Frogleg

Default toasting/roasting pinons?

Got lots of raw in shell. Casual experimentation in spreading on
cookie sheet and roasting in low oven results in some raw and some
exploded. Is there any reliable method for prepping these critters?
Jack Schidt®

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> Got lots of raw in shell. Casual experimentation in spreading on
> cookie sheet and roasting in low oven results in some raw and some
> exploded. Is there any reliable method for prepping these critters?

I use a hot dry skillet and toss them as they 'toast'

Jack

Shelora

Aren't pinons, pinenuts? I have never known them to explode. I found
that toasting them in the oven gives an even browning. A pan can
produce burn marks. I have seen other people brown them on top of the
stove in a little oil - basically you are frying them, but you get an
even browning all over and you can always drain them after.
I've had pinenuts freshing toasted from the tree. We thrown a pine
cone on the fire and it opened up like a flower - inside were lovely
fresh pinenuts.
Ohh, glorious food.

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Frogleg" > wrote in message
> > Got lots of raw in shell. Casual experimentation in spreading on
> > cookie sheet and roasting in low oven results in some raw and some
> > exploded. Is there any reliable method for prepping these critters?

> I use a hot dry skillet and toss them as they 'toast'
>
> Jack

Jack Schidt®

"Shelora" > wrote in message
om...
> Aren't pinons, pinenuts? I have never known them to explode. I found
> that toasting them in the oven gives an even browning. A pan can
> produce burn marks. I have seen other people brown them on top of the
> stove in a little oil - basically you are frying them, but you get an
> even browning all over and you can always drain them after.
> I've had pinenuts freshing toasted from the tree. We thrown a pine
> cone on the fire and it opened up like a flower - inside were lovely
> fresh pinenuts.
> Ohh, glorious food.

You have to keep them moving in the skillet and no burn marks. I'll have to
try the oil idea next time.

Jack

Toasting Salt Sqwertz General Cooking 8 06-04-2008 09:47 AM
Toasting Salt Sqwertz Asian Cooking 4 05-04-2008 04:51 AM
Toasting Bob modom (palindrome guy) General Cooking 4 08-04-2007 04:02 AM
Oak Chip Toasting Monte Winemaking 11 03-03-2005 05:57 PM
Roasting pinons? Frogleg Mexican Cooking 17 03-05-2004 10:14 AM