Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Crazy dream

I dreamt being in a border-town plaza where slabs of wild turkey were being
grilled and served on a flower tortilla embellished with unsweetened
cranberries....

Was this an out-of-body experience? Anybody ever hear of anything like it?

Wild turkey is an ancient commodity in the Americas, flour tortillas did not
get a start until after the white man appeared with wheat in hand. And
cranberries are prolific in the Eastern half of the US native American
places.

Turkey-cranberry burrito?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>I dreamt being in a border-town plaza where slabs of wild turkey were being
> grilled and served on a flower tortilla embellished with unsweetened
> cranberries....
>
> Was this an out-of-body experience? Anybody ever hear of anything like it?
>
> Wild turkey is an ancient commodity in the Americas, flour tortillas did
> not
> get a start until after the white man appeared with wheat in hand. And
> cranberries are prolific in the Eastern half of the US native American
> places.
>
> Turkey-cranberry burrito?

Peyote buttons Wayne?

It is not far fetched if you think in regional native terms and not thinking
flour as only wheat and red berries as only cranberries. The Gould's turkey
was native in that area, now days it is probably a Merriam, a bit different
markings than your "Real Mexico Mexican " Ocellated Turkey but if I recall
correctly the feathers of the Ocellated, Sea shells and some brightly
colored Parrot feathers from the Central Americas have been found among the
Anasazi, Mogollon and HoHokum ruins. (The first NAFTA which also explains
how the chile pepper got to the SW long before Coronado's bunch was
credited with this event). We see Blue Corn as a SW variety and it was a
flour corn, not a dent. Yet corn as a staple is not nutritionally the best
of foods. Mesquite beans and Pinion nuts were also ground into flour as
was cattails roots and made into a style of flat breads similiar to flat
breads the world over. For the Anasazi corn was a tough grow in the Arid SW
and not as prevelent as what I know as Maize or Millet ( looks like birdseed
on a stick). The Anasazi favored carrying baskets for gathering grains and
seeds. They didn't get into pottery until much later (Urban blight era) .
Very skilled at basketweaving, their basket were so tightly woven they would
hold water to carry or cook with using hot rocks. So they used the stalks
and the seeds of these plants. The cranberries could/would have been
chokeberries or a variety of the sumac. Sometimes dried and pulverized with
meat jerky to make pemmican sometimes with ground grains to make a gruel
or porridge.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Aug 27, 11:35 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> I dreamt being in a border-town plaza where slabs of wild turkey were being
> grilled and served on a flower tortilla embellished with unsweetened
> cranberries....
>
> Was this an out-of-body experience? Anybody ever hear of anything like it?
>
> Wild turkey is an ancient commodity in the Americas, flour tortillas did not
> get a start until after the white man appeared with wheat in hand. And
> cranberries are prolific in the Eastern half of the US native American
> places.
>
> Turkey-cranberry burrito?

The cranberries could be agarita berries. Makes a great jelly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarita

BTW: The September GOURMET magazine is devoted to Latino cuisine.
There's an article on taquerias of N'C'lina. Road trip!

T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >I dreamt being in a border-town plaza where slabs of wild turkey were

being
> > grilled and served on a flower tortilla embellished with unsweetened
> > cranberries....
> >
> > Was this an out-of-body experience? Anybody ever hear of anything like

it?

> > Wild turkey is an ancient commodity in the Americas, flour tortillas did
> > not
> > get a start until after the white man appeared with wheat in hand. And
> > cranberries are prolific in the Eastern half of the US native American
> > places.
> >
> > Turkey-cranberry burrito?
> >

> Peyote buttons Wayne?
>
> It is not far fetched if you think in regional native terms and not

thinking
> flour as only wheat and red berries as only cranberries. The Gould's

turkey
> was native in that area, now days it is probably a Merriam, a bit

different
> markings than your "Real Mexico Mexican " Ocellated Turkey but if I recall
> correctly the feathers of the Ocellated, Sea shells and some brightly
> colored Parrot feathers from the Central Americas have been found among

the
> Anasazi, Mogollon and HoHokum ruins. (The first NAFTA which also

explains
> how the chile pepper got to the SW long before Coronado's bunch was
> credited with this event). We see Blue Corn as a SW variety and it was a
> flour corn, not a dent. Yet corn as a staple is not nutritionally the

best
> of foods. Mesquite beans and Pinion nuts were also ground into flour as
> was cattails roots and made into a style of flat breads similiar to flat
> breads the world over. For the Anasazi corn was a tough grow in the Arid

SW
> and not as prevelent as what I know as Maize or Millet ( looks like

birdseed
> on a stick). The Anasazi favored carrying baskets for gathering grains

and
> seeds. They didn't get into pottery until much later (Urban blight era) .
> Very skilled at basketweaving, their basket were so tightly woven they

would
> hold water to carry or cook with using hot rocks. So they used the stalks
> and the seeds of these plants. The cranberries could/would have been
> chokeberries or a variety of the sumac. Sometimes dried and pulverized

with
> meat jerky to make pemmican sometimes with ground grains to make a gruel
> or porridge.

Wow! Gunner, you are a veritable walking encyclopedia! Great write-up which
has now been cut and pasted into my growing reference library with your
email address as credit.

Now I'm about ready to test out my 'dream' concoction. But not to excited
because my taste buds don't seem to perk up at the idea of grilled turkey
strips. Quien sabe?

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"tbs48" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Aug 27, 11:35 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
> > I dreamt being in a border-town plaza where slabs of wild turkey were

being
> > grilled and served on a flower tortilla embellished with unsweetened
> > cranberries....
> >
> > Was this an out-of-body experience? Anybody ever hear of anything like

it?

> > Wild turkey is an ancient commodity in the Americas, flour tortillas did

not
> > get a start until after the white man appeared with wheat in hand. And
> > cranberries are prolific in the Eastern half of the US native American
> > places.
> >
> > Turkey-cranberry burrito?

> The cranberries could be agarita berries. Makes a great jelly.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarita
>
> BTW: The September GOURMET magazine is devoted to Latino cuisine.
> There's an article on taquerias of N'C'lina. Road trip!
>
> T.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Gunner" > wrote in message
>

> Wow! Gunner, you are a veritable walking encyclopedia! >

> Wayne

Not by any means Wayne but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!
Wayne, do you access or read this group? http://www.famsi.org/index.html If
not, I do recommend it, I believe you will find many things of interest to
your Maya research.
One for the Desert life, a bit rudimentiary but good basic info:
http://www.desertusa.com/ind1/ind_new/ind10.html

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Gunner" > wrote in message
> >

> > Wow! Gunner, you are a veritable walking encyclopedia! >

> > Wayne

> Not by any means Wayne but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!
> Wayne, do you access or read this group? http://www.famsi.org/index.html

If
> not, I do recommend it, I believe you will find many things of interest

> your Maya research.
> One for the Desert life, a bit rudimentiary but good basic info:
> http://www.desertusa.com/ind1/ind_new/ind10.html

Took a quick peek and it looks very interesting and well done. Will get to
it again later when I have more time.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in
:

> I dreamt being in a border-town plaza where slabs of wild turkey were
> being grilled and served on a flower tortilla embellished with
> unsweetened cranberries....
>
> Wild turkey is an ancient commodity in the Americas, flour tortillas
> did not get a start until after the white man appeared with wheat in
> hand. And cranberries are prolific in the Eastern half of the US
> native American places.
>
> Turkey-cranberry burrito?

Turkey tacos?
http://www.lunchspark.com/tonys-jacal,solana-beach,ca

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Charles Quinn" > wrote in message
. 3.70...
> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I dreamt being in a border-town plaza where slabs of wild turkey were
> > being grilled and served on a flower tortilla embellished with
> > unsweetened cranberries....
> >
> > Wild turkey is an ancient commodity in the Americas, flour tortillas
> > did not get a start until after the white man appeared with wheat in
> > hand. And cranberries are prolific in the Eastern half of the US
> > native American places.
> >
> > Turkey-cranberry burrito?

> Turkey tacos?
> http://www.lunchspark.com/tonys-jacal,solana-beach,ca
>

> --
>
> Charles
> The significant problems we face cannot be solved
> at the same level of thinking we were at when we
> created them. Albert Einstein

No detail description of their turkey taco... have you had one there? Are
they made with corn tortilla? Flour? and what kind of salsa?