A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Birria

Birria

4 Guajillo chiles
4 Ancho chiles
1 cup hot water
1 lb. top round steak, cubed for stew
1 lb. baby back ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 1/2 qt. water
1 onion, quartered
6 cloves garlic
2 fresh bay leaves
6 springs thyme
1 Tbls. ground cumin
1 Tbls. Mexican oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste

Garnish:
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 limes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

On hot griddle toast the Ancho and Gaujillo chile and submerge in hot
water.
Let chiles sit for 20 minutes.
Remove from water and puree in blender with a cup of warm water.
Set aside.
In a deep Dutch oven add the beef and ribs, water, onion, garlic cloves.
Bring to boil and cook for 1 hour.
Add the bay leaves, thyme, chile puree, cumin, oregano and salt/pepper;
simmer for 30 minutes.

Sauce:
Puree the garlic, vinegar and chile powder in a blender.

Serve the stew in a nice bowl with a sprinkle of onion and cilantro and a
squeeze of lime on top.
Serve with corn tortillas and some of the sauce on the side.

--
William Barfieldsr

Wayne Lundberg

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
.. .
> ---snip---

To add a bit of color to Barfield's recipe, birria is a very traditional
breakfast or morning snack for working people in Mexico. It had it's origins
in the slaughterhouse just south of downtown Guadalajara where today you get
the best birria in the world from the 'estanquillos' small restaurants that
line the Western side of the rastro. Within this neighborhood you will find
several worl-known birria restaurants. Now, as you take a break from your
maquiladora in Tijuana, you will find the two-wheeled tented vendor kitchen
within a block or two of wherever you have your plant. They are everywhere!
You order one or two tacos at a time while leaning forward to eat so as to
not spill the juice on your clothing. Or you order a cup of the juice, the
soup, with or without meat, and garnish it with finely diced onions,
cilantro, chile sauce, raddishes, chile de arbol, a squeeze of the little
Mexican limes, a dash of salt....

Over the past twenty years birria and tacos al pastor (the pyramid of meat
slowly being broiled and sliced thin to make tacos) have proliferated
throughout Mexican's working class like wildfire. Some taco shops have
opened in the hightest class neighborhood such as Polanco, where you pass
through security checkpoint after checkpoint to park in a secure parking
spot for you to enter the taco stand in safety. The prices are ten times
higher than on the street - but that is a reflection of the popularity of
these two taco fillings.

A lot of birria is made with kid and a lot with mutton; but mostly it's
pieces of beef that don't sell well in the regular markets. It all started
as a way to use up the salvaged meat as the butchers chopped away at the
main cuts. Instead of tossing the pieces to the dogs, they gave them to
people willing to cook up a spicy dish and serve as a snack during that
midmorning break called almuerzo. That has changes and quality meat is used
almost exclusively in most places.

Wayne, and my favorite birria vendor is behind the Gigante store in Parque
Industrial Las Brisas, about a half a mile East of the Cinco y Dies.

A1 WBarfieldsr

Thanks, you silver toughed devil you. You DID add the right color to the
recipe.

--
William Barfieldsr
"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > ---snip---

> To add a bit of color to Barfield's recipe, birria is a very traditional
> breakfast or morning snack for working people in Mexico. It had it's

origins
> in the slaughterhouse just south of downtown Guadalajara where today you

get
> the best birria in the world from the 'estanquillos' small restaurants

that
> line the Western side of the rastro. Within this neighborhood you will

find
> several worl-known birria restaurants. Now, as you take a break from your
> maquiladora in Tijuana, you will find the two-wheeled tented vendor

kitchen
> within a block or two of wherever you have your plant. They are

everywhere!
> You order one or two tacos at a time while leaning forward to eat so as

> not spill the juice on your clothing. Or you order a cup of the juice,

the
> soup, with or without meat, and garnish it with finely diced onions,
> cilantro, chile sauce, raddishes, chile de arbol, a squeeze of the little
> Mexican limes, a dash of salt....
>
> Over the past twenty years birria and tacos al pastor (the pyramid of

meat
> slowly being broiled and sliced thin to make tacos) have proliferated
> throughout Mexican's working class like wildfire. Some taco shops have
> opened in the hightest class neighborhood such as Polanco, where you pass
> through security checkpoint after checkpoint to park in a secure parking
> spot for you to enter the taco stand in safety. The prices are ten times
> higher than on the street - but that is a reflection of the popularity of
> these two taco fillings.
>
> A lot of birria is made with kid and a lot with mutton; but mostly it's
> pieces of beef that don't sell well in the regular markets. It all

started
> as a way to use up the salvaged meat as the butchers chopped away at the
> main cuts. Instead of tossing the pieces to the dogs, they gave them to
> people willing to cook up a spicy dish and serve as a snack during that
> midmorning break called almuerzo. That has changes and quality meat is

used
> almost exclusively in most places.
>
> Wayne, and my favorite birria vendor is behind the Gigante store in

Parque
> Industrial Las Brisas, about a half a mile East of the Cinco y Dies.

Wayne Lundberg

I would love to patent birria and huevos rancheros for US consumers! We'd
make a killing.

> [...]

> > higher than on the street - but that is a reflection of the popularity

of
> > these two taco fillings.
> >
> > A lot of birria is made with kid and a lot with mutton; but mostly it's
> > pieces of beef that don't sell well in the regular markets. It all

> started
> > as a way to use up the salvaged meat as the butchers chopped away at the
> > main cuts. Instead of tossing the pieces to the dogs, they gave them to
> > people willing to cook up a spicy dish and serve as a snack during that
> > midmorning break called almuerzo. That has changes and quality meat is

> used
> > almost exclusively in most places.
> >
> > Wayne, and my favorite birria vendor is behind the Gigante store in

> Parque
> > Industrial Las Brisas, about a half a mile East of the Cinco y Dies.

Linda

Have you ever been to Birria Guadalajara in Tijuana?
They make birria to die for. I can't remember the name of the street but I
am going to TJ next week and I'll get the
addy..

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > ---snip---

> To add a bit of color to Barfield's recipe, birria is a very traditional
> breakfast or morning snack for working people in Mexico. It had it's

origins
> in the slaughterhouse just south of downtown Guadalajara where today you

get
> the best birria in the world from the 'estanquillos' small restaurants

that
> line the Western side of the rastro. Within this neighborhood you will

find
> several worl-known birria restaurants. Now, as you take a break from your
> maquiladora in Tijuana, you will find the two-wheeled tented vendor

kitchen
> within a block or two of wherever you have your plant. They are

everywhere!
> You order one or two tacos at a time while leaning forward to eat so as to
> not spill the juice on your clothing. Or you order a cup of the juice, the
> soup, with or without meat, and garnish it with finely diced onions,
> cilantro, chile sauce, raddishes, chile de arbol, a squeeze of the little
> Mexican limes, a dash of salt....
>
> Over the past twenty years birria and tacos al pastor (the pyramid of meat
> slowly being broiled and sliced thin to make tacos) have proliferated
> throughout Mexican's working class like wildfire. Some taco shops have
> opened in the hightest class neighborhood such as Polanco, where you pass
> through security checkpoint after checkpoint to park in a secure parking
> spot for you to enter the taco stand in safety. The prices are ten times
> higher than on the street - but that is a reflection of the popularity of
> these two taco fillings.
>
> A lot of birria is made with kid and a lot with mutton; but mostly it's
> pieces of beef that don't sell well in the regular markets. It all started
> as a way to use up the salvaged meat as the butchers chopped away at the
> main cuts. Instead of tossing the pieces to the dogs, they gave them to
> people willing to cook up a spicy dish and serve as a snack during that
> midmorning break called almuerzo. That has changes and quality meat is

used
> almost exclusively in most places.
>
> Wayne, and my favorite birria vendor is behind the Gigante store in Parque
> Industrial Las Brisas, about a half a mile East of the Cinco y Dies.

Linda

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> I would love to patent birria and huevos rancheros for US consumers! We'd
> make a killing.

Yes, but it couldn't be canned. Once it's canned it's not authentic.

Linda

[...]

Wayne Lundberg

I'll be looking forward to your address... I've heard of it from a
participant on the alt.mexico forum. I think it's one street west of
Revolucion...

Wayne

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Have you ever been to Birria Guadalajara in Tijuana?
> They make birria to die for. I can't remember the name of the street but

> am going to TJ next week and I'll get the
> addy..
>

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > ---snip---

> > To add a bit of color to Barfield's recipe, birria is a very traditional
> > breakfast or morning snack for working people in Mexico. It had it's

> origins
> > in the slaughterhouse just south of downtown Guadalajara where today you

> get
> > the best birria in the world from the 'estanquillos' small restaurants

> that
> > line the Western side of the rastro. Within this neighborhood you will

> find
> > several worl-known birria restaurants. Now, as you take a break from

your
> > maquiladora in Tijuana, you will find the two-wheeled tented vendor

> kitchen
> > within a block or two of wherever you have your plant. They are

> everywhere!
> > You order one or two tacos at a time while leaning forward to eat so as

> > not spill the juice on your clothing. Or you order a cup of the juice,

the
> > soup, with or without meat, and garnish it with finely diced onions,
> > cilantro, chile sauce, raddishes, chile de arbol, a squeeze of the

little
> > Mexican limes, a dash of salt....
> >
> > Over the past twenty years birria and tacos al pastor (the pyramid of

meat
> > slowly being broiled and sliced thin to make tacos) have proliferated
> > throughout Mexican's working class like wildfire. Some taco shops have
> > opened in the hightest class neighborhood such as Polanco, where you

pass
> > through security checkpoint after checkpoint to park in a secure parking
> > spot for you to enter the taco stand in safety. The prices are ten times
> > higher than on the street - but that is a reflection of the popularity

of
> > these two taco fillings.
> >
> > A lot of birria is made with kid and a lot with mutton; but mostly it's
> > pieces of beef that don't sell well in the regular markets. It all

started
> > as a way to use up the salvaged meat as the butchers chopped away at the
> > main cuts. Instead of tossing the pieces to the dogs, they gave them to
> > people willing to cook up a spicy dish and serve as a snack during that
> > midmorning break called almuerzo. That has changes and quality meat is

> used
> > almost exclusively in most places.
> >
> > Wayne, and my favorite birria vendor is behind the Gigante store in

Parque
> > Industrial Las Brisas, about a half a mile East of the Cinco y Dies.

Wayne Lundberg

We are waiting.....

and waiting....

Wayne

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Have you ever been to Birria Guadalajara in Tijuana?
> They make birria to die for. I can't remember the name of the street but

> am going to TJ next week and I'll get the
> addy..
>

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > ---snip---

> > To add a bit of color to Barfield's recipe, birria is a very traditional
> > breakfast or morning snack for working people in Mexico. It had it's

> origins
> > in the slaughterhouse just south of downtown Guadalajara where today you

> get
> > the best birria in the world from the 'estanquillos' small restaurants

> that
> > line the Western side of the rastro. Within this neighborhood you will

> find
> > several worl-known birria restaurants. Now, as you take a break from

your
> > maquiladora in Tijuana, you will find the two-wheeled tented vendor

> kitchen
> > within a block or two of wherever you have your plant. They are

> everywhere!
> > You order one or two tacos at a time while leaning forward to eat so as

> > not spill the juice on your clothing. Or you order a cup of the juice,

the
> > soup, with or without meat, and garnish it with finely diced onions,
> > cilantro, chile sauce, raddishes, chile de arbol, a squeeze of the

little
> > Mexican limes, a dash of salt....
> >
> > Over the past twenty years birria and tacos al pastor (the pyramid of

meat
> > slowly being broiled and sliced thin to make tacos) have proliferated
> > throughout Mexican's working class like wildfire. Some taco shops have
> > opened in the hightest class neighborhood such as Polanco, where you

pass
> > through security checkpoint after checkpoint to park in a secure parking
> > spot for you to enter the taco stand in safety. The prices are ten times
> > higher than on the street - but that is a reflection of the popularity

of
> > these two taco fillings.
> >
> > A lot of birria is made with kid and a lot with mutton; but mostly it's
> > pieces of beef that don't sell well in the regular markets. It all

started
> > as a way to use up the salvaged meat as the butchers chopped away at the
> > main cuts. Instead of tossing the pieces to the dogs, they gave them to
> > people willing to cook up a spicy dish and serve as a snack during that
> > midmorning break called almuerzo. That has changes and quality meat is

> used
> > almost exclusively in most places.
> >
> > Wayne, and my favorite birria vendor is behind the Gigante store in

Parque
> > Industrial Las Brisas, about a half a mile East of the Cinco y Dies.

Linda

I am going Sat, the 18th...sooooon.

Birria recipe? Johnny Mexican Cooking 3 22-10-2009 09:49 PM
Birria (Goat) Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 09-03-2006 05:26 AM
Birria (Goat) MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 27-02-2006 11:46 AM
New take on my Birria question Paul Covey Mexican Cooking 1 28-03-2005 04:38 AM
Birria question Dimitri Mexican Cooking 3 26-03-2005 10:54 PM