Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Pepper question...

Hi All,

I want to make Chipotle Powder by smoking Jalapeno Peppers. I have the
means to smoke long and slow at a low temperature then dry them to the right
state (all done outside, in my carport). My delemma is, do I peel them
before I grind them in my spice grinder or food
processor?

The seeds and membrane or rib was removed before I smoked them. Can anyone
with experiece help me?

I appeciate the advice.

Christopher in Canada

--
"A journey of a thousand miles, starts with but a single step!"

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 28, 7:57 am, "Lonewolf" > wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to make Chipotle Powder by smoking Jalapeno Peppers. I have the
> means to smoke long and slow at a low temperature then dry them to the right
> state (all done outside, in my carport). My delemma is, do I peel them
> before I grind them in my spice grinder or food
> processor?
>
> The seeds and membrane or rib was removed before I smoked them. Can anyone
> with experiece help me?
>
> I appeciate the advice.

I don't see why you would have to.

T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Lonewolf" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I want to make Chipotle Powder by smoking Jalapeno Peppers. I have the
> means to smoke long and slow at a low temperature then dry them to the
> right
> state (all done outside, in my carport). My delemma is, do I peel them
> before I grind them in my spice grinder or food
> processor?
>
> The seeds and membrane or rib was removed before I smoked them. Can anyone
> with experiece help me?
>
> I appeciate the advice.
>
> Christopher in Canada
>

> --
> "A journey of a thousand miles, starts with but a single step!"

You can leave them whole with no problems, stem and all. As you will read in
one of the links make sure you dry them well.

I use a whole Chipotle Seca ( papper bag color) in my black beans instead
of a fresh chopped Jalapeno. When you introduce the pepper in the meal this
way affects the heat and taste as it rehydrates and gives up its flavor.
But like most good Home cooked dishes they are better the next day when that
pepper has given up it full rich smokiness and flavor.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/prof...potle%20Powder

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/chipotle.htm look towards the bottom for home
smoking Chipotle

banana pepper question Somebody 00xc.t General Cooking 8 03-10-2012 03:54 PM
Red Pepper question zara[_6_] General Cooking 21 19-10-2007 07:22 PM
Question about a Pepper Mark D General Cooking 4 10-02-2006 01:35 AM
Pepper question bk Barbecue 5 22-11-2004 09:37 PM
Red Jalapeno Pepper question ? Chris New B Preserving 2 21-10-2003 06:54 AM