Douglas S. Ladden

Default How to use prickly pears?

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as Steve Wertz
> shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-
cooking on Sat, 04 Oct 2003 04:56:23 GMT:

> Large green prickly pears are 6/$1 here in central TX this week. I
> bought a couple just so I could come begging here for ideas on how to
> use them.

There are a few sites you might want to check out. These first
few have a few recipes for prickly pears:
http://www.desertusa.com/magoct97/oct_pear.html,
http://cdkitchen.com/rfr/data/1002645290.shtml and
http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/pubs/broc...icklypear.html.

This next one may well be more than you ever wanted to know about
them: http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/pubs/broc...icklypear.html.

> They're awfully seedy inside, and left kind of a bitter/dry
> aftertaste on the lips and tongue, though very sweet and not unlike...
> pear, ironically.

I love water made from them, but I couldn't tell you how it's
made. I'll have to pay better attention the next time I'm in Mexico,
and they make/serve me some.

> Also, what are the differeces between the green and the slightly
> smaller purple ones? The green ones never seem to darken after being
> picked.

I think they may actually be different varieties, but I think the
last website I gave you as a reference explains it all. Enjoy!

--Douglas

Removing hairs from prickly pears spamtrap1888 General Cooking 7 04-01-2012 03:16 PM
Bunge Prickly Ash? ggull Asian Cooking 5 29-03-2005 03:32 PM
Bunge Prickly Ash? ggull Asian Cooking 0 27-03-2005 05:45 AM
prickly merlot? Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 2 28-12-2003 05:39 AM