Mexican Cooking (alt.food.mexican-cooking) A newsgroup created for the discussion and sharing of mexican food and recipes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2007, 06:27 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

Was in L.A. last weekend and we got a French Dip type sandwich from a
local chain that was like a big Itallian Beef grinder w/onions, peppers
and dipped in the AuJus. The sandwich was topped with these delicious
hot pickled peppers. Anyone know this joint?

They had the same shape and size of the serrano but I didn't think they
packed the heat of a raw serrano but they were crunchy and delicious...
Anyone know if you can get these peppers from a can anywhere?

Thanks,
B

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2007, 06:34 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:27:31 -0700, Sonoran Dude wrote:

Was in L.A. last weekend and we got a French Dip type sandwich from a
local chain that was like a big Itallian Beef grinder w/onions, peppers
and dipped in the AuJus. The sandwich was topped with these delicious
hot pickled peppers. Anyone know this joint?


LA is a big place. Did this place have a name?

They had the same shape and size of the serrano but I didn't think they
packed the heat of a raw serrano but they were crunchy and delicious...
Anyone know if you can get these peppers from a can anywhere?


They're called sport peppers. Slightly fatter than most serrano
peppers and popular for use on Chicago hot dogs and Italian beef
sandwiches.

-sw


The place is just a block East of Beach next to Knotts Berry Farm. It's
a large pad type drive thru place in front of a shopping mall. I think
you are correct on the pepper and have had them for years on other
sandwiches. This place sliced the whole pepper into little 1/2 inch
chunks and had a great mouth feel and heat. They seemed a little spicier
than the traditional Chicago Dog pepper but may have just seemed that
way since there was much more than a single pepper on the sandwich.
Maybe the key is to try and pickle the serrano and serve them similarly.


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-10-2007, 01:10 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

On Oct 22, 10:34?am, Sonoran Dude wrote:

The place is just a block East of Beach next to Knotts Berry Farm. It's
a large pad type drive thru place in front of a shopping mall.


Quizno's?

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-10-2007, 08:01 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

Mr. Sardonicus wrote:
On Oct 22, 10:34?am, Sonoran Dude wrote:

The place is just a block East of Beach next to Knotts Berry Farm. It's
a large pad type drive thru place in front of a shopping mall.


Quizno's?

Just texted my cousin. The place is called Portillos, looks as if they
are famous in Chicago. It's pronounced with a hard L sound like
Pillows.If you go order the Italian Beef with peppers, shrooms and the
hot peppers. They dip the entire sandwich in aujus. Good stuff. I got
their website and will see if I can order some of their peppers.
http://www.portillos.com/portillos/look/
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-10-2007, 11:31 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4
Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

On Oct 23, 12:01?pm, Sonoran Dude wrote:

Just texted my cousin. The place is called Portillos, looks as if they
are famous in Chicago. It's pronounced with a hard L sound like
Pillows.If you go order the Italian Beef with peppers, shrooms and the
hot peppers. They dip the entire sandwich in aujus. Good stuff. I got
their website and will see if I can order some of their peppers.http://www.portillos.com/portillos/look/


Do you know where Union Station is, in Los Angeles? Phillipe's the
Original claims to have invented the french dip sandwich accidentally
in 1908. http://www.philippes.com/restaurant/




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-10-2007, 01:19 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

Morrgaine wrote:

Do you know where Union Station is, in Los Angeles? Phillipe's the
Original claims to have invented the french dip sandwich accidentally
in 1908. http://www.philippes.com/restaurant/



Thank you,
My cousin was telling me about this place but could not remember the
name of it. Next trip I'm going here...
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2007, 10:25 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 51
Default Pickled Serrano Peppers...

If this is indeed Portillos, then most likely the Peppers used (like the
Hot Dog Peppers) are Sport Peppers, not Serrano.

They are similar looking Peppers, but the mouth feel is different.
Serranos I have found to be a more fleshy-chewy-tough than the Sport
Pepper.
I suppose they can be used in a pinch, and typically I use Sport Peppers
like others, to make homemade Giardeniera. Mark



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pickled Peppers Jack Allen Preserving 1 31-08-2007 12:49 AM
Pickled Jalapeno Peppers (2) Collection chefrwmillr Recipes (moderated) 0 06-04-2007 04:37 AM
Pickled Peppers BrianW General Cooking 5 01-08-2006 08:16 PM
Pickled Peppers (refrigerator) barry in indy Preserving 3 23-07-2004 10:27 PM
Tricolor Pickled Peppers [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 08:40 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017