Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default survival on $3 a day for food?

I read an interesting article in the San Diego UT the other day about this
business of food stamps. If you average out the number of users and the
cost, seems like it's one dollar per meal per person. Legislators were asked
to prove to their constituents that they could live on one dollar per meal.

I've been thinking and doodling on this over the weekend and think it may be
an interesting experiment to see just how well we could eat for just how
much, or little, money.

I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
dollar if I cook for the three daily meals. I have other ideas for following
days so as to not get really bored with it all.

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe we can help the FDA provide recipes along with
the dollar a meal for the indigent.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> I read an interesting article in the San Diego UT the other day about this
> business of food stamps. If you average out the number of users and the
> cost, seems like it's one dollar per meal per person. Legislators were asked
> to prove to their constituents that they could live on one dollar per meal.
>
> I've been thinking and doodling on this over the weekend and think it may be
> an interesting experiment to see just how well we could eat for just how
> much, or little, money.
>
> I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
> tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
> dollar if I cook for the three daily meals. I have other ideas for following
> days so as to not get really bored with it all.
>
> Anybody have any ideas? Maybe we can help the FDA provide recipes along with
> the dollar a meal for the indigent.
>
> Wayne

Good idea for a reality show. Send that to Mark Burnett.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 18, 12:30?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
> tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
> dollar if I cook for the three daily meals.

http://agnews.tamu.edu/stories/HEAL/diabmex.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Several local politicians tried to live on a similar budget recently with
mixed success. They ate a lot of peanut butter.
"Rechazador de Disparates" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 18, 12:30?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
>> tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
>> dollar if I cook for the three daily meals.

> http://agnews.tamu.edu/stories/HEAL/diabmex.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 19, 3:32 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > I read an interesting article in the San Diego UT the other day about this
> > business of food stamps. If you average out the number of users and the
> > cost, seems like it's one dollar per meal per person. Legislators were asked
> > to prove to their constituents that they could live on one dollar per meal.

> > I've been thinking and doodling on this over the weekend and think it may be
> > an interesting experiment to see just how well we could eat for just how
> > much, or little, money.

> > I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
> > tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
> > dollar if I cook for the three daily meals. I have other ideas for following
> > days so as to not get really bored with it all.

> > Anybody have any ideas? Maybe we can help the FDA provide recipes along with
> > the dollar a meal for the indigent.

> > Wayne

> Good idea for a reality show. Send that to Mark Burnett.

Don't forget fresh roadkill for animal protein.

T.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rechazador de Disparates" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 18, 12:30?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
>> tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
>> dollar if I cook for the three daily meals.

> http://agnews.tamu.edu/stories/HEAL/diabmex.htm

Very interesting. Of course the researchers used mostly made in the USA
Mexican cooking and not the way we do it in Mexico where frying is not as
popular as in the States.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 20, 8:47?am, "Carolyn LeCrone" > wrote:
> Several local politicians tried to live on a similar budget recently with
> mixed success. They ate a lot of peanut butter.

The county welfare agency allows $5.00 a day per adult for food.

I am not on welfare. Some who qualify for welfare are getting morbidly
obese on it.

I can easily live on $3.00 a day, shopping at the 99 Cents Only
stores, Food4Less, and having a budget menu burger at a fast food
chain once or twice a week.

It's the last part that I regret. Beef is slow to digest and the fat
makes me gain weight.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 20, 12:08 pm, wrote:
> On Jun 19, 3:32 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
>

> > Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > > I read an interesting article in the San Diego UT the other day about this
> > > business of food stamps. If you average out the number of users and the
> > > cost, seems like it's one dollar per meal per person. Legislators were asked
> > > to prove to their constituents that they could live on one dollar per meal.

> > > I've been thinking and doodling on this over the weekend and think it may be
> > > an interesting experiment to see just how well we could eat for just how
> > > much, or little, money.

> > > I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
> > > tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
> > > dollar if I cook for the three daily meals. I have other ideas for following
> > > days so as to not get really bored with it all.

> > > Anybody have any ideas? Maybe we can help the FDA provide recipes along with
> > > the dollar a meal for the indigent.

> > > Wayne

> > Good idea for a reality show. Send that to Mark Burnett.

> Don't forget fresh roadkill for animal protein.

Eggs are a great source of protein, and are only about 10-15 cents
each.

> T.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Rechazador de Disparates" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Jun 18, 12:30?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few
>>> corn
>>> tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
>>> dollar if I cook for the three daily meals.

>> http://agnews.tamu.edu/stories/HEAL/diabmex.htm
>>

> Very interesting. Of course the researchers used mostly made in the USA
> Mexican cooking and not the way we do it in Mexico where frying is not as
> popular as in the States.
>
> Wayne

So do you feel they have less of an Obesity/Health problem in "Real"
Mexican cooking vs the USA Mexican cooking?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 20, 12:08 pm, wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 3:32 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
>>

> Eggs are a great source of protein, and are only about 10-15 cents
> each.
>>
>> T.

> --Bryan

Right on! A two egg huevos rancheros cost's only about sixty cents including
two tortillas and a side of beans. A meal in itself!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Rechazador de Disparates" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> http://agnews.tamu.edu/stories/HEAL/diabmex.htm
>>>

>> Very interesting. Of course the researchers used mostly made in the USA
>> Mexican cooking and not the way we do it in Mexico where frying is not as
>> popular as in the States.
>>
>> Wayne

> So do you feel they have less of an Obesity/Health problem in "Real"
> Mexican cooking vs the USA Mexican cooking?

There is much les frying in traditional Mexican Mexican food than up north.
We add a dollop of pure lard to a pot of beans to improve digestion which
means the little bit of lard is converted into protein. Stuff like that
makes a difference.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Gunner" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Rechazador de Disparates" > wrote in message
>>> ups.com...

>>> Very interesting. Of course the researchers used mostly made in the USA
>>> Mexican cooking and not the way we do it in Mexico where frying is not
>>> as
>>> popular as in the States.
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> So do you feel they have less of an Obesity/Health problem in "Real"
>> Mexican cooking vs the USA Mexican cooking?

> There is much les frying in traditional Mexican Mexican food than up
> north. We add a dollop of pure lard to a pot of beans to improve digestion
> which means the little bit of lard is converted into protein. Stuff like
> that makes a difference.

Wayne, sorry I do not buy this old-think"traditional Mexican Mexican food"
North/South hype nor that it is healthier. Viewing it just from a health
perspective, stats do not support your premise and I label the theory of
more frying in the north than the south as false stereotype that there is no
proof of. But let's put this "not the way we do it in Mexico" aside for the
moment and go back to your theory on beans, again.

Please note; Lard does not convert to protein, even in a pot of beans. Lard
is a fat regardless of how you ingest it, nor do fats aid in digestion of
beans. Fats are essential in carrying fat soluble nutrients thru the boys,
they add flavor but only if you are using real lard, not the Crisco like
waxy, over processed stuff bought in American Grocery stores.

As to the theory of a steady diet of Rice, Beans and Corn with a few chiles
and Greens? Yes, it is a good subsistence diet that forms the basic meals
for many cultures but it is not the panacea you wish it to be. Besides it
may not be right for those with low income diet related health problems.
Diversity and the 5-7 servings of veggies/fruit a day remains conventional
wisdom yet becomes a problem for low income families becasue of the cost of
fruits and veggies so they resort to highly processed packaged foods

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

>>> So do you feel they have less of an Obesity/Health problem in "Real"
>>> Mexican cooking vs the USA Mexican cooking?

>> There is much les frying in traditional Mexican Mexican food than up
>> north. We add a dollop of pure lard to a pot of beans to improve
>> digestion which means the little bit of lard is converted into protein.
>> Stuff like that makes a difference.

> Wayne, sorry I do not buy this old-think"traditional Mexican Mexican food"
> North/South hype nor that it is healthier. Viewing it just from a health
> perspective, stats do not support your premise and I label the theory of
> more frying in the north than the south as false stereotype that there is
> no proof of. But let's put this "not the way we do it in Mexico" aside
> for the moment and go back to your theory on beans, again.
>

> Please note; Lard does not convert to protein, even in a pot of beans.
> Lard is a fat regardless of how you ingest it, nor do fats aid in
> digestion of beans. Fats are essential in carrying fat soluble nutrients
> thru the boys, they add flavor but only if you are using real lard, not
> the Crisco like waxy, over processed stuff bought in American Grocery
> stores.
>

> As to the theory of a steady diet of Rice, Beans and Corn with a few
> chiles and Greens? Yes, it is a good subsistence diet that forms the basic
> meals for many cultures but it is not the panacea you wish it to be.
> Besides it may not be right for those with low income diet related health
> problems. Diversity and the 5-7 servings of veggies/fruit a day remains
> conventional wisdom yet becomes a problem for low income families becasue
> of the cost of fruits and veggies so they resort to highly processed
> packaged foods

Premise? I was simply relating my cooking/eating experience from real life
in Mexico and north of the border.

As to lard and beans... I've done enough research that more or less proves
an enzyme change that takes place which accelerates the body's ability to
absorb bean as a protein nutrient and thus not linger in the upper digestive
track thus causing fermentation and the dreaded farts.

But you know best. So go forth and enjoy life without beans while I continue
to enjoy your share of them. As I did last night with my family - toasted
corn tortillas, nice layer of refried beans in bacon grease, chicken, rajas
and salsas topping.... And today is another day and not a single fart in the
whole family.

Bye

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

..... And today is another day and not a single fart in the
> whole family.
>
> Bye

Interesting research methodology, did you use a double blind for
verification?

This is a bit lengthy but perhaps you should read this some time

http://www.godlessinamerica.com/baloneydetection.html

Again, fats do not convert to protien as you said.

I believe you recall Dr Marisela Granito research as you commented on it
previous here at AFM-C.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0426080023.htm
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...6A80A84189EEDF

If I recall corretly it was discussed that persons who regularly eat beans
builds up more bacteria to aid in digestion thus reducing flatulance( what
did you say your family does?).

It is the bacteria Wayne!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Don't forget that empirical research led to the discovery of the power of
gravity by Newton and the apple.

Science is not all it's cracked up to be when you have evidence of God
everywhere.

Cheers...

"Gunner" > wrote in message

> .... And today is another day and not a single fart in the
>> whole family.
>>
>> Bye

> Interesting research methodology, did you use a double blind for
> verification?
>
> This is a bit lengthy but perhaps you should read this some time
>
> http://www.godlessinamerica.com/baloneydetection.html
>
> Again, fats do not convert to protien as you said.
>
> I believe you recall Dr Marisela Granito research as you commented on it
> previous here at AFM-C.
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0426080023.htm
> http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...6A80A84189EEDF
>
> If I recall corretly it was discussed that persons who regularly eat beans
> builds up more bacteria to aid in digestion thus reducing flatulance( what
> did you say your family does?).
>
> It is the bacteria Wayne!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> Don't forget that empirical research led to the discovery of the power of
> gravity by Newton and the apple.

Wayne, ya can't forget something that never happened, the apple on the head
is at best a myth and certainly to infer any of Newton's laws are emperical
is pure BS. Ya see he did the math,volumes and volumes of it. If you do not
believe me, try doing some real research instead of preputating myths. you
can't keep cherrypicking your "facts" such as you have continiously done
here.

> Science is not all it's cracked up to be when you have evidence of God
> everywhere.
> Cheers...

With every thread you have changed tact and thrown out more unfounded
assumptions. Your subtle but continious assumptions to divide the "Real
Mexican Mexican" vs the Norteno is recognized as regional pride for your
adopted people, good for you! Just know when you attempt to prove this
false superiority pride thing with your make believe "Facts" you will get
challenged. Back to the OP I still encourage to gather some facts on the
health issues in
Mexico, especially in the poorer rural areas as an indicator of your
prescribed diet's sustainability.

It does not suprize me you finally tried to use the Moral Majority maneuver
to cast dispersion on science when facts do not support you.
Cheers back at ya