FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Fresh Roasted Chiles (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14128-fresh-roasted-chiles.html)

Misschef 20-10-2003 11:14 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

I have just finished roasting 2 bushels of fresh chilies on my barbeque
grill. An assortment of Anaheim's, Sandia's, Pueblo's and Ancho's - mostly
Ancho's, my favorite. I added mesquite wood chunks to the coals and they
smelled like heaven when roasting. After this post I will commence with the
peeling process. Tomorrow, the gigantic stock pot goes on the stovetop for
the preparation of Chili Verde con Puerca. I will, of course, save some
chilies in the freezer for other dishes to be made on another day. I think
16 or 18 quarts of Green Chili with Pork ought to be sufficient for awhile,
lol.
I have posted the recipe here before, but if any of you want it again,
please ask and ye shall receive. Ahhhhhhhhhh, life is good.

misschef

Brent Eamer 22-10-2003 05:26 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

I see you froze, chilies, I assume you chop them while frozen and go from
there?
How much *pungence* do they lose whilst frozen?

nk.net...

David Wright 22-10-2003 06:39 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:14:57 GMT, "Misschef" >
wrote:

>I have just finished roasting 2 bushels of fresh chilies on my barbeque
>grill. An assortment of Anaheim's, Sandia's, Pueblo's and Ancho's - mostly
>Ancho's, my favorite.

I don't know Pueblos and, to me, Anchos are dried Poblanos. Did you
roast dried chiles, or are they something else?

> I added mesquite wood chunks to the coals and they
>smelled like heaven when roasting.

Sounds great -- I'll bet you drove the neighbors crazy with the
wonderful aroma!

>I will, of course, save some
>chilies in the freezer for other dishes to be made on another day.

Do you know that you don't have to peel the ones you freeze until you
thaw them. I think they're even easier to peel that way, and you don't
have that extra work to do now.

David, just back from New Mexico with a stash of my own

Misschef 22-10-2003 06:47 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

"Brent Eamer" > wrote in message
> I see you froze, chilies, I assume you chop them while frozen and go from
> there?
> How much *pungence* do they lose whilst frozen?

<snip>

I usually chop them after thawing, but I bet chopping when frozen would
work, too.
I have not found that they lose any "pungence". If they do, it is marginal.

misschef

Misschef 22-10-2003 07:20 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

"David Wright" > wrote in message

<snip>

> I don't know Pueblos and, to me, Anchos are dried Poblanos. Did you
> roast dried chiles, or are they something else?

Pueblos are a medium-hot variety and I believe they are grown in Colorado
(Maybe near Pueblo, Colo, lol?). They may be called a different name
elsewhere, but I have always called them Pueblo's. They look almost exactly
like Anahiems, about 6-8 inches long, but the heat factor is substantially
more.
I grew up in Colorado and now live in Florida. Back then everyone seemed to
refer to the fresh Poblanos as Anchos and I guess that habit stuck with me.
You are absolutely right, David, Anchos are dried Poblanos. I can see where
there is a misrepresentation on my part, sorry. I did roast Poblanos. As a
matter of fact, when I was at the open air market in Colorado buying the
chilies I asked for a half bushel of Poblanos and pointed to the ones I
wanted. The 2 fellas there that were selling and roasting them there spoke
only a little English and I speak only a little Spanish. They quieried
"Anchos, Senora"? I said "No, Poblanos, por favor". They said, "Anchos,
Senora". (pointing at the Poblanos) I thought "whatever, just bag em' up".

> > I added mesquite wood chunks to the coals and they
> >smelled like heaven when roasting.

> Sounds great -- I'll bet you drove the neighbors crazy with the
> wonderful aroma!

My closest neighbor stopped by and asked what I was grilling. I told her all
about the "wonderful world of chilies" and she was fascinated. She said
she'd be right over when the Green Chili was finished, lol. (I gave her a
bowl when I got done cooking it, she loved it!)

> >I will, of course, save some
> >chilies in the freezer for other dishes to be made on another day.

> Do you know that you don't have to peel the ones you freeze until you
> thaw them. I think they're even easier to peel that way, and you don't
> have that extra work to do now.

Really? I have always wondered that, but have never tried it. I have only
ever heard it said that you should peel them after steaming them freshly
roasted. I usually roast chilies in large quantities and didn't want to risk
it in case it didn't work. Thanks, David! That will cut down that first
day's workload a lot.

<snip>

One more thing......Anyone know where I can order chilies online? I've done
a Google search (albeit, not an extensive one)and can't find any. The market
in Colorado said they don't ship. I know the growing season is pretty much
over, at least in Colorado, but I would love to be able to get them without
flying to Colorado myself and bringing them back on the plane. The ONLY
chilies I seem to be able to find here are on the grocery store shelf in
those little bitty cans. I would need 172 cans to make a pot of chili !!!

Thanks......misschef

David Wright 22-10-2003 07:51 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:20:54 GMT, "Misschef" >
wrote:

>Pueblos are a medium-hot variety and I believe they are grown in Colorado
>(Maybe near Pueblo, Colo, lol?). They may be called a different name
>elsewhere, but I have always called them Pueblo's.

Yessss! See below.

>They look almost exactly
>like Anahiems, about 6-8 inches long, but the heat factor is substantially
>more.

IIRC, Anaheims are based on seeds that came from New Mexico and were
planted in Orange County, Calif., by either Mr. Anaheim, a local
rancher, or by Mr. Ortega, the county sheriff (depending on which
story you find.) I think they're milder because the growing conditions
aren't as stressful as those in NM-CO.

>Thanks, David! That will cut down that first
>day's workload a lot.

Hey, you're welcome. I just put my freshly-roasted chiles into a
freezer bag to let them steam a little while, then pop 'em into the
freezer.

>One more thing......Anyone know where I can order chilies online? I've done
>a Google search (albeit, not an extensive one)and can't find any.

I googled on "pueblo chile colorado" and got this as the first hit:
<http://www.mirasolchile.com/> Cool site, and it looks as if they
still have some green chiles.

When we drove through Hatch, NM, last Wednesday on the way home, we
saw one stand open. It' almost over, and I'm a little surprised there
still are some as far north of Pueblo.

I didn't cook as enthusiastically as you did after getting home, but I
did make a fine pot of posole with some of the frozen nixtamal we
bought, as well as fresh chiles. Real comfort food!

David

Misschef 22-10-2003 08:07 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

"David Wright" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I googled on "pueblo chile colorado" and got this as the first hit:
> <http://www.mirasolchile.com/> Cool site, and it looks as if they
> still have some green chiles.

Thanks, I'll check it out. But, alas, my freezer is full right now. Couldn't
get a toothpick in there if I tried, lol. I will keep this site in my files
and
refer to it next season.

> When we drove through Hatch, NM, last Wednesday on the way home, we
> saw one stand open. It' almost over, and I'm a little surprised there
> still are some as far north of Pueblo.

I, too, was surprised to see fresh chilies this late in the year. Me thinks
the mild
fall in Colorado so far has helped.

> I didn't cook as enthusiastically as you did after getting home, but I
> did make a fine pot of posole with some of the frozen nixtamal we
> bought, as well as fresh chiles. Real comfort food!

YUM!

misschef

Misschef 22-10-2003 08:20 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

"Misschef" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> > I googled on "pueblo chile colorado" and got this as the first hit:
> > <http://www.mirasolchile.com/> Cool site, and it looks as if they
> > still have some green chiles.

> Thanks, I'll check it out. But, alas, my freezer is full right now.

Couldn't
> get a toothpick in there if I tried, lol. I will keep this site in my

files
> and
> refer to it next season.

P.S. Ya got me going here, David. I googled again and found a site to get
large cans of whole green chilies in the off season. (not NEAR as good as
fresh,
but when you can't get em...........) Like I said, I can't find anything
other than the
"microscopic" size here.
Here's the site if anyone else is as unfortunate as I and lives in a place
where green
chilies are about as common as a snowstorm during July in south Florida.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/14980.html

Frogleg 22-10-2003 08:30 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

wrote:

>I have just finished roasting 2 bushels of fresh chilies on my barbeque
>grill. An assortment of Anaheim's, Sandia's, Pueblo's and Ancho's - mostly
>Ancho's, my favorite.

And no posted invitations? Golly, I'm envious. Best wishes for a
fragrant and flavorful winter!

[I sometimes dream of Casa Luna's pepperoni and green chile pizza.
Now, older and wiser, I'd ask them to leave off the pepperoni and add
more chile.]

Steve Wertz 22-10-2003 08:58 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

wrote:

>I grew up in Colorado and now live in Florida. Back then everyone seemed to
>refer to the fresh Poblanos as Anchos and I guess that habit stuck with me.

I grew up in Northern CA where they call pablanos, "pasillas" (which
are a completely different animal).

-sw

Misschef 23-10-2003 01:16 AM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> And no posted invitations? Golly, I'm envious. Best wishes for a
> fragrant and flavorful winter!

C'mon!!! Green Chili for everyone!! (well, almost everyone...Ha-Ha)
Mariachi's may be difficult, but I'm sure I can arrange "piped-in" music.
The tiki torches will be lit and strategically placed. The plywood hurricane
window covers can be pulled out of the shed and used as a temporary
dance floor. The cervesa and tequilla will flow freely, as will the
laughter.
Bring your favorite Mexican dish!

Mi Casa, Su Casa......... Misschef

Jack Schidt® 25-10-2003 02:27 PM

Fresh Roasted Chiles

"Misschef" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Frogleg" > wrote in message
> > And no posted invitations? Golly, I'm envious. Best wishes for a
> > fragrant and flavorful winter!

> C'mon!!! Green Chili for everyone!! (well, almost everyone...Ha-Ha)
> Mariachi's may be difficult, but I'm sure I can arrange "piped-in" music.
> The tiki torches will be lit and strategically placed. The plywood

hurricane
> window covers can be pulled out of the shed and used as a temporary
> dance floor. The cervesa and tequilla will flow freely, as will the
> laughter.
> Bring your favorite Mexican dish!
>
> Mi Casa, Su Casa......... Misschef
>
> > [I sometimes dream of Casa Luna's pepperoni and green chile pizza.
> > Now, older and wiser, I'd ask them to leave off the pepperoni and add
> > more chile.]

....or substitute chorizo!

Jack