Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default too quiet here

anyone got some interesting ways with Nopales? I usually just fry them up
with onions and garlic but my boss thinks them too slimy like okra. Saw a
Beef stew with them but not much else. anyone?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> anyone got some interesting ways with Nopales? I usually just fry them up
> with onions and garlic but my boss thinks them too slimy like okra. Saw a
> Beef stew with them but not much else. anyone?

No nopales but I have been making some killer green chili with last
years NM chilies I'm using up. I've just been frying some garlic, onion,
and boneless skinless frozen chicken thighs with a few spoons of Knor
Swiss tomato bullion in the big iron skillet. Then I put a big brick of
peeled chili on top and set the thing on low for about an hour. Once
cooked a quick mash with my potato masher does the trick. refridgerated
a batch and didn't see much grease but lots of olive oil. I guess this
will kill me too.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Bad nopales (was too quiet here)

On Sep 13, 11:15 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
> anyone got some interesting ways with Nopales? I usually just fry them up
> with onions and garlic but my boss thinks them too slimy like okra. Saw a
> Beef stew with them but not much else. anyone?

I became less fond of nopales back in the '70s when I was doing
archaeology on a mission site in S. Texas. This was our first week
out and we hadn't been paid yet and were going back to Austin the next
day to (hopefully) a paycheck. All we had for the three of us was a
partial box of Uncle Ben's rice, garlic, a really tired serrano, and a
rather old can of salmon. And it was spring and there were LOTS of
nopales around for free. So we thought we'd eat nopales...

We sauteed them with the garlic, added the salmon and a half can of
beer, cooked the rice and had one of the worst meals that I have ever
cooked. Not very good at all.

T.

PS: We did get paid when we got back and made sure we took plenty of
potatoes & onions along the next week.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Look here for more ideas: http://rollybrook.com/nopales.htm

Folow the links in the article for more ways to use nopales.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"tbs48" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 13, 11:15 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
>> anyone got some interesting ways with Nopales? I usually just fry them
>> up
>> with onions and garlic but my boss thinks them too slimy like okra. Saw
>> Beef stew with them but not much else. anyone?

> I became less fond of nopales back in the '70s when I was doing
> archaeology on a mission site in S. Texas. This was our first week
> out and we hadn't been paid yet and were going back to Austin the next
> day to (hopefully) a paycheck. All we had for the three of us was a
> partial box of Uncle Ben's rice, garlic, a really tired serrano, and a
> rather old can of salmon. And it was spring and there were LOTS of
> nopales around for free. So we thought we'd eat nopales...
>
> We sauteed them with the garlic, added the salmon and a half can of
> beer, cooked the rice and had one of the worst meals that I have ever
> cooked. Not very good at all.
>
> T.
>
> PS: We did get paid when we got back and made sure we took plenty of
> potatoes & onions along the next week.

I think we all have had one or two of those cooking adventures in our lives.

One of my worst was in Menard Texas and involved a Mud Hen.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rolly" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Look here for more ideas: http://rollybrook.com/nopales.htm
>
> Folow the links in the article for more ways to use nopales.

Rolly, I have read your website comptely thru a few times now. Still love
it and wish there was more. So thanks for the site

I make a style similiar to Sra. Martha's, in fact took the inspiration from
your site to try them again from my old SW days. I found them in an hole in
the wall store up here a couple of years back, both fresh and bottled. (the
fresh looked like they made their way up on a slow Mule train, so got the
bottled) . Onion, Green and Red Tomatoes, Tomatillos and Chiles. Have not
tried the eggs as yet.

I do have a question that I hope you can answer,does your butcher make
chorizo, and if what is his recipe(s)? If so do they make a green chorizo?
What do the other Mexican people say is in their chorizo.Any chance of pics
of sausage making and recipes?
thanks

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" > wrote in message
> anyone got some interesting ways with Nopales? I usually just fry them up
> with onions and garlic but my boss thinks them too slimy like okra. Saw a
> Beef stew with them but not much else. anyone?

We always have a bottle of nopalitos handy and use them in scrambled eggs,
over a burrito and green salsa, add to salads, all kinds of ways to enjoy
them. But no main meal that I can think of consisting of nopalitos as the
main ingredient.

They are also a source for occasional chuckle when with my wife' dad... "No
Palito" in Spanish means "No sex".

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 13, 8:15?pm, "Gunner" > wrote:

too quiet here

Maybe it would get interesting if Wayne let a fart or Sonoran Dudu
told us all about drinking warm beer out of Corona bottles
the morning after a party.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

> Any chance of pics of sausage making and recipes?

Good idea. I'll check into that as soon as the weather cools down a
bit.

I have several new cooking stories as soon as it is cool enough to
spend time in the kitchen,

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Mr. Sardonicus" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 13, 8:15?pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
>
> too quiet here
>
> Maybe it would get interesting if Wayne let a fart or Sonoran Dudu
> told us all about drinking warm beer out of Corona bottles
> the morning after a party.

Well Hello Booger, how have you been?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 14, 2:38?pm, "Gunner" > wrote:

> Well Hello Booger, how have you been?

I see you're still floating around in here like a turd in a punch
bowl.

So. What's the latest concensus on whether real chili has beans in it?

Any new opinions about whether Mexican food with comino in it is
"authentic"?

Any new ideas about how to use offal in your tacos?

And, does epazote prevent old farts from farting?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Mr. Sardonicus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 14, 2:38?pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
>
>> Well Hello Booger, how have you been?

> I see you're still floating around in here like a turd in a punch
> bowl.
>
> So. What's the latest concensus on whether real chili has beans in it?
>
> Any new opinions about whether Mexican food with comino in it is
> "authentic"?
>
> Any new ideas about how to use offal in your tacos?
>
> And, does epazote prevent old farts from farting?

How's the food on those little harbor cruise ships Booger ? Is it any
better than the food in your Psych ward?

BTW, "T" gave a good link on offal on another website, I immediately
thought of you and your faux pretentiousness and bigotry :
http://www.offalgood.com/?m=200708

Too Bad. You could have been an asset here, instead your just an bigoted
old ass who still cannot cook all the while trying to teach us how to.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 15, 9:38?am, "Gunner" > wrote:

> BTW, "T" gave a good link on offal on another website, I immediately
> thought of you and your faux pretentiousness and bigotry :http://www.offalgood.com/?m=200708

I never open your links. I can surf the web quite well on my own.

> Too Bad. You could have been an asset here, instead your just an bigoted
> old ass who still cannot cook all the while trying to teach us how to.

It's sad when a newsgroup is dominated by somebody like you.

You behave like a dog in a manger. You don't want to eat the hay but
you don't want the cows to eat it either.

You really don't want to show anybody a better way, you just want to
be aggressive and dominate.

But it doesn't much matter to a short attention span group of burnouts
that doesn't want to bother to read recipes but would rather use the
group as a sort of hangout.

When groups take that route, everybody starts talking about themselves
and how the weather is in their area, and their pet peeves and the
basic topic of the group is increasingly ignored and serious
contributors go somewhere else.

Then the biggest blowhard in the bunch posts a message complaining
about how "quiet" the group is.

No shit. It's quiet. You drive people away by being such a turd in the
punchbowl.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Mr. Sardonicus" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Sep 15, 9:38?am, "Gunner" > wrote:
>
> > BTW, "T" gave a good link on offal on another website, I immediately
> > thought of you and your faux pretentiousness and bigotry

:http://www.offalgood.com/?m=200708

> I never open your links. I can surf the web quite well on my own.
> >
> > Too Bad. You could have been an asset here, instead your just an

bigoted
> > old ass who still cannot cook all the while trying to teach us how to.

> It's sad when a newsgroup is dominated by somebody like you.
>
> You behave like a dog in a manger. You don't want to eat the hay but
> you don't want the cows to eat it either.
>
> You really don't want to show anybody a better way, you just want to
> be aggressive and dominate.
>
> But it doesn't much matter to a short attention span group of burnouts
> that doesn't want to bother to read recipes but would rather use the
> group as a sort of hangout.
>
> When groups take that route, everybody starts talking about themselves
> and how the weather is in their area, and their pet peeves and the
> basic topic of the group is increasingly ignored and serious
> contributors go somewhere else.
>
> Then the biggest blowhard in the bunch posts a message complaining
> about how "quiet" the group is.
>
> No shit. It's quiet. You drive people away by being such a turd in the
> punchbowl.

Don't know who you are Sardonicus, but you sound like you are really ****ed
off. Heck, who comes here for real enlightenment? We come here to pester
others with our preconceived notionsl, just wanting to share our POV and see
if we can cause lighting to strike. Which is what Gunner has done.

You... whoever you are... should know that Gunner is an igniter and you
should enjoy his/her talent, humor and sarcasm to your benefit, adding a bit
of salsa to your obvious lack of chile in your life.

Come on back with a crisply, hot chile response! I dare you.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Mr. Sardonicus wrote:
> On Sep 15, 9:38?am, "Gunner" > wrote:

> It's sad when a newsgroup is dominated by somebody like you.
>
> You behave like a dog in a manger. You don't want to eat the hay but
> you don't want the cows to eat it either.
>
> You really don't want to show anybody a better way, you just want to
> be aggressive and dominate.

|\
| |
Dude, Stop the Meth! | |
| |
\ | |
\ )))))))) | |
\ (((( \ | |
\ \\\.=<#-<# | |
\ \C 7 | |
, \ -) | |
\\__ __.) (.__ | |
\\\\ _ /' `\ | |
\_ '/ / , . \ | |
\ \ / /| ' ' |\ \ | |
\ \/ / | | \ \ | |
\ /' | | `\ \| |
`' | | \ | |
| . | \| |
>-------< | |\

[~~~~~~~~~] | | )
[ L ] | \/
[ | ] | |
[____|____] | |
| / \ | | |
() () | |
jgs )( )( | | `-. `.
/==\ /==\ | | `.;
ooooO} {Ooooo | | `
~^^^~ ~^^^~ |/
REALITY IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT AND YOU NEED TO GO BACK AND READ AGAIN

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Mr. Sardonicus" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> On Sep 15, 9:38?am, "Gunner" > wrote:
>>

> Don't know who you are Sardonicus, but you sound like you are really
> ****ed
> off. Heck, who comes here for real enlightenment? We come here to pester
> others with our preconceived notionsl, just wanting to share our POV and
> see
> if we can cause lighting to strike. Which is what Gunner has done.
>
> You... whoever you are... should know that Gunner is an igniter and you
> should enjoy his/her talent, humor and sarcasm to your benefit, adding a
> bit
> of salsa to your obvious lack of chile in your life.

Why, thank you Wayne, I dare say I resemble that remark!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rolly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Any chance of pics of sausage making and recipes?

> Good idea. I'll check into that as soon as the weather cools down a
> bit.
>
> I have several new cooking stories as soon as it is cool enough to
> spend time in the kitchen,

Do let us know when. I forget the heat factor. I liked the hog butchering
pics and story and it ties in with tbs48's link very well. We here in the
States tend to forget where it all came from and that someone had to do it.
They certainly do not want to see the Smithfield's kill off and disposal.
wonder how much of that collateral kill goes into the system here in
America?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

tbs48 wrote:
> On Sep 13, 11:15 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
>> anyone got some interesting ways with Nopales? I usually just fry them up
>> with onions and garlic but my boss thinks them too slimy like okra. Saw a
>> Beef stew with them but not much else. anyone?

> I became less fond of nopales back in the '70s when I was doing
> archaeology on a mission site in S. Texas. This was our first week
> out and we hadn't been paid yet and were going back to Austin the next
> day to (hopefully) a paycheck. All we had for the three of us was a
> partial box of Uncle Ben's rice, garlic, a really tired serrano, and a
> rather old can of salmon. And it was spring and there were LOTS of
> nopales around for free. So we thought we'd eat nopales...
>
> We sauteed them with the garlic, added the salmon and a half can of
> beer, cooked the rice and had one of the worst meals that I have ever
> cooked. Not very good at all.
>
> T.
>
> PS: We did get paid when we got back and made sure we took plenty of
> potatoes & onions along the next week.

If you got sick from eating this it was probably due to the old serrano.

Quiet at last Michel Boucher[_3_] General Cooking 85 15-08-2015 10:35 PM
It's quiet here for the 4th! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 13 09-07-2012 04:07 AM
Summertime Quiet Wilson[_3_] Sushi 23 09-07-2008 08:20 PM
Why So Quiet Group? jim Winemaking 14 16-02-2007 04:43 PM