fishman99

Default holiday cooking

i love the way my mother cooked, she use to make little empanadas of
pumpkin and a cookie called biscoshos? an anise flavored cookie. any
help with these recipies will be helpful. thank you all.

Jim Weller

fishman99 > wrote

> i love the way my mother cooked, she use to make little empanadas of
> pumpkin and a cookie called biscoshos? an anise flavored cookie. any
> help with these recipies will be helpful. thank you all.

Here's what you're looking for....

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Biscochitos- a Cut Out Sugar Cookie
Categories: Mexican, Cookies
Yield: 48 servings

1 c Sugar
1 c Margarine or butter
3 tb Sweet sherry
1 Egg
3 c Flour
2 ts Baking powder
2 ts Anise seed crushed or
1 ts Anise oil or flavoring
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 c Sugar
1 ts Cinnamon

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugar and margarine, sherry and egg in a
large bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the 1/4 cup sugar
and the cinnamon. Divide dough into two balls. Roll out each ball to
1/4 inch thick and cut into any shape with cookie cutters. Place on
ungreased sheet. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on
the cookies before baking. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden.

These cookies are cute made into a cactus shape. Pinch off balls of
dough, one larger than a quarter and 2 the size of a nickel. Roll each
of the balls between your palms to make cigar shape. Flatten the large
one to make the main stem of the cactus. Bend one third of each of the
two smaller ones to make a J shape and attach them at uneven intervals
on each side to make the "arms". Flatten them to match the trunk and
bake.

Let you daughter taste the anise first. Often children do not like it
as much as adults. If your daughter does not like the anise flavor
simply substitute cinnamon oil or flavoring. It is very popular in
Mexico.

Nancy Lee Collins at wisc.edu

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Biscochitos
Categories: Mexican, Cookies
Yield: 4 dozen

3 c All-purpose flour
2 ts Anise seed
1/2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
1 c Shortening or butter
3/4 c Sugar, divided
1 Egg
1/4 c Orange juice
2 ts Ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine flour, anise seed, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl; set
aside. Beat shortening in large bowl of electric mixer on medium
speed until creamy. And 1/2 cup sugar; beat until fluffy. Blend in
egg. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with orange juice, mixing
well after each addition.

Divide dough in half; roll out one portion at a time on lightly
floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness; cover remaining dough to
prevent drying. Cut out cookies with fancy cookie cutters 2 to 2 1/2
inches in diameter. While cutting cookies, add scraps to remaining
dough. If dough becomes too soft to handle, refrigerate briefly.

Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. To prepare
cinnamon topping, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon;
lightly sprinkle over cookies.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on
racks, then store in airtight container.

From "Favorite Brand Name Cookie Collection"

The Polka Dot Palace BBS
From: Lisa Clarke

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Biscochuelos (Mexican Holiday Cookies)
Categories: Mexican, Cookies
Yield: 72 Servings

3 c Shortening
1 1/2 c Sugar
6 ts Anise seed
1 ts Anise extract
1 ts Salt
3 Egg; beaten
5 c Flour

Cream sugar and shortening. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Mix seed and
extract together and combine with dry ingredients. Add to creamed
shortening and sugar. Mix well into dough. Roll between hands into 3
inch strips and shape into small pretzel forms or tiny doughnuts. Bake
15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Will make about 6 dozen.

Recipe by: Lisa Dixon

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Biscochos - 2
Categories: Mexican, Cookies
Yield: 724 Servings

2 c Soft shortening
1/2 c Granulated sugar
1 ts Salt
1 tb Anise
1/2 ts Ground cloves
5 c Flour
1 c Wine
Cinnamon
Sugar

Combine shortening with sugar; add salt, anise & cloves. Slowly add
this to flour, together with wine to form dough. Continue adding flour
until dough does not stick to hands. Roll out about 1/8-inch thick &
cut into squares. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 on cookie sheets. Remove
from oven & roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture while hot.

MRS JERRY W. (GAYLE) FELDER
From the <The Bliss of Cooking Returns>,
Fort Bliss Officers Wives Club, Ft. Bliss, TX.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Pumpkin Empanadas (Jacqueline Higuera Mcmahan)
Categories: Mexican, Desserts, Pastry, Pies, Nuts
Yield: 15 servings

2 c Unbleached white flour
2 tb Sugar
2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Shortening
1/4 c Cold sweet butter
1 tb Brandy
3 tb Milk
16 oz Canned pumpkin puree
3/4 c Brown sugar
2 ts Cinnamon, or 2 teaspoons
-minced wild anise leaves
1/4 ts Freshly grated nutmeg
1 Egg
2 ts Pure vanilla
1 Egg beaten with 1 tablespoon
-water for glaze
2 tb Sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon
-cinnamon

Sift together first 4 ingredients. Cut in the shortening and butter
using a pastry blender or 2 knives. The mixture should resemble coarse
meal.

Combine brandy and milk, and drizzle over flour mixture, stirring with
a fork to distribute. Do not over-blend.

Form into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

To make the filling, blend together the pumpkin, brown sugar, spices,
egg and vanilla.

When dough is chilled, roll out thinly on a floured board or pastry
cloth. Cut into 4- or 5-inch circles. Place about 2 table- spoons
pumpkin filling on the lower half of each dough circle. Fold over top
half. Press the edges together with a fork. Brush tops with egg wash
and place on a baking sheet. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden.

While still warm, sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. These may be baked
1 day ahead. Before serving, warm in a 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

San Francisco Chronicle, 11/14/90.

Posted by Stephen Ceideburg

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Pumpkin Empanadas - Sl 10/82
Categories: Desserts, Mexican, Fruits, S/l, Pastry
Yield: 18 servings

16 oz Can pumpkin
3/4 c Sugar
1 ts Ground allspice
4 c All-purpose flour
1/2 c Sugar
1 tb Plus 1 tspn baking powder
1 ts Salt
1 1/3 c Shortening
1 c Milk
Milk (yes, it's correct)
1 Egg white; beaten
1/4 c Sugar
1/2 ts Ground cinnamon

Combine pumpkin, 3/4 cup sugar, and allspice; stir well, and set
aside.

Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar. baking powder, and salt; cut in
shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Sprinkle 1 cup milk evenly over surface; stir with a fork until all
dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball; chill. Roll out to
1/8th-inch thickness; cut into 4-inch circles.

Place about 1 tablespoon pumpkin mixture in center of each circle.
Moisten edges with additional milk; fold in half, and press edges
together with a fork. Brush empanadas with egg white; place on
ungreased baking sheets, and bake at 450 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes
or until golden. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over
empanadas while still warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.

From Mrs. Mack C. Ivy of Texas in October, 1982 "Southern Living"
Typos by Jeff Pruett

MMMMM

Cheers,

Jim Weller
Yellowknife, NWT
Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as
(Jim Weller) shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on Fri, 03 Oct
2003 06:00:22 GMT:

> fishman99 > wrote
>
>> i love the way my mother cooked, she use to make little empanadas of
>> pumpkin and a cookie called biscoshos? an anise flavored cookie. any
>> help with these recipies will be helpful. thank you all.

> Here's what you're looking for....

No!!! Okay, maybe the Biscocho recipes were OK, but you can't
have real Pumpkin Empanadas starting with canned pumpkin. Ugh! Please
enjoy the recipe I've provided.

--Douglas

The following recipe from cooks.com sounds far closer to the real thing:

PUMPKIN EMPANADAS

EMPANADA DOUGH:

6 c. sifted flour
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. shortening

Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add shortening and mix again.

ANISE TEA:

2-3 tbsp. anise seed
2 c. water

Boil. Add anise tea gradually to dough. Work to dough until well enough
to roll out. Makes 3" to 3" balls and roll out into a 5" diameter
tortilla. Add pumpkin mix in middle and fold in half.

PUMPKIN MIX:

2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 med. pumpkin

Cut pumpkin into pieces and place in pan and boil until pieces are
tender. When cool, remove pumpkin from peeling with spoon and place in
pan. Add sugar, ground cinnamon and boil until a little thick. After
placing pumpkin mix in middle of tortilla and folding it in half, press
together with finger, then fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30
minutes or until brown on top. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.

fishman99

thank you douglas, they should be mighty tasty, halloween here we come!

Douglas S. Ladden wrote:
> The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as
> (Jim Weller) shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on Fri, 03 Oct
> 2003 06:00:22 GMT:
>

>>fishman99 > wrote
>>

>>>i love the way my mother cooked, she use to make little empanadas of
>>>pumpkin and a cookie called biscoshos? an anise flavored cookie. any
>>>help with these recipies will be helpful. thank you all.

>>Here's what you're looking for....
>>

> No!!! Okay, maybe the Biscocho recipes were OK, but you can't
> have real Pumpkin Empanadas starting with canned pumpkin. Ugh! Please
> enjoy the recipe I've provided.
>
> --Douglas
>

> The following recipe from cooks.com sounds far closer to the real thing:
>
> PUMPKIN EMPANADAS
>
> EMPANADA DOUGH:
>
> 6 c. sifted flour
> 1 c. sugar
> 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
> 1 c. shortening
>
> Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add shortening and mix again.
>
> ANISE TEA:
>
> 2-3 tbsp. anise seed
> 2 c. water
>
> Boil. Add anise tea gradually to dough. Work to dough until well enough
> to roll out. Makes 3" to 3" balls and roll out into a 5" diameter
> tortilla. Add pumpkin mix in middle and fold in half.
>
> PUMPKIN MIX:
>
> 2 c. sugar
> 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
> 1 med. pumpkin
>
> Cut pumpkin into pieces and place in pan and boil until pieces are
> tender. When cool, remove pumpkin from peeling with spoon and place in
> pan. Add sugar, ground cinnamon and boil until a little thick. After
> placing pumpkin mix in middle of tortilla and folding it in half, press
> together with finger, then fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30
> minutes or until brown on top. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.

Jim Weller

Douglas S. Ladden wrote:

> No!!! Okay, maybe the Biscocho recipes were OK, but you can't
> have real Pumpkin Empanadas starting with canned pumpkin. Ugh!

Both recipes were American in origin. Canned is an expedient. (shrug)

> Please enjoy the recipe I've provided.

Looks good.

Cheers

Jim in Yellowknife