Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Horchata

Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? I've checked out a few
recipe's and tried them out without much luck. Went to a mex market
and asked them how they made it... powder. ugh... I did break down
and buy some and it's not bad. Just want to make my own the
traditional way.
any advise would be appreciated.
chilichick

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 9, 4:45?pm, chilichick > wrote:
> Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? I've checked out a few
> recipe's and tried them out without much luck. Went to a mex market
> and asked them how they made it... powder. ugh... I did break down
> and buy some and it's not bad. Just want to make my own the
> traditional way.

What do you mean by "traditional"? The Mexican version is not the
traditional recipe.

"Orxata" has been made for thousands of years. My ancestors who lived
in Spain did not use
rice water to make it, they grew and harvested chufas, which are a
reedlike plant that the Egyptians used to make "orxata".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 9, 5:49 pm, Rechazador de Disparates >
wrote:
> On Jun 9, 4:45?pm, chilichick > wrote:
>
> > Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? I've checked out a few
> > recipe's and tried them out without much luck. Went to a mex market
> > and asked them how they made it... powder. ugh... I did break down
> > and buy some and it's not bad. Just want to make my own the
> > traditional way.

> What do you mean by "traditional"? The Mexican version is not the
> traditional recipe.
>
> "Orxata" has been made for thousands of years. My ancestors who lived
> in Spain did not use
> rice water to make it, they grew and harvested chufas, which are a
> reedlike plant that the Egyptians used to make "orxata".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

by traditional I mean not store bought powder. and of course I can't
grow and havest chufas. so anything simpler than that I will try.
but thanks for your input.
chilichick

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 11, 9:32?am, chilichick > wrote:
> by traditional I mean not store bought powder. and of course I can't
> grow and havest chufas. so anything simpler than that I will try.
> but thanks for your input.

agua de horchata

medio kilo de arroz
canela molida
vainilla unas gotas
l lata de leche clavel (carnation)
azucar al gusto
y mucho hielo

Se pone el arroz en un recipiente hondo y se le agrega agua hasta que
se cubra totalmente y se deja remojar toda la noche, cuando esta bien
remojado se muele en la licua con agua suficiente se le agrega la
leche el az?car las gotitas de vainilla y al final la canela se sirve
bien fr?o

Buen provecho!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 11, 1:30 pm, Rechazador de Disparates >
wrote:
> On Jun 11, 9:32?am, chilichick > wrote:
>
> > by traditional I mean not store bought powder. and of course I can't
> > grow and havest chufas. so anything simpler than that I will try.
> > but thanks for your input.

> agua de horchata
>
> medio kilo de arroz
> canela molida
> vainilla unas gotas
> l lata de leche clavel (carnation)
> azucar al gusto
> y mucho hielo
>
> Se pone el arroz en un recipiente hondo y se le agrega agua hasta que
> se cubra totalmente y se deja remojar toda la noche, cuando esta bien
> remojado se muele en la licua con agua suficiente se le agrega la
> leche el az?car las gotitas de vainilla y al final la canela se sirve
> bien fr?o
>
> Buen provecho!

you know, that's how I made it the first time, but was still very
grainy... guess practice makes perfect.
Munchas gracias!
chilichick

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 12, 10:01?am, chilichick > wrote:

> you know, that's how I made it the first time, but was still very
> grainy... guess practice makes perfect.
> Munchas gracias!

Do you know any Spanish people or Sephardic Jews?

They might say "munchas grasias" instead of "muchas gracias".

http://lingua.cc.sophia.ac.jp/diksio...=%2Agracias%2A

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 12, 10:40 am, Rechazador de Disparates >
wrote:
> On Jun 12, 10:01?am, chilichick > wrote:
>
> > you know, that's how I made it the first time, but was still very
> > grainy... guess practice makes perfect.
> > Munchas gracias!

> Do you know any Spanish people or Sephardic Jews?
>
> They might say "munchas grasias" instead of "muchas gracias".
>
> http://lingua.cc.sophia.ac.jp/diksio...search_fd2=%2A...

my bad, slip of the finger... get typing too fast.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"chilichick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? Just want to make my own
> the
> traditional way.
> any advise would be appreciated.
> chilichick

A bit long but gives a version of the "original" barley recipe and a bit
different history that is here
http://www2.wwnorton.com/pob/SpottedD/hundred.htm