Alan Sandoval

Default Origin of albondagas soup?

My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've only
found it at a few places here in S Calif.

Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional? If it
is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?

I do remember my mother always kept a mint plant growing in the yard,
seemingly only for a key ingredient in albondigas. And yes, my mother
contributed the Danish half of my heritage, guess paternal grandmother
taught her well in the kitchen.

Alan Sandoval

Linda

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
> origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've

only
> found it at a few places here in S Calif.
>
> Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional? If

it
> is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?
>
> I do remember my mother always kept a mint plant growing in the yard,
> seemingly only for a key ingredient in albondigas. And yes, my mother
> contributed the Danish half of my heritage, guess paternal grandmother
> taught her well in the kitchen.
>
> Alan Sandoval

Where in S. Cal. do you live? I live in the Northern San Diego area and
almost
all of the Mexican restaurants I know of serve albondigas soup. I don't
know the origin
of the soup but it is quite common in Mexico. As for being regional, I found
it
in Jalisco, Nayarit, Sonora and Baja.

Yes, mint is an ingredient in albondigas.

Linda

bunchi

Alan, there is a restaurant called La Chiquita in Santa Ana that has great
albondags. It's off the 5, exit 17th Street.

Address: 906 E. Washington Ave
Ph: (714) 543-8707

Definitely a hole in the wall restaurant, but very good. I go there whenever
I have to call on my client in Santa Ana.

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message

> > Where in S. Cal. do you live? I live in the Northern San Diego area and
> > almost
> > all of the Mexican restaurants I know of serve albondigas soup. I don't
> > know the origin
> > of the soup but it is quite common in Mexico. As for being regional, I

> found
> > it
> > in Jalisco, Nayarit, Sonora and Baja.
> >
> > Yes, mint is an ingredient in albondigas.
> >
> > Linda
> >

> I'm in Orange County. I do find it in a few of the restaurants here, I
> suppose if I ventured into Santa Ana more often I'd find it just about
> everywhere. I was more interested in finding out the origin and

background
> of the soup than actually finding it.
>
> Speaking of N County, a friend took me to a Mexican place near Escondido.

> forget exactly where it was but you'll probably recognize the description

of
> the location. It was a fairly large mall that seemed to have only
> restaurants in it, MANY restaurants! The place was kind of scruffy inside
> (some of the best places are, aren't they?) and the food was excellent.
>
> Alan

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Cuchulain Libby

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
> origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've

only
> found it at a few places here in S Calif.
>
> Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional? If

it
> is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?

I was reminiscing about albondigas soup recently.
I grew up in SoCal and had it all the time. Now I live in San Antonio and
don't see it. They also use regular tripe in the menudo here...

-Hound

Linda

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> > My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
> > origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've

> only
> > found it at a few places here in S Calif.
> >
> > Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional?

If
> it
> > is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?

> I was reminiscing about albondigas soup recently.
> I grew up in SoCal and had it all the time. Now I live in San Antonio and
> don't see it. They also use regular tripe in the menudo here...
>
> -Hound

San Antonio? That's Tex-Mex. Go a little further south, or maybe way south,
until you hit the valle del rio, McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville, should
find it there.
Also maybe if you look for some of those little hole in the wall
restaurants,
you might have better luck then in the big upscale places.

We use regular tripe in menudo, that and honeycomb tripe, which I prefer.

Linda

The Ranger

Linda > wrote in message
[snip]
> We use regular tripe in menudo, that and honeycomb tripe,
> which I prefer.

I took all three daughter-units to lunch with me the other day to a little
dive in Sunnyjail. As we waited in line, one of the line-cooks walked over
to us. I recognized him from my previous Real Life®, over a Life-Time-Ago,
so we stepped out of line and started jawing. During this excellent
conversation, Spawn reminded me that she was "Starving!" [I _never_ feed my
three human garbage disposals.] The cook excused himself and got three bowls
of soup. Daughter-unit Alpha immediately set to, slurping and noshing. Spawn
and Daughter-unit Beta were a little more careful; our last outing to a
Mexican restaurant netted them a super-spiced burrito and that experience
seemed foremost on their minds. Beta spooned through the soup and lifted out
a dangling chunk of something that she immediately doubted aloud was
digestible. It was tripe, and once I convinced her that it was indeed
edible, she and Spawn did nothing the rest of the day except talk about how
delicious and different [the texture] that soup was.

Now all I have to do is convince SWMBO that I should be allowed to make
tripe a regular menu item for us. Talk about a hard sell...

The Ranger

Cuchulain Libby

"Linda" > wrote
> We use regular tripe in menudo, that and honeycomb tripe, which I prefer.

Honeycomb tripe was all I saw in menudo around the South Bay, here none.
Which makes sense from a 'peasant' angle, I suppose.

-Hound

Alan Sandoval

> Where in S. Cal. do you live? I live in the Northern San Diego area and
> almost
> all of the Mexican restaurants I know of serve albondigas soup. I don't
> know the origin
> of the soup but it is quite common in Mexico. As for being regional, I

found
> it
> in Jalisco, Nayarit, Sonora and Baja.
>
> Yes, mint is an ingredient in albondigas.
>
> Linda

I'm in Orange County. I do find it in a few of the restaurants here, I
suppose if I ventured into Santa Ana more often I'd find it just about
everywhere. I was more interested in finding out the origin and background
of the soup than actually finding it.

Speaking of N County, a friend took me to a Mexican place near Escondido. I
forget exactly where it was but you'll probably recognize the description of
the location. It was a fairly large mall that seemed to have only
restaurants in it, MANY restaurants! The place was kind of scruffy inside
(some of the best places are, aren't they?) and the food was excellent.

Alan

Origin labelling James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 2 31-10-2008 02:50 PM
Does The Sloppy Joe Have An Origin? CRCoupons.com General Cooking 49 26-09-2005 03:25 PM
The origin of pizza Daniel Barbecue 6 24-01-2005 02:54 AM
Origin of the BLT (1944) Barry Popik Historic 0 30-05-2004 07:31 PM
Origin of the name snickerdoodle D. Jones Historic 0 30-03-2004 04:20 PM