Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Cilantro woes

I've been lurking here for a couple of years, and prowling through the
archives, but while I've seen posts from people with my problem, I
don't think I've ever seen a solution.
I'm one of those unfortunates who gets a soapy taste from cilantro;
from what I've read, it's a genetic thing.
I can deal with it in small amounts if it's in a well-seasoned salsa,
but when it's the predominant flavor, it's awful. (The worst was in
some cilantro-laden commercial tamales we got; I forget the brand, but
they were beyond soapy and tasted like an overchlorinated swimming
pool. First time I ever met a tamale I didn't like.)
So I guess what I'm wondering is whether there is any combination of
herbs/spices that would approximate the taste that cilantro has for
normal folks.
TIA for any suggestions you might have.

Mary

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 5, 6:47 am, TheOldDame > wrote:
> I've been lurking here for a couple of years, and prowling through the
> archives, but while I've seen posts from people with my problem, I
> don't think I've ever seen a solution.
> I'm one of those unfortunates who gets a soapy taste from cilantro;
> from what I've read, it's a genetic thing.
> I can deal with it in small amounts if it's in a well-seasoned salsa,
> but when it's the predominant flavor, it's awful. (The worst was in
> some cilantro-laden commercial tamales we got; I forget the brand, but
> they were beyond soapy and tasted like an overchlorinated swimming
> pool. First time I ever met a tamale I didn't like.)
> So I guess what I'm wondering is whether there is any combination of
> herbs/spices that would approximate the taste that cilantro has for
> normal folks.
> TIA for any suggestions you might have.

My ex-father-in-law once made a cilantro pesto. I like cilantro, but
this was really over the top. I think he got it from a 1980's GOURMET
magazine.. Ikk!

T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"TheOldDame" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've been lurking here for a couple of years, and prowling through the
> archives, but while I've seen posts from people with my problem, I
> don't think I've ever seen a solution.
> I'm one of those unfortunates who gets a soapy taste from cilantro;
> from what I've read, it's a genetic thing.
> I can deal with it in small amounts if it's in a well-seasoned salsa,
> but when it's the predominant flavor, it's awful. (The worst was in
> some cilantro-laden commercial tamales we got; I forget the brand, but
> they were beyond soapy and tasted like an overchlorinated swimming
> pool. First time I ever met a tamale I didn't like.)
> So I guess what I'm wondering is whether there is any combination of
> herbs/spices that would approximate the taste that cilantro has for
> normal folks.
> TIA for any suggestions you might have.
>
> Mary

Mary, try Culantro or Recao( Carib, particuliarly PR and Haitian Markets,
some Asian Markets carry it) or get some seeds and grow your own. Some find
it too similiar a taste so I think the genetic thing may carry over. I
slowly increased the amount of cilantro in my salsas to get my daughter to
eat them and now she has "aquired"its taste. Try green rice( start with a
bit and then use more and more cilantro until you are satisfied) You may
try corinander seed, toasted and ground as a flavor element ( no similiar
taste to me, this is my sub for cumin) or perhaps Epozote for a Latin flavor
which again, some like, some do not. Fresh it is a bit powerful cooked in
beans it is good.

Iif you are looking for a good condiment especially on meat try a
chimichurri ( OO, parsley and garlic, S&P, Lemon or Lime) Haven't had
anyone not like it as yet especially on a sliced flat iron steak salad.

Google for all these.
good luck

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"TheOldDame" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've been lurking here for a couple of years, and prowling through the
> archives, but while I've seen posts from people with my problem, I
> don't think I've ever seen a solution.
> I'm one of those unfortunates who gets a soapy taste from cilantro;
> from what I've read, it's a genetic thing.
> I can deal with it in small amounts if it's in a well-seasoned salsa,
> but when it's the predominant flavor, it's awful. (The worst was in
> some cilantro-laden commercial tamales we got; I forget the brand, but
> they were beyond soapy and tasted like an overchlorinated swimming
> pool. First time I ever met a tamale I didn't like.)
> So I guess what I'm wondering is whether there is any combination of
> herbs/spices that would approximate the taste that cilantro has for
> normal folks.
> TIA for any suggestions you might have.
>
> Mary

Mary, since 1942 I have been enjoying cilantro... but in very small
quantities. Usually a sprig in a bowl of guacamole, or a few leafs in a
ceviche. And never cooked! A salsa without cilantro has a lot to be desired,
so just the right combination makes for true delight.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Thanks to all who responded; I'll certainly try out your suggestions.
(Well, not the cilantro pesto, T. <g>)
I'd forgotten that it's used in some Asian cuisine. Gunner, you jogged
a memory of a green Thai curry; I Googled all over the place after I
had it, and found that they all call for cilantro, but the one time I
had the curry, it was scrumptious. So maybe there is a difference, or
maybe the flavors just play well together.
I'll have to try the chimichurri. Sounds like something both my hubby
and I would like.
Wayne, I'll try a very little in guacamole and see what happens. In
the mean time, I think some of the local (Twin Cities) taquerias do
tacos al pastore, which I've been wanting to try. Maybe I can try one
with and one without.

Again, thank you.
Mary

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

TheOldDame wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded; I'll certainly try out your suggestions.
> (Well, not the cilantro pesto, T. <g>)
> I'd forgotten that it's used in some Asian cuisine. Gunner, you jogged
> a memory of a green Thai curry; I Googled all over the place after I
> had it, and found that they all call for cilantro, but the one time I
> had the curry, it was scrumptious. So maybe there is a difference, or
> maybe the flavors just play well together.
> I'll have to try the chimichurri. Sounds like something both my hubby
> and I would like.
> Wayne, I'll try a very little in guacamole and see what happens. In
> the mean time, I think some of the local (Twin Cities) taquerias do
> tacos al pastore, which I've been wanting to try. Maybe I can try one
> with and one without.
>
> Again, thank you.
> Mary

Nobody mentioned a little Mexican oregano to spice up a salsa. Again
this is a powerful herb but it is found in many hot sauces. Flat leaf
parsley can be used to add color too.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 6, 12:14?am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:

> Nobody mentioned a little Mexican oregano to spice up a salsa. Again
> this is a powerful herb but it is found in many hot sauces. Flat leaf
> parsley can be used to add color too.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, Dudu. I'll give it a shot.

Mary

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:

> SNIP
>
> Mary, try Culantro or Recao( Carib, particuliarly PR and Haitian Markets,
> some Asian Markets carry it) or get some seeds and grow your own. Some find
> it too similiar a taste so I think the genetic thing may carry over. I
> slowly increased the amount of cilantro in my salsas to get my daughter to
> eat them and now she has "aquired"its taste. Try green rice( start with a
> bit and then use more and more cilantro until you are satisfied) You may
> try corinander seed, toasted and ground as a flavor element ( no similiar
> taste to me, this is my sub for cumin) or perhaps Epozote for a Latin flavor
> which again, some like, some do not. Fresh it is a bit powerful cooked in
> beans it is good.
>
> Iif you are looking for a good condiment especially on meat try a
> chimichurri ( OO, parsley and garlic, S&P, Lemon or Lime) Haven't had
> anyone not like it as yet especially on a sliced flat iron steak salad.
>
> Google for all these.
> good luck

===
Where do you get recao here in Austin? My wife and I usually bring a bunch from
the farmer's market in the town of Cayey in Puerto Rico, but at the rate we use
it, it is gone in a couple of weeks. We have also tried the seeds and have had
mixed success with that. At the present we have a plant that yields about 6 to
8 leaves of about 6 inches long, but as I said, at the rate we use it, it is
gone pretty fast.

Thanks in advance.

Ray
South Austin
===

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> TheOldDame wrote:
> > Thanks to all who responded; I'll certainly try out your suggestions.
> > (Well, not the cilantro pesto, T. <g>)
> > I'd forgotten that it's used in some Asian cuisine. Gunner, you jogged
> > a memory of a green Thai curry; I Googled all over the place after I
> > had it, and found that they all call for cilantro, but the one time I
> > had the curry, it was scrumptious. So maybe there is a difference, or
> > maybe the flavors just play well together.
> > I'll have to try the chimichurri. Sounds like something both my hubby
> > and I would like.
> > Wayne, I'll try a very little in guacamole and see what happens. In
> > the mean time, I think some of the local (Twin Cities) taquerias do
> > tacos al pastore, which I've been wanting to try. Maybe I can try one
> > with and one without.
> >
> > Again, thank you.
> > Mary
> >

> Nobody mentioned a little Mexican oregano to spice up a salsa. Again
> this is a powerful herb but it is found in many hot sauces. Flat leaf
> parsley can be used to add color too.

-----
And don't forget epazote if you can find it fresh... goes great in black
bean soup!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 6, 2:28?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>

> And don't forget epazote if you can find it fresh... goes great in black
> bean soup!- Hide quoted text -

ISTR that in one of her books, Diana Kennedy said she found it growing
in a vacant lot in NYC!

Mary

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sep 7, 5:38 am, TheOldDame > wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2:28?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>
> > "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message

> > And don't forget epazote if you can find it fresh... goes great in black
> > bean soup!- Hide quoted text -

> ISTR that in one of her books, Diana Kennedy said she found it growing
> in a vacant lot in NYC!

Chenopodium..

T.

Refrigerator Woes Remsleep[_2_] Cooking Equipment 4 25-09-2007 10:21 PM
cooktop woes TammyM General Cooking 130 10-12-2006 01:53 AM
more mouse woes elaine General Cooking 27 30-11-2006 08:17 PM
Woes after Christmas... Bigbazza General Cooking 3 01-01-2005 05:02 PM
Woes after Christmas... Bigbazza General Cooking 0 01-01-2005 04:57 AM