Old 10-06-2007, 12:45 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Horchata

Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? I've checked out a few
recipe's and tried them out without much luck. Went to a mex market
and asked them how they made it... powder. ugh... I did break down
and buy some and it's not bad. Just want to make my own the
traditional way.
any advise would be appreciated.
chilichick

Old 10-06-2007, 01:49 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 9, 4:45?pm, chilichick wrote:
Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? I've checked out a few
recipe's and tried them out without much luck. Went to a mex market
and asked them how they made it... powder. ugh... I did break down
and buy some and it's not bad. Just want to make my own the
traditional way.

What do you mean by "traditional"? The Mexican version is not the
traditional recipe.

"Orxata" has been made for thousands of years. My ancestors who lived
in Spain did not use
rice water to make it, they grew and harvested chufas, which are a
reedlike plant that the Egyptians used to make "orxata".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 9, 5:49 pm, Rechazador de Disparates
wrote:
On Jun 9, 4:45?pm, chilichick wrote:

Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? I've checked out a few
recipe's and tried them out without much luck. Went to a mex market
and asked them how they made it... powder. ugh... I did break down
and buy some and it's not bad. Just want to make my own the
traditional way.

What do you mean by "traditional"? The Mexican version is not the
traditional recipe.

"Orxata" has been made for thousands of years. My ancestors who lived
in Spain did not use
rice water to make it, they grew and harvested chufas, which are a
reedlike plant that the Egyptians used to make "orxata".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

by traditional I mean not store bought powder. and of course I can't
grow and havest chufas. so anything simpler than that I will try.
but thanks for your input.
chilichick

Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 11, 9:32?am, chilichick wrote:
by traditional I mean not store bought powder. and of course I can't
grow and havest chufas. so anything simpler than that I will try.
but thanks for your input.

agua de horchata

medio kilo de arroz
canela molida
vainilla unas gotas
l lata de leche clavel (carnation)
azucar al gusto
y mucho hielo

Se pone el arroz en un recipiente hondo y se le agrega agua hasta que
se cubra totalmente y se deja remojar toda la noche, cuando esta bien
remojado se muele en la licua con agua suficiente se le agrega la
leche el az?car las gotitas de vainilla y al final la canela se sirve
bien fr?o

Buen provecho!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 11, 1:30 pm, Rechazador de Disparates
wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:32?am, chilichick wrote:

by traditional I mean not store bought powder. and of course I can't
grow and havest chufas. so anything simpler than that I will try.
but thanks for your input.

agua de horchata

medio kilo de arroz
canela molida
vainilla unas gotas
l lata de leche clavel (carnation)
azucar al gusto
y mucho hielo

Se pone el arroz en un recipiente hondo y se le agrega agua hasta que
se cubra totalmente y se deja remojar toda la noche, cuando esta bien
remojado se muele en la licua con agua suficiente se le agrega la
leche el az?car las gotitas de vainilla y al final la canela se sirve
bien fr?o

Buen provecho!

you know, that's how I made it the first time, but was still very
grainy... guess practice makes perfect.
Munchas gracias!
chilichick

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 12, 10:01?am, chilichick wrote:

you know, that's how I made it the first time, but was still very
grainy... guess practice makes perfect.
Munchas gracias!

Do you know any Spanish people or Sephardic Jews?

They might say "munchas grasias" instead of "muchas gracias".

http://lingua.cc.sophia.ac.jp/diksio...=%2Agracias%2A

Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 12, 10:40 am, Rechazador de Disparates
wrote:
On Jun 12, 10:01?am, chilichick wrote:

you know, that's how I made it the first time, but was still very
grainy... guess practice makes perfect.
Munchas gracias!

Do you know any Spanish people or Sephardic Jews?

They might say "munchas grasias" instead of "muchas gracias".

http://lingua.cc.sophia.ac.jp/diksio...search_fd2=%2A...

my bad, slip of the finger... get typing too fast.

Old 16-06-2007, 11:33 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"chilichick" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey does anybody know how to make Horchata? Just want to make my own
the
traditional way.
any advise would be appreciated.
chilichick

A bit long but gives a version of the "original" barley recipe and a bit
different history that is here
http://www2.wwnorton.com/pob/SpottedD/hundred.htm