Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default A Clandestine Burn (Habenero Powder)

I checked out a new restaurant here in Tucson while my daughter was at a
birthday party. The place is called Brundog's Zy-de-Que a New Orleans
BBQ joint.
I was able to talk to the Chef Tom and asked him about his sauces. He
does a peach based wing sauce and a sweet BBQ sauce that has very little
mouth burn but after it goes down you get the same sweating brow as if
you had just tackled the hottest sauce around.
The key is his homemade dried habenero powder. I didn't get into the
details of it but I imagine that he dries the skins and grinds it up
without the seeds.
The flavor was great without the mouth burn but got the endorphine rush
minutes later. Very cool food for a hot summer day here in the Old Pueblo.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Here in Mexico I buy potato chips with a habanero flavor. They are
hot, but good.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
>I checked out a new restaurant here in Tucson while my daughter was at a
>birthday party. The place is called Brundog's Zy-de-Que a New Orleans BBQ
>joint.
> I was able to talk to the Chef Tom and asked him about his sauces. He does
> a peach based wing sauce and a sweet BBQ sauce that has very little mouth
> burn but after it goes down you get the same sweating brow as if you had
> just tackled the hottest sauce around.
> The key is his homemade dried habenero powder. I didn't get into the
> details of it but I imagine that he dries the skins and grinds it up
> without the seeds.
> The flavor was great without the mouth burn but got the endorphine rush
> minutes later. Very cool food for a hot summer day here in the Old Pueblo.

Here is a wing recipe that I tweak a bit. I leave out the Cayenne and use
Ancho powder and a Hab or two and throw some apricot halves in with the
chicken when broiling. also very good grilled. I like grilled stone fruit.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/107741

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
>I checked out a new restaurant here in Tucson while my daughter was at a
>birthday party. The place is called Brundog's Zy-de-Que a New Orleans BBQ
>joint.
> I was able to talk to the Chef Tom and asked him about his sauces. He does
> a peach based wing sauce and a sweet BBQ sauce that has very little mouth
> burn but after it goes down you get the same sweating brow as if you had
> just tackled the hottest sauce around.
> The key is his homemade dried habenero powder. I didn't get into the
> details of it but I imagine that he dries the skins and grinds it up
> without the seeds.
> The flavor was great without the mouth burn but got the endorphine rush
> minutes later. Very cool food for a hot summer day here in the Old Pueblo.

Here is a wing recipe that I tweak a bit. I leave out the Cayenne and use
Ancho powder and a Hab or two and throw some apricot halves in with the
chicken when broiling. also very good grilled. I like grilled stone fruit.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/107741

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I checked out a new restaurant here in Tucson while my daughter was at a
>> birthday party. The place is called Brundog's Zy-de-Que a New Orleans BBQ
>> joint.
>> I was able to talk to the Chef Tom and asked him about his sauces. He does
>> a peach based wing sauce and a sweet BBQ sauce that has very little mouth
>> burn but after it goes down you get the same sweating brow as if you had
>> just tackled the hottest sauce around.
>> The key is his homemade dried habenero powder. I didn't get into the
>> details of it but I imagine that he dries the skins and grinds it up
>> without the seeds.
>> The flavor was great without the mouth burn but got the endorphine rush
>> minutes later. Very cool food for a hot summer day here in the Old Pueblo.

> Here is a wing recipe that I tweak a bit. I leave out the Cayenne and use
> Ancho powder and a Hab or two and throw some apricot halves in with the
> chicken when broiling. also very good grilled. I like grilled stone fruit.
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/107741

Those look quite abit like the wings I got in the restaurant. I'll give
them a try, Thanks

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly wrote:
> Here in Mexico I buy potato chips with a habanero flavor. They are
> hot, but good.

Interesting, I wonder why the Gringo companies haven't picked up on that
yet. They have ripped off the chili lime thing already. Chili lime
peanuts are my favorite in Mexico.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 24, 7:46 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Rolly wrote:
> > Here in Mexico I buy potato chips with a habanero flavor. They are
> > hot, but good.

> Interesting, I wonder why the Gringo companies haven't picked up on that
> yet. They have ripped off the chili lime thing already. Chili lime
> peanuts are my favorite in Mexico.

They (habanero potato chips) are here. I saw some a couple of weeks
ago in a Sheetz gas station on US 29 on the way from Dulles to
Charlottesville, VA. I did not try them, though... This would have
been between Culpeper & Ruckersville on the west side of the road..
The package had "modern" graphics on it.. black with metallic red
flames..

T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Here mght be an interesting thought for those who like heat.

Here in southern New Mexico where I live, and once visiting the Las
Cruces Farmer's Market, there was a local business, which I believe is
called "The Truck Stop" selling hot Powders, ad my favs were the
Jalapeno, and Habanero.

After become "somewhat: accustomed to the initial burn the first few
times you try it, I myself have found an addiction to the stuff.

I sprinkle it on Soups, Chili, Veggies, Potatoes, Tomato Juice, V8, and
use it also to occasionally spike a store bought Salsa.

Once can similarly duplicate this Powder I've found by using fresh
Habaneros, washing, and removing the stems, cut in 1/2, salt lightly,
place on a Cookie Sheet, and dry-dehydrate in a 140 degree oven for a
few hours. Remove, and let sit overnight. They will be bone dry by the
next morning.

Use a Blender on highest, or as I use, a small Coffee Mill to pulverize
into a Powder, then place in a Salt Shaker.

Lastly, a word of caution if you make this. Definitely wear Gloves when
handling-cutting them, and be very careful while grinding. Opening the
lid, and getting one whiff of the dust will choke a horse. I found out
both the "hard" way! lol Mark

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 24, 7:46 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Rolly wrote:
> > Here in Mexico I buy potato chips with a habanero flavor. They are
> > hot, but good.

> Interesting, I wonder why the Gringo companies haven't picked up on that
> yet. They have ripped off the chili lime thing already. Chili lime
> peanuts are my favorite in Mexico.

just out of luck i found this note by you... you can now buy for a
limited time in canada, no i am not a gringo lol, chips that are
called habanero heat.... by doritos... they are ok but i am sure you
have much better things in mexico.... wishing i was there in mexico,
the frozen canadain guy! :P

A very Clandestine Burn (Habenero Powder) Sonoran Dude Barbecue 0 23-06-2007 08:52 PM
Ping: Blake! Habenero Pique The Joneses[_1_] General Cooking 4 04-06-2007 12:24 AM
Chili powder vs Herb powder The Joneses[_1_] General Cooking 1 09-05-2007 01:19 PM
Clandestine Lodges SCUBApix Baking 0 02-11-2004 04:36 PM
Clandestine Cab tasting in HElsingborg ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 0 21-09-2004 08:47 PM