FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Recipe Req...Flan (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14084-recipe-req-flan.html)

Jacquie 07-10-2003 10:36 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Hi,
I'm a Lurker here :) My Daughter In-Law was born in Mexico and came to Az as
a child. She still visits relatives in Mexico often. She loves Flans...but
has not been able to find a restaurant here that makes an authentic
one...she says...(since I have never had flan) I was wondering if anybody
has a good recipe for flan...I would like to make one for her the next time
they visits.
Thanks
jacquie

Douglas S. Ladden 07-10-2003 10:45 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Jacquie"
> shared its ideas in
alt.food.mexican-cooking on Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:36:40 GMT:

> Hi,
> I'm a Lurker here :) My Daughter In-Law was born in Mexico and came
> to Az as a child. She still visits relatives in Mexico often. She
> loves Flans...but has not been able to find a restaurant here that
> makes an authentic one...she says...(since I have never had flan) I
> was wondering if anybody has a good recipe for flan...I would like to
> make one for her the next time they visits.
> Thanks
> jacquie

You might want to try the recipe found at this location:
http://www.mex-recipes.com/flan-recipes.html. It also provides links to a
few other recipes if you don't like that one. But it seems to be pretty
close to what I remember as an authentic flan recipe. Enjoy!

--Douglas

Jacquie 07-10-2003 10:49 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Thanks Douglas:)

A1 WBarfieldsr 07-10-2003 11:00 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
. 16...
> The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Jacquie"
> > shared its ideas in
> alt.food.mexican-cooking on Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:36:40 GMT:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm a Lurker here :) My Daughter In-Law was born in Mexico and came
> > to Az as a child. She still visits relatives in Mexico often. She
> > loves Flans...but has not been able to find a restaurant here that
> > makes an authentic one...she says...(since I have never had flan) I
> > was wondering if anybody has a good recipe for flan...I would like to
> > make one for her the next time they visits.
> > Thanks
> > jacquie
> >

> You might want to try the recipe found at this location:
> http://www.mex-recipes.com/flan-recipes.html. It also provides links to

> few other recipes if you don't like that one. But it seems to be pretty
> close to what I remember as an authentic flan recipe. Enjoy!
>
> --Douglas

Douglas, here is another Authentic Mexican recipe from that same site.

Vermicelli Pasta Recipe

This is such an easy pasta recipe to make. A great substitute for Mexican
rice or potatoes. Will compliment most chicken, beef, pork, or fish
recipes.

Directions for Mexican Pasta Recipe:
In blender 1 cup of chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of water, 1 clove of garlic,
1/2 teaspoon of cumin (optional).

For the Vermicelli we will start off like making Mexican rice, heat in
skillet two or 3 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 pound of Vermicelli, need to break
it up a little. We need to slowly cook turning often to keep from burning.
We just want to toast to a golden brown stage.

Now that we have the Vermicelli toasted, pour ingredients from blender
bring to a boil, turn down heat to low simmer till tender, about five
minutes or less. If it is to dry add a little water, this you will learn to
adjust thru trial and error.

What to do with left over Vermicelli lets make Mexican Frittata

If you want a pasta recipe this site has it all.
http://www.ilovepasta.org/recipes.html

Have a Mexican pasta recipe that you would like to share. To
Pepper@Mex-recipes. We will put it on the world wide web for you.

Home for Mexican Pasta Recipe

Dimitri 07-10-2003 11:48 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Hi,
> I'm a Lurker here :) My Daughter In-Law was born in Mexico and came to Az

as
> a child. She still visits relatives in Mexico often. She loves Flans...but
> has not been able to find a restaurant here that makes an authentic
> one...she says...(since I have never had flan) I was wondering if anybody
> has a good recipe for flan...I would like to make one for her the next

time
> they visits.
> Thanks
> jacquie

If you read Spanish then go he

http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/cocinamex.html or ask your daughter-in-law to
do so for you.

Dimitri

Jacquie 08-10-2003 12:56 AM

Recipe Req...Flan

I don't understand much Spanish...and I want to surprise my DIL...so I can't
ask her...I can use a translator tho:)
Thanks

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

nk.net...

Dimitri 08-10-2003 03:46 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I don't understand much Spanish...and I want to surprise my DIL...so I

can't
> ask her...I can use a translator tho:)
> Thanks
>

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > Hi,
> > I'm a Lurker here :) My Daughter In-Law was born in Mexico and came to

Az
> as
> > a child. She still visits relatives in Mexico often. She loves

Flans...but
> > has not been able to find a restaurant here that makes an authentic
> > one...she says...(since I have never had flan) I was wondering if

anybody
> > has a good recipe for flan...I would like to make one for her the next

> time
> > they visits.
> > Thanks
> > jacquie

> If you read Spanish then go he
>
> http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/cocinamex.html or ask your daughter-in-law to
> do so for you.
>

> Dimitri

You are very welcome.

One of the flan "tricks" is to add cinnamon and other spices to the
caramelizing sugar. Remember as the custard cooks (sets) the sugar forms a
sauce so that when the baking dish is inverted the sauce pours over the
flan.

Great stuff.

Dimitri

Linda 08-10-2003 05:57 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

You must mean "sopa de fideos", right?

Linda

Linda 08-10-2003 06:08 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Here is a recipe for flan that I have made several times.

1/2 cup sugar
2 T. water
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Choose a one qt. mold with a smooth inside surface or use 6 individual
molds.

To carmelize the mold in a small saucepan, over high heat, boil 1/2
cup sugar with 2 T. water. When golden, pour into a mold, turning quickly in
all directions to coat the bottom.

In a blender put milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt and blend 3 min. on
med. speed.
Pour into the mold, place the mold in a larger pan, Pour warm water into the
larger pan halfway up the sides of the mold.

Bake at 325 degrees in a pre heated oven for about 1 hour. Check
occasionally during baking
to make sure it does not boil. If it does reduce oven slightly but not
below 300 degrees.

Test for doneness by inserting a kitchen knife halfway down the custard. If
the knife comes out clean it's done.
Cool 1 hour and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Linda

nk.net...

Jacquie 08-10-2003 06:13 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Thank You Linda:)

Jacquie 08-10-2003 06:13 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Thanks Dimitri:)

Wayne Lundberg 08-10-2003 08:54 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Which really has a lot to do with flan!!!!

Wayne Lundberg 08-10-2003 09:23 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Here is a recipe for flan that I have made several

---snip---

I just put my first batch of Linda's flan into the oven. I was looking for
the perfect desert for what I'm serving my family tonight: White fried rice
with fried bananas, black beans and salsas on the side. Flan to top it all
off!

Am watching the oven, Linda, making sure there is no boiling.

Wayne

Linda 08-10-2003 09:42 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

I'm hungry!!!
BTW, the very first time I ever made flan I burnt the carmelized coating!!
(my very first flour tortillas came out as crispy
as saltine crackers...but we won't go there)

Ha ha!

Linda

dave 08-10-2003 10:14 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:48:02 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Jacquie" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>> Hi,
>> I'm a Lurker here :) My Daughter In-Law was born in Mexico and came to Az

>as
>> a child. She still visits relatives in Mexico often. She loves Flans...but
>> has not been able to find a restaurant here that makes an authentic
>> one...she says...(since I have never had flan) I was wondering if anybody
>> has a good recipe for flan...I would like to make one for her the next

>time
>> they visits.
>> Thanks
>> jacquie

>If you read Spanish then go he
>
>http://cocinamexicana.com.mx/cocinamex.html or ask your daughter-in-law to
>do so for you.
>

>Dimitri

roughly translated
from above website

corrections welcome

FLAN
(6 servings)
Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups (310 gr) sugar)
4 cups (1 lt.) of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
one pinch of salt
4 eggs
3 egg yolks
½ teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon of cold water.

Procedu
To preheat oven to 180°C (350° F).

Put ¾ of cup (185 grs.) of the sugar in heavy frying pan over medium
heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and turns a golden
color.

Pour carmelized sugar in a 1 ½ lt./qt flan mold. Turn the mold so that
the caramel covers the walls too.

Pour milk, ½ cup (125 grs.) of sugar, vanilla and the salt into a
saucepan. Heat to boiling. Lower the heat and to leave simmer,
uncovered, for 10 minutes or until milk is reduced to half. Remove
from heat and cover.

Slightly beat eggs and the yolks in a large bowl. Add the cornstarch
dissolved in the cold water. Add hot milk slowly to eggs stirring to
incorporate. Strain the mixture to removed solids into carmel coated
flan mold.

cover filled mold with foil and place inside another baking pan. Fill
pan 2-3cm or 1 inch deep with boiling water (water bath). Bake between
35 and 40 minutes or until when putting a knife in the center leaves
clean.

Cool for 30 minutes at room temperature. Chill, preferably overnight.
Cut in slices in the mold, and serve.

Note: If the caramel has become hardened in the mold, place it in a
container with hot water so that it softens.

Jim Lane 08-10-2003 10:50 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> Which really has a lot to do with flan!!!!

The more A1 posts, the more ignorant he appears. Interesting he doesn't
mind putting that idiocy on public display. Maybe he has an attention
deficit disorder and cannot stay on topic.

Whoops, to stay on topic about Flan, I can remember this dessert from a
long time ago. It is one of my favorites and I'll try to find my
mother's recipe and put it up.

When I was in school and had a final cultural presentation to make, she
prepared forty individual flans for the class to sample (with a few
extras for the professor, natch, and me!). Got an "A" in that class. The
flan insured it.

jim

Jacquie 08-10-2003 11:38 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Thanks Dave...You guys have been so helpful:)
jacquie

Wayne Lundberg 08-10-2003 11:49 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

"Linda" > wrote in message
> I'm hungry!!!
> BTW, the very first time I ever made flan I burnt the .

---snip---

I just took the batch from the oven after having the door open for an hour,
and now into the fridge. I notice in the one glass container that there are
three merging layers, the caramelized, then a kind of unbubbly yellowish
flan, then foamy flan on top which is typical of using the blender. I may
not have blended for a full three minutes. Obviously, it must be three
minutes - so I'm learning.

My wife just came home from work and I told her what we're having and she is
a very happy camper!

Cheers!

Wayne

Wayne Lundberg 09-10-2003 07:14 PM

Recipe Req...Flan

Linda and group! I have tested Linda's flan on the most demanding taste buds
I know of... my wife. She loved it, truly and sincerely loved it. Said it at
the top of the list when it comes to flan. And she knows!

Thanks Linda!

Wayne

Linda 09-10-2003 07:23 PM

Recipe Req...Flan