Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

Default 1,500 year old Chiles..

In article ,

On 2007-07-12, Rechazador de Disparates wrote:

It was very maneuverable and interesting to watch. But it didn't
belong in that environment.

Neither do pet cats.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/cats.htm

nb

Cats are perfectly capable of adjusting to being strictly indoors.

Mine have... Only the oldest ones will go out the door if it accidently
gets left ajar, but they come right back in now. The ones that have
never been outdoors don't even try.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

You can see the dead growth in the background. I was afraid to trim it
off because with these bushes, sometimes it's hard to tell and new
growth will spring out from what looks like dead branches.

This bush is several years old now and produces hundreds of fruits per
year about the size of my pinky fingernail. :-) The Cocaktoo is the
lucky recipient of many of them. Good source of C which birds need.

Nice looking bush... you must be in a cooler climate to have fruit this
early in the season. The Sonoran monsoon rains are rumbling in the
distance as I type and we should have showers every night for the next
few weeks. My bush will transform to twice it's size and blossom around
September and the small fruit will be ready by Nov-Dec.

This guy was only about 8 inches tall when I found him. I didn't think
he made the cross-town trip in the middle of the summer heat 3 years
ago. It looked like he was totally dead but put him in the same distance
from a north facing wall where I found him and he was alive and kicking
in a week. I've never fertilized him other than letting the pack-rats
nest under him and the occasional dead bird carcass from messy owls and
hawks. My soil is native desert so he seems to be happy.

I know it's time to pick when I see Red Cardinals hanging out on the
wall behind the bush. As you can see I don't protect him from freezing,
don't trim him much unless a dead branch is in the way of my picking and
don't baby him. The flavor from this fruit is unbelievably delicious
with a thrilling burn that is nothing like the imported chiltepin from
Chihuahua. I collect about 1 or 2 oz of chiltepin and they last me most
of the year. Looking at the size of him now I should double that
quantity this year. At this time there is not one single blossom even
beginning to bud.

Here is the link to my ugly bush... It's about 108 degrees in the
shade... just the way he likes it. I'm not sure what sex he is but his
name is George.

http://www.desktoptrouble.com/chiltepin.jpg
Old 13-07-2007, 06:13 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

You can see the dead growth in the background. I was afraid to trim it
off because with these bushes, sometimes it's hard to tell and new
growth will spring out from what looks like dead branches.

This bush is several years old now and produces hundreds of fruits per
year about the size of my pinky fingernail. :-) The Cocaktoo is the
lucky recipient of many of them. Good source of C which birds need.

Nice looking bush... you must be in a cooler climate to have fruit this
early in the season. The Sonoran monsoon rains are rumbling in the
distance as I type and we should have showers every night for the next
few weeks. My bush will transform to twice it's size and blossom around
September and the small fruit will be ready by Nov-Dec.

Central Texas.

I will wait until they turn red tho'. I generally get ripe fruit late
summer/early fall for about 4 to 6 weeks.

[...]

They are hermaphroditic. :-)
He/she is a very nice plant! Just needs a bit more moisture it seems.

I think mine looks this nice as we've been getting tons of rain, and I
amended the soil around it last year with shovelings from what used to
be an emu pen.

I never neglect my bush.

eg
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-07-2007, 06:24 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 13, 12:13 pm, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

[...]

This is my favorite variety:
http://petterssononline.com/habanero...=variety&id=14

eg
--
Peace, Om

--Bryan

Old 13-07-2007, 08:41 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
Bobo Bonobo(R) wrote:

This is my favorite variety:
http://petterssononline.com/habanero...=variety&id=14

eg
--
Peace, Om

--Bryan

I have no idea what variety I have. :-) They grow wild in this part of
Texas, and this one was a volunteer.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-07-2007, 08:58 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

They are hermaphroditic. :-)
He/she is a very nice plant! Just needs a bit more moisture it seems.

I think mine looks this nice as we've been getting tons of rain, and I
amended the soil around it last year with shovelings from what used to
be an emu pen.

I never neglect my bush.

eg

Trimmed and pampered bushes are over rated. I like mine natural just as
God created them. Our rains are coming... and this old guy will spring
to life. Reply to me directly and I'll send you my snail address to send
me some sample fruit from your pampered bush this fall and in November
I'll send you some of the wild Sonoran variety and we can compare the
flavors.
Old 13-07-2007, 10:16 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-12, Rechazador de Disparates wrote:

was in her own backyard.

Your cat owns a backyard? Does it pay taxes? Has it been posted no
trespassing to songbirds? Does the environment and related ecosystems
recognize her ownership rights? I know if people kill certain bird
species, they can be charged. Why not cats? If cats kill birds, can
people kill cats? Just some thoughts I have.

nb

My daughter has two cats and they spend much of their time attacking
birds through the glass windows of our home. I agree with you that cat
owners should be responsible to keep their cats indoors so not to
interfere with wildlife. Cats in our neighborhood don't last long
because of native wild cats, coyotes, owls and hawks. I can remember
only one outdoor cat in our neighborhood who was completely black, a
natural camouflage but he finally succumbed to a passing motorist.

Keep em sterile and keep em indoors.

Old 14-07-2007, 02:50 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

They are hermaphroditic. :-)
He/she is a very nice plant! Just needs a bit more moisture it seems.

I think mine looks this nice as we've been getting tons of rain, and I
amended the soil around it last year with shovelings from what used to
be an emu pen.

I never neglect my bush.

eg

Trimmed and pampered bushes are over rated. I like mine natural just as
God created them. Our rains are coming... and this old guy will spring
to life. Reply to me directly and I'll send you my snail address to send
me some sample fruit from your pampered bush this fall and in November
I'll send you some of the wild Sonoran variety and we can compare the
flavors.

Ok. :-)

I'll send you some fruit when it ripens.

I'd not call my bush pampered per se', it's growing in the main garden
bed so just gets the benefits of caring for things like tomato plants.
I've not trimmed it for many years.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 14-07-2007, 02:51 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

In article ,

On 2007-07-12, Rechazador de Disparates wrote:

was in her own backyard.

Your cat owns a backyard? Does it pay taxes? Has it been posted no
trespassing to songbirds? Does the environment and related ecosystems
recognize her ownership rights? I know if people kill certain bird
species, they can be charged. Why not cats? If cats kill birds, can
people kill cats? Just some thoughts I have.

nb

My daughter has two cats and they spend much of their time attacking
birds through the glass windows of our home. I agree with you that cat
owners should be responsible to keep their cats indoors so not to
interfere with wildlife. Cats in our neighborhood don't last long
because of native wild cats, coyotes, owls and hawks. I can remember
only one outdoor cat in our neighborhood who was completely black, a
natural camouflage but he finally succumbed to a passing motorist.

Keep em sterile and keep em indoors.

Seconded.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 17-07-2007, 09:40 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

Rechazador de Disparates wrote:
they try to escape from human company.

That's why they have to be kept in cages. Human-bird relationships are
unnatural.

What is unnatural about making friends with a bird? Don't humans make
friends through routine acts of kindness? Even the wildest birds will
eventually get used to you if you feed them on a regular basis. I
routinely get young litters of quail in the backyard. I like to throw
out my chopping scraps out for the chix in the morning and watch them
tackle my tall grass. I know its dinner bell mentality but mom and dad
will scratch around my feet with no problem after a few days of routine.

Chickens make great pets and wish I could have one where I live. Parrots
can die after loosing contact with an owner. I like all animals but beef
is my favorite.

Old 18-07-2007, 03:26 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sonoran Dude wrote:

Rechazador de Disparates wrote:
they try to escape from human company.

That's why they have to be kept in cages. Human-bird relationships are
unnatural.

What is unnatural about making friends with a bird? Don't humans make
friends through routine acts of kindness? Even the wildest birds will
eventually get used to you if you feed them on a regular basis. I
routinely get young litters of quail in the backyard. I like to throw
out my chopping scraps out for the chix in the morning and watch them
tackle my tall grass. I know its dinner bell mentality but mom and dad
will scratch around my feet with no problem after a few days of routine.

Chickens make great pets and wish I could have one where I live. Parrots
can die after loosing contact with an owner. I like all animals but beef
is my favorite.

That is very true about Parrots.
I've heard that more than once.

"Sitting out" a pet parrot often ends in a death sentence.

My Cockatoo loves her people!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.