FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Can you freeze guacamole? (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14109-re-can-you-freeze.html)

Frogleg 12-10-2003 08:16 PM

Can you freeze guacamole?

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:35:28 -0500, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote

>> "Allen Lydick" > wrote:
>>
>> >Most guacamole is sold frozen.

>> Most guacamole is made fresh.
>>
>> I had occasion to freeze gaucamole since this thread started. All the
>> chunks lost their texture, bascially I ended up with a puree. Not
>> real gucamole anymore, IMHO.

>Guacamole that has been frozen and thawed is no longer guacamole , but
>sometimes it's not bad " avocado dip."

Still, it's not something to take to a party unless the competition is
Lipton onion soup dip and 'cocktail' sausage in BBQ sauce. Avocado
doesn't take kindly to freezing at any stage.

Wayne Lundberg 13-10-2003 08:07 PM

Can you freeze guacamole?

In all honesty I have not seen frozen guacamole in any of my local stores. I
do see refrigerated, de-oxydated packaged guacamole. The trick is to keep it
cool and without contact with the air. There is a plant in Tijuana that
receives the best avocados from the interior of Mexico, then take the pit
and outside skin and pull a hard vacuum and chill the package for transport
to the aguacate processor in LA - Felix - who then keep it cool and deliver
to markets throughout California. Good stuff! Never frozen. Vacuum packed
and chilled will keep for about a week.

Wayne

BCBPROJXX 15-10-2003 02:54 AM

Can you freeze guacamole?

Hello,
Actually you can freeze it depending on what you've added to the avocados.
I would not store it for more than a month or two.

Barbara
GourmetSleuth.com http://www.gourmetsleuth.com
The gourmet food and cooking resource

Paull 20-10-2003 03:02 AM

Can you freeze guacamole?

I've seen frozoen guacamole on our local Walmart all the time.
No telling what's in it...

TPhil 02-11-2003 04:09 AM

Can you freeze guacamole?

There's a very good frozen guac. sold in Sam's Club made by Delimex. It's as
about authentic as you can get in a frozen format.

Much better than the Avo-King or other's you see in the grocery store.

Linda 02-11-2003 06:54 PM

Can you freeze guacamole?

Yes, I've bought that guacamole at Sam's and it is very good.

Linda
(back from R&R)