping. I just let it sit a few minutes and insert a plate on
> the cake before turning it over. This last about 5 minutes with four sport
> fisherman. Welders gloves makes working with the Dutch ovens easy and
> effective.
>
> doc

Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for this?

jim

William Jennings

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

> Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for this?

Yes, I've watched them do it and discussed making them with several hands.
I'll send a recipe or two tomorrow.
The only hard part is finding good, fresh pig skin. Btw, this is something
you want to do out of doors.

Might be best to check out your local country meat packing plant. In
Spanish it's called Chicharon.

doc

William Jennings

Default Chicharon or Pork Cracklings

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

> Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for this?

Chicharon or Pork Cracklings

Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into strips or
1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.

These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or baked in
the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in peanut oil
( 360 degrees) so they puff.

doc

A1 WBarfieldsr

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
news

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
> > Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for this?

> Chicharon or Pork Cracklings
>
> Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into strips
or
> 1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.
>
> These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or baked

in
> the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in peanut

oil
> ( 360 degrees) so they puff.
>

> doc
>
> Crackings is the solids left from rendering lard. Chicharon or fried pig

skins are something different. We used crackings for cornbread and they are
small slightly hard pieces of meat and skin, not like the puffed up fried
pig skins. They may be the samething, but I have never seen puffed
cracklings.
> --

William Barfieldsr

William Jennings

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
...> > Crackings is the solids
left from rendering lard. Chicharon or fried pig
> skins are something different. We used crackings for cornbread and they

are
> small slightly hard pieces of meat and skin, not like the puffed up fried
> pig skins. They may be the samething, but I have never seen puffed
> cracklings.

There are a number of products going under similar and often misleading
names. I agree with your statement. You can find huge chicharon's all
puffed up here in the local stores (South Texas.) Along the boarder plex
and on the ranches they still
make crackings, at least the ones I described. I have no use for those
large puffy BBQ'ed flavored snack foods found on racks at truck stops. They
also sometimes deep fry tripe, see: http://www.tripesite.com/lore.html

Btw: You can take good crackings (the small tight one's) and drop a small
handful in boiling water to soften for 10 or 15 minutes. Let these dry on
newspaper then slowly re-fry. The small amout of oil given off is highly
flavored and great for
scrambled eggs. When the eggs just begin to set put the chopped chicharones
in and mix. These make great breakfast tacos
with a nice green sauce.....

doc

A1 WBarfieldsr

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
news

> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> ...> > Crackings is the
solids
> left from rendering lard. Chicharon or fried pig
> > skins are something different. We used crackings for cornbread and they

> are
> > small slightly hard pieces of meat and skin, not like the puffed up

fried
> > pig skins. They may be the samething, but I have never seen puffed
> > cracklings.

> There are a number of products going under similar and often misleading
> names. I agree with your statement. You can find huge chicharon's all
> puffed up here in the local stores (South Texas.) Along the boarder plex
> and on the ranches they still
> make crackings, at least the ones I described. I have no use for those
> large puffy BBQ'ed flavored snack foods found on racks at truck stops.

They
> also sometimes deep fry tripe, see: http://www.tripesite.com/lore.html
>
> Btw: You can take good crackings (the small tight one's) and drop a small
> handful in boiling water to soften for 10 or 15 minutes. Let these dry

on
> newspaper then slowly re-fry. The small amout of oil given off is highly
> flavored and great for
> scrambled eggs. When the eggs just begin to set put the chopped

chicharones
> in and mix. These make great breakfast tacos
> with a nice green sauce.....
>
> doc

That's a great site, thanks for posting it. Do you think the commercially
packaged crackings would work with the eggs as you stated above? I haven't
rendered lard in along time.
> --

William Barfieldsr

A1 WBarfieldsr

"William Jennings" > wrote in message
news

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
> > Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for this?

> Chicharon or Pork Cracklings
>
> Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into strips
or
> 1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.
>
> These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or baked

in
> the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in peanut

oil
> ( 360 degrees) so they puff.
>

> doc
>
> I got these off Rec.food.recipes NG and thought they would be appropriate

to the Crackling post.

Crackling Cookies
Mom's Crackling Cookies
Crackling Cookies
Crackling Cookies

Crackling Cookies

2 cup cracklings
1 cup raisins
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. soda in 1/2 cup hot water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour

Grind first two ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients. Drop on
cookie sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Mom's Crackling Cookies

2 eggs, beaten lightly
2 cup sugar
2 cup cracklings
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sour milk
1 tsp. soda
4 cup flour

1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup nuts

Blend together 2 eggs, beaten lightly and 2 cup sugar
Add cracklings, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and sour milk
Mix and add soda and flour. Add raisins and nuts
Drop from spoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Crackling Cookies

2 cup sugar
1 cup syrup
1 cup molasses
3 cup cracklings
2 tsp. soda
2 eggs
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
6 cup flour

Mix all well. Drop on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees.

Crackling Cookies

2 1/2 cup cracklings
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. soda
Nuts or raisins (opt.)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 cup flour

Mix together. Drop by spoonfuls. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15
minutes.

> --

William Barfieldsr

William Jennings

Default Chicharon or Pork Cracklings & Criminal Toco's

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message

> That's a great site, thanks for posting it. Do you think the commercially
> packaged crackings would work with the eggs as you stated above? I haven't
> rendered lard in along time.
> > --

> William Barfieldsr

Hombre,

That's all I use! I shop for a local brand that is very meaty without a lot
of fat. Have you considered how hard it is to find
good salt pork much less what is known as "Fat Back" these days? I recall
seeing canned pig skin that was in one piece that rolled out flat..... once!

Try that taco with a homemade green sauce more on the cilantro/chile petin
side in some fresh homemade, soft, thick flour tortillas. I made these
twiceon my last fishing trip and the fellows always want them. I'm now the
camp cook among three other good camp/hunting/fishing friends. Sadly, I used
to be the hardcore terminal sport fisherman "doc". I'm sometimes reminded,
by a "Where's "Cookie" oh, I mean doc?!

Whoops, think I just commited a sin on alt.food.mexican....... illegal alien
toco's

O.K I'm sorry ... I'll refund your money and give you a neat site:
http://tinyurl.com/qe6n" This stuff definitely computes.

doc

William Jennings

A1, perhaps this NG should have a little rule about posting your weight with
recipes! :-)

doc

> [...]

> 1 tsp. lemon juice
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
> 1/2 tsp. ginger
> 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp. cloves
> 6 cup flour
>
> Mix all well. Drop on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees.
>

> Crackling Cookies
>
> 2 1/2 cup cracklings
> 2 eggs
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
> 1 1/2 tsp. soda
> Nuts or raisins (opt.)
> 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 3/4 cup buttermilk
> 3 Tbsp. corn syrup
> 1 tsp. nutmeg
> 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
> 2 cup flour
>
> Mix together. Drop by spoonfuls. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15

Douglas S. Ladden

William Jennings on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
>> Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for
>> this?

> Chicharon or Pork Cracklings
>
> Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into
> strips or
> 1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.
>
> These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or
> baked in
> the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in
> peanut oil ( 360 degrees) so they puff.
>

> doc

I'm not familiar with "Pork Cracklings", but I am familiar with
Chicharron, and how to make it, as my grandparents and uncles used to
raise pigs, and make chicharron from the freshly slaughtered animal. We
used to skin the animal, and tried to keep the skin as contiguous and
large as possible. then the skin was dropped into very hot oil in a
"cazo", a very large metal "pot", for lack of a better term. There was
no exact time it remained in the oil, you just eyeballed it, and could
tell when it was ready.

--Douglas
Douglas S. Ladden

Douglas S. Ladden on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:

> William Jennings on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:
>

>> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for
>>> this?

>> Chicharon or Pork Cracklings
>>
>> Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into
>> strips or
>> 1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.
>>
>> These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or
>> baked in
>> the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in
>> peanut oil ( 360 degrees) so they puff.
>>

>> doc
>>

> I'm not familiar with "Pork Cracklings", but I am familiar
> with
> Chicharron, and how to make it, as my grandparents and uncles used to
> raise pigs, and make chicharron from the freshly slaughtered animal.
> We used to skin the animal, and tried to keep the skin as contiguous
> and large as possible. then the skin was dropped into very hot oil in
> a "cazo", a very large metal "pot", for lack of a better term. There
> was no exact time it remained in the oil, you just eyeballed it, and
> could tell when it was ready.

I just want to correct one thing I said above. The "hot oil" is
actually the lard from the animal itself. Not sure why that didn't
click when I made the original post.

--Douglas
Wayne Lundberg

That's the way to go!

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

William Jennings

Sadly, the last time I saw one of those old large ranch black cast iron
kettles it was serving up pink geraniums as lawn art.
As a kid my grandmother had one near the cistern. During the war they would
dip freshly murdered chickens in that hot water to remove the feathers. I
was more interested in chickens running around headless, hitting the butane
tank, getting up to run again and looking forward to fried chicken or
chicken and dumplings. Every so often my grandmother would let one run
around headless if my mother wasn't around. We rasied a few beef, milk
cows, chickens and hogs before Safeway came in. Heck, you don't even see
many gardens in the country these days. My first real taste of making good
stuff to eat was churning butter after school watching American Bandstand.

P.E.T.A does stand for People Easting Tasty Animals..... right?

doc

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
. 16...
> Douglas S. Ladden on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:
>
> > William Jennings on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:

> >> Chicharon or Pork Cracklings
> >>
> >> Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into
> >> strips or
> >> 1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.
> >>
> >> These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or
> >> baked in
> >> the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in
> >> peanut oil ( 360 degrees) so they puff.
> >>

> >> doc
> >>

> > I'm not familiar with "Pork Cracklings", but I am familiar
> > with
> > Chicharron, and how to make it, as my grandparents and uncles used to
> > raise pigs, and make chicharron from the freshly slaughtered animal.
> > We used to skin the animal, and tried to keep the skin as contiguous
> > and large as possible. then the skin was dropped into very hot oil in
> > a "cazo", a very large metal "pot", for lack of a better term. There
> > was no exact time it remained in the oil, you just eyeballed it, and
> > could tell when it was ready.
> >

> I just want to correct one thing I said above. The "hot oil" is
> actually the lard from the animal itself. Not sure why that didn't
> click when I made the original post.
>
> --Douglas

Douglas S. Ladden

William Jennings on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:

[TOP POSTING FIXED]
> "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> . 16...
>> Douglas S. Ladden on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:
>>
>> > I'm not familiar with "Pork Cracklings", but I am
>> > familiar with
>> > Chicharron, and how to make it, as my grandparents and uncles used
>> > to raise pigs, and make chicharron from the freshly slaughtered
>> > animal. We used to skin the animal, and tried to keep the skin as
>> > contiguous and large as possible. then the skin was dropped into
>> > very hot oil in a "cazo", a very large metal "pot", for lack of a
>> > better term. There was no exact time it remained in the oil, you
>> > just eyeballed it, and could tell when it was ready.
>> >

>> I just want to correct one thing I said above. The "hot oil" is
>> actually the lard from the animal itself. Not sure why that didn't
>> click when I made the original post.
>>
>> --Douglas

> Sadly, the last time I saw one of those old large ranch black cast
> iron kettles it was serving up pink geraniums as lawn art.

The cazo we used was likely stainless steel, though I guess it
could have been aluminum. I tried looking for a picture of one on the
net, but couldn't find a good, representative one. I know it was not
cast iron, as it was no where near as heavy or as thick as cast iron
would be, nor was it black.

> As a kid my grandmother had one near the cistern. During the war
> they would dip freshly murdered chickens in that hot water to remove
> the feathers.

It works almost the same with pigs. Right after killing them, you
pour boiling water on them, and shave them, so you don't get hair in the
chicharron.

> I was more interested in chickens running around
> headless, hitting the butane tank, getting up to run again and
> looking forward to fried chicken or chicken and dumplings. Every so
> often my grandmother would let one run around headless if my mother
> wasn't around. We rasied a few beef, milk cows, chickens and hogs
> before Safeway came in.

We had pigs, turkeys, chickens, and I think when I was really
young we had cows, too, but that memory is unclear.

> Heck, you don't even see many gardens in the
> country these days.

It's true. I gave up gardening when my rabbits and the
neighborhood squirrels conspired against me, to eat everything before
they yielded any fruit.

> P.E.T.A does stand for People Easting Tasty Animals..... right?

Sounds like a wonderful .sig to use in the right NGs. *laf*

--Douglas

William Jennings

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message >

> It's true. I gave up gardening when my rabbits and the
> neighborhood squirrels conspired against me, to eat everything before
> they yielded any fruit.

I can recall having squirrel and dumplings often at a boyhood friend's house
when I was about 12 years old. The dogs got most the rabbits.

Btw, I stopped by the store and picked up a bag of "Chicharones" which is
also labled "Pork Crackins" (no -g-)
Yes, I remember chicharones were cooked in their own rendered fat. The
recipe I gave was for home style chicharones.
You know I can't rightly recall the last time I saw a real pig. I did see a
live Russian bore on the Aransas Refuge a year
back with tusk about 6" long. He was just observable for a few seconds
before he slipped back in the brush. My girlfriend
wouldn't get out of the truck until we got back to Seadrift. She thought it
should be against the law to let something that big, mean and ugly be
allowed to run free.

doc

William Jennings

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
news
> Interesting - I collect cook books - my collection starts in the mid

1700's.
> IMHO if you follow the culture and the evolution of the food both become
> inseparable. As example, Mexico like the United Sates us a melting pot of
> regional Indian cultures, influences by the French (great breads in

Mexico),
> The Spanish of course and the Germans with their Breweisters (Great beer
> from Mexico). On and on it goes with every culture. Now we pay $10.00

for
> a fancy pickle some toast and a slice of what the farmers did to preserve
> the organ meat without refrigeration. It's called a pate.

You're dead on Dimitri. Spices was part and parcel of Marco Polo's trip and
the Columbus journey. I also collect
cook books and enjoy the reading the history. I also like Vietnamese foods
and do some myself. I was very surprised
to learn the Vietnamese fish sauce I enjoy was very well known to the
Roman's as Garum.

The kids in Mexico these days rather have "Bimbo" sliced white bread now
instead of corn tortillas. Our fast foods, McDonalds and the like, have
really made an impact from what I see.

doc

Douglas S. Ladden

William Jennings on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:

> I can recall having squirrel and dumplings often at a boyhood
> friend's house when I was about 12 years old. The dogs got most the
> rabbits.

I have never eaten squirrel, though I have tried some other
critters. The oddest is probably monkey, which I tried in the jungles
of Veracruz. And you know, it did NOT taste like chicken.

> Btw, I stopped by the store and picked up a bag of "Chicharones"
> which is also labled "Pork Crackins" (no -g-)

I won't buy the packaged stuff, not even in Mexico. Also, in
Mexico, they sell flour-based chicharron, which doesn't taste bad, may
be healthier, and yet doesn't compare to the real chicharron.

> Yes, I remember chicharones were cooked in their own rendered fat.

As are carnitas, another wonderful Mexican food.

> You know I can't rightly recall the last time I saw a real pig.

I see them every time I go to Mexico, and at the County Fair.

> I did see a live Russian bore on the Aransas Refuge a year
> back with tusk about 6" long.

We supposedly have wild boar in the hills both to the west and
east of this valley, though I have never observed them. Mind you, I
don't hike in those areas anymore, not since the County Vector Control
posted on their website that there are rodents in those areas carrying
both Bubonic plague, and Hanta virus. Personally, I would rather face
the boar, which I can see and defend against, than the little microbes
that attack surreptitiously.

--Douglas

David Wright

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:46:41 -0500, "William Jennings"
> wrote:

>You know I can't rightly recall the last time I saw a real pig. I did see a
>live Russian bore on the Aransas Refuge a year
>back with tusk about 6" long. He was just observable for a few seconds
>before he slipped back in the brush.

Last May, a friend gave me a shoulder-upper arm of a Russian Boar he'd
killed on his small ranch near San Antonio. I used some of it to make
chorizo and some to make another sausage, and later I was sorry I
hadn't made all of it into chorizo. Next time.

David
Francisco Gaxiola

On 10/24/03 2:52 PM, in article
, "Douglas S. Ladden"
> wrote:

> William Jennings on 24 Oct 2003 suggested:
>

>> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Speaking of deep-freid cracklings, does anyone have a recipe for
>>> this?

>> Chicharon or Pork Cracklings
>>
>> Approx. 3 cups lightly salted water to 2 lb. pork rind cut into
>> strips or
>> 1inch squares are slow boiled approx. 30 minutes.
>>
>> These can be deep fried after air drying on a pan until crisp or
>> baked in
>> the oven for approx. 3 hours at 300 degrees F then deep fried in
>> peanut oil ( 360 degrees) so they puff.
>>

>> doc
>>

> I'm not familiar with "Pork Cracklings", but I am familiar with
> Chicharron, and how to make it, as my grandparents and uncles used to
> raise pigs, and make chicharron from the freshly slaughtered animal. We
> used to skin the animal, and tried to keep the skin as contiguous and
> large as possible. then the skin was dropped into very hot oil in a
> "cazo", a very large metal "pot", for lack of a better term. There was
> no exact time it remained in the oil, you just eyeballed it, and could
> tell when it was ready.
>
> --Douglas

Cazos are mainly made of copper because of it's ability to spread heat very
quickly, as opposed to steel.

Douglas S. Ladden

Francisco Gaxiola on 25 Oct 2003 suggested:

> Cazos are mainly made of copper because of it's ability to spread
> heat very quickly, as opposed to steel.

You may be right, but ours was silver in color, and I'm pretty sure
was stainless steel. Also, on the net, the ones I find for sale all seem
to be stainless steel. The next time I'm in Mexico, I'll check out the
places that make chicharron, and see what kind of cazo they use, and maybe
even take pictures.

--Douglas

William Jennings

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message

The oddest is probably monkey, which I tried in the jungles
> of Veracruz. And you know, it did NOT taste like chicken.

I lived in Tlacotalpan and spent time in Largo Catemaco where there are
monkeys on isla de changos and Alvarado. Haven't had a toco de chango that
I know of. Thinking of going back to Tlacotalpan if things haven't changed
too much since I left some 20 years ago.

doc

maiggy

As one who makes a pot of frijoles in this style every week, I am convinced
it is the mood that makes the difference and occasionally the variations of
ingredients. Today, I made a pot and I think they are not as flavorful as I
would like them. I usually add bacon drippings, but didn't have much left
in the fridge. They still came out very tasty and my husband crowed over
them. I don't always use chili powder or comino because sometimes I add
serranos or jalapeños depending on the mood I'm in. Also, other smoked
meats can be used other than bacon, like salt pork, deboned ham hocks, a ham
bone with some meat left on it or smoked pork neck bones. Trust me boys,
I've been making beans since I was knee high to a grasshopper as it is a
staple dish in any hispanic household. My suggestion is to try different
variations until you come up with a variation that best suits your palate.
As for the coals, I think it may have added something to the
psychological/palate experience. I remember they always tasted better for
some reason when my abuelita (grandma) would make them like that when we'd
go to the ranch on weekends to tend to once a week chores as we lived in
town. It could also be that we enjoyed them better because it was always a
great time that we spent with the abuelos (grandparents) even though we had
lots to do, such as your fishing trip was a relaxing and enjoyed time.
Molcajete Mama
"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> [...]

> 3. It certainly is a great recipe.
> 4. Without knowing the chemical composition of the water it is very

hard
> to say if there was an effect from the water. Now having said that, the
> attributes of New York City food some think is attributable to the NYC tap
> water which BTW does taste WONDERFUL.
> 5. The final point is if you were "camping" then the air was likely to

be
> fresher and your senses, smell and taste may have recovered from an urban
> environment.
>
> Additionally, vacations often jade all of our experiences as much of the

day
> to day stress is removed. Unfortunately many people believe the change in
> feelings come from the vacation location and not the absence of stress.
>
> In short when you feel good food tastes great.

Advice sought. [email protected] Preserving 39 29-03-2009 05:00 AM
Advice sought. The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 2 29-03-2009 04:47 AM
Advice sought. [email protected] Preserving 0 20-03-2009 11:11 PM
advice sought Donald Eagle Wine 9 23-11-2006 05:19 PM
2 St Emilions, opinions sought jcoulter Wine 18 06-03-2005 12:28 PM