Frogleg

Default making nixtamal from garden corn

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:11:17 GMT, Sonof Ravenson
> wrote:

>I let some ear's of corn (white kernal sweet corn) in my garden get
>too starchy and dry. I've cut the ears from the stalks, removed the
>husks and am now drying them on wire mesh in the sun. Don't know
>whether it qualifies as the "field corn" generally associated with
>making nixtamal for hominy and masa, but that's my plan for the
>kernals once they're dry. Any reason why it won't work...?

See:
http://gourmetsleuth.com/masa.htm

William Jennings

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:11:17 GMT, Sonof Ravenson
> > wrote:
>
> >I let some ear's of corn (white kernal sweet corn) in my garden get
> >too starchy and dry. I've cut the ears from the stalks, removed the
> >husks and am now drying them on wire mesh in the sun. Don't know
> >whether it qualifies as the "field corn" generally associated with
> >making nixtamal for hominy and masa, but that's my plan for the
> >kernals once they're dry. Any reason why it won't work...?

Here's some additional information on making nixtamal:

If you were truly to begin from scratch, you'd get some white corn grain
and set it to low boil in a covered pot with some slaked lime or
wood ashes. This process will loosen the "skins" (pericarp) of
the kernels, and you'd find most of these skins floating at the
top of the steep liquor next morning. Also, the alkaline solution
has the side effect of making bound niacin in the corn endosperm
soluble, and therefore available as a nutrient (this is important
to folks who depend on corn as their staple source of nutrients; in Mexico
annual per capita consumption of tortillas is about 410 lb., or as you can
see, a little over 1 lb. per day, and in rural areas it is estimated that
tortillas provide about 70% of the caloric intake). You would discard the
supernate and the steep liquor itself; then wash the remaining "naked"
kernels (consisting mostly of pure starch) and embryos ("germs," where
most of the oil is concentrated). However, if you wanted to avoid this
whole process and start from this point on, you could look for 'hominy' in
your local grocery store, since this is precisely what hominy is.

Next, you'd get hold of a grinding stone utensil (known in Mexico
as 'metate,') and you'd begin slaving over the corn grain with a pestle and
a jug of water by your side. In the course of grinding the grain
you're homogenizing and gelatinizing the starch, protein and germ,
and also somewhat dehydrating it; however, you must add water
continuously to make the resulting mixture pliable. When you are done,
you'll have a dough that you will work into small balls from which you'll
shape your tortillas.

BCBPROJXX

Hello,
A very large kernel corn (cacahuazintle) is normally used for making masa.
You will need to go through the "slaking" process as one of the other
readers explained (treat the corn with "cal"). Your yield will most likely
be quite small. The process is a lot of work, even if you use your food
processor for some of the grinding. It may not be worth the effort but if
you try you should gain a good appreciation for the work people go through
to make fresh masa by hand. Here is a link to a page that illustrates the
process: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/masa.htm
I'd love to hear back if you try it.

Regards,
Barbara