Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Cochinita Pibil

I have seen the call out on the ingredients list for cochinita pibil
twice now for

"½ kilo de lomo de puerco con costilla"

and I don't understand the manner in which this is added to the pork
loin or shoulder to cook in banana leaves.

Do the Yucatecaños have the rib section cut short or somehow cut to
fit the loin? I see no instructions for what to do with the ribs after
cooking. Well, I'm not so dumb as to think they don't eat the meat off
the ribs, but I still have never seen this done. So I'm asking you:
Mr. Rechazo Todo -- do you know your way around this recipe? Or are
you rejecting todo "out of hand"?

----------------------------

To All To Whom These Presents Shall Come -- Greetings:

I see that my yearly post as to why "Americans" celebrate Cinco de
Mayo again goes unanswered. Not UNRESPONDED to. I believe that nobody
knows why everybody celebrates Saint Patrick's Day any more than Cinco
de Mayo. My guess is that most of you posting here are at most in your
early 40s. I'm in my 60s. Nobody and I mean nobody celebrated Cinco de
Mayo in the USA until the 70s at the very earliest. But I have no idea
as to how it became "popular" for (dare I say it) white anglo-saxon
males to party down like a borrachero on 5 de Mayo. Thanks to all who
gave a response that doesn't border to persecution/racism.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On May 10, 6:04�pm, Secret_Ingredient > wrote:

> "½ kilo de lomo de puerco con costilla"
>
> and I don't understand the manner in which this is added to the pork
> loin or shoulder to cook in banana leaves.

lomo m.
(anatomy) loin
(zoology) back
(culinary) loin
(de un libro) spine
(agriculture) ridge between furrows
(de un cuchillo) back of a knife

Idioms:
lomos (anatomy) ribs
pasar la mano por el lomo (colloquial) to pat on the back
Inflected Forms: lomos - masc

> So I'm asking you:
> Mr. Rechazo Todo -- do you know your way around this recipe? Or are
> you rejecting todo "out of hand"?

Let it be known to all: I am a Free Thinker.

I don't have to dig a hole in the ground to steam my pork ribs over
hot rocks, and I don't need no steenking banana leaves for the sake of
"authenticity".

And I say the "M word" anytime I feel like it. Is anybody annoyed by
discussions of Mexico and Mexicans and Mexican customs and culture in
a newsgroup about Mexican cooking?

Maybe we should change the name of the group to "Politically Correct
Taco Bending".

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Yes, I know that costillas de lomo are pork ribs, but WHY are they
included? I too don't care about the steaming banana leaves, although
they add a nice serving (display) touch, don't you think?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On May 14, 1:16?pm, Secret_Ingredient > wrote:
> Yes, I know that costillas de lomo are pork ribs, but WHY are they
> included?

Mexican peasants (1) eat a lot of "lo que hay" (2) and Americans (3)
are often mystified by the words used to describe the "lo que
hay" (4).

> I too don't care about the steaming banana leaves, although they add a nice serving (display) touch, don't you think?

Whatever floats your boat.

Mexican restaurants can charge extra if they present the "lo que hay"
in an "authentic" manner. If they can't get the "traditional"
ingredients (5), they substitute something else and declare the dish
to be a regional specialty.

(1) If somebody gets upset because I typed the "M-word" and the "P-
word" together, that's too bad.

(2) Whatever they can get.

(3) United Statesians

(4) You never know for sure what you're going to get when you order
Mexican cooking. United Statesians usually confuse the words used for
the cooking process with the end result anyway.

(5) If a Mexican cook makes a dish twice, it's traditional.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Secret_Ingredient" > wrote in message
oups.com...

1. "I have seen the call out on the ingredients list for cochinita pibil
twice now for

"½ kilo de lomo de puerco con costilla"

and I don't understand the manner in which this is added to the pork
loin or shoulder to cook in banana leaves.

Do the Yucatecaños have the rib section cut short or somehow cut to
fit the loin? I see no instructions for what to do with the ribs after
cooking. "

2. "My guess is that most of you posting here are at most in your
early 40s. I'm in my 60s. Nobody and I mean nobody celebrated Cinco de
Mayo in the USA until the 70s at the very earliest."

Secret, comment 2 first, you are wrong about the age group, I'm 56, the
others can tell theirs or not, but you will find most are older than early
40s, physically anyway. .

I am interested in the CP/pork issue if that is the true point here, if
not, let me know. You stated you have seen ingredients twice now for ribs
to be cooked with the loin or shoulder(butt) in C. Pibil, what
recipes were those? Where can we view one or both of the recipes you are
discussing? Sometimes I have found the exact same recipe being used by
several of the Major recipes sites. I realize that both of would be
preferable but what is most important to you, that it was replicated by a
traditionally cooking method or the capturing the flavor?

Off hand, I would say a possible answer might be a matter of the cuts and
slight differences in Mexican, and American butchering. I can see where an
American translation might use a boneless loin and add ribs to reconstruct
it as pork crown roast. This would definately add fat into an overly lean
American pork loin as it cooks as well add flavor to the meat when
shredded/pulled, if that is the style you chose.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On May 10, 6:04�pm, Secret_Ingredient > wrote:
> I have seen the call out on the ingredients list for cochinita pibil
> twice now for
>
> "½ kilo de lomo de puerco con costilla"
>
> and I don't understand the manner in which this is added to the pork
> loin or shoulder to cook in banana leaves.

A "pib" is an earth oven.

http://gastronomia-mexicana.blogspot...pibil-una.html
has photographs of a more practical way to cook Cochinita Pibil
without digging a hole in the ground and lining it with hot rocks.

The recipe includes leg of pork, pork ribs and chicken, too.

The banana leaves are used to line a large casserole and cover the 5
pounds of meat and chicken.

After cooking for an hour, the pork and chicken is served on a piece
of the banana leaf.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Watch this:

Yaxunáh, Yucatán

http://oncetv-ipn.net/rutadelsabor/programas.htm

PS Besides the state of Puebla, we don´t celebrate 5 de mayo, (months
are not capitilized in Spanish) La Batalla de Puebla in México. The
big party is the 15 and 16 of Sept. Our Day of Independence.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On May 15, 7:53 pm, Rechazador de Disparates >
wrote:
> On May 10, 6:04?pm, Secret_Ingredient > wrote:
>
> > I have seen the call out on the ingredients list for cochinita pibil
> > twice now for

> > "? kilo de lomo de puerco con costilla"

> > and I don't understand the manner in which this is added to the pork
> > loin or shoulder to cook in banana leaves.

> A "pib" is an earth oven.
>
> http://gastronomia-mexicana.blogspot...ita-y-pollo-al...
> has photographs of a more practical way to cook Cochinita Pibil
> without digging a hole in the ground and lining it with hot rocks.
>
> The recipe includes leg of pork, pork ribs and chicken, too.
>
> The banana leaves are used to line a large casserole and cover the 5
> pounds of meat and chicken.
>
> After cooking for an hour, the pork and chicken is served on a piece
> of the banana leaf.

none of what I'm talking about has to do with pit cooking, banana
leaves, hot to heat rocks. My ONLY interest is in the purpose of the
pork ribs section. Does it keep the shoulder moister? Does it add
texture, I had Cochinita Pibil just outside of Chichén-Itzá and it
was good. Better is had at Yuca's Tacos on Hillhurst, but that's a
story for another time.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

As both recipes I refer to are almost identical, I am posting the one
link for your convenience:

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/especiales.../cochinita.asp

The other came in a local half-size newspaper for Mexicans here in Los
Angeles, I hand copied the recipe. You couldn't see it online and I'm
not taking time to transcribe it here. There is no materially relevant
point for such.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On May 17, 8:54�am, Secret_Ingredient > wrote:

> I had Cochinita Pibil just outside of Chichén-Itzá *and it
> was good. Better is had at Yuca's Tacos on Hillhurst, but that's a
> story for another time.

As I recall, Yuca's Tacos used to be an Orange Julius stand in the
late 1970's and early 1980's.

The only reason I ever tried their menu was because a few bikers would
stop there and order a taco or burrito to take up the the biker
hangout at the Griffith Observatory. I was not impressed with the food
at Yuca's, but I got more interested when one of the biker chicks
complained about how hot it was and started stripping off her leather
pants.

For my money, the best example of a Mexican taqueria in Los Feliz/
Hollywood area is the original Los Burritos on Sunset Boulevard by
Kaiser Permanente, but they still only have about 20 items on the wall
menu. And they serve chicken tamales and cheese enchiladas, instead of
pork tamales and beef enchiladas. What a gyp.

Lucy's on the corner of La Brea and Pico (or is it Venice?) used to be
one of a chain of two taquerias. The other was on Woodman in Panorama
City. Lucy's makes a great brown mole to drizzle on their tamales. I
can't figure out what is in it.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

What´s a burrito? We don´t have this dish in Mexico. Burrita, on the
ither hand, is a folded wheat tortilla with chesse and ham, it is a
common dish on the kid´s menu here, but i don´t know anything about
burritos...I have never eaten beef enchiladas, either.
Mexico City. MEXICO

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On May 19, 11:29 am, Crisanta > wrote:
> What´s a burrito?

In northern Mexico, it would be called a "burro".

> We don´t have this dish in Mexico. Burrita, on the
> ither hand, is a folded wheat tortilla with chesse and ham, it is a
> common dish on the kid´s menu here

Ham and cheese sandwiches are more traditionally Spanish than Mexican
anyway.

The tour guide that escorted our group from Madrid to Morroco and back
to Portugal told me that if I wanted variety, I should order a cheese
and ham sandwich instead...

Flour tortillas aren't unique to Mexico by any stretch of the
imagination. Arabs and Turks and Armenians and Indians all eat
unleavened flat breads made from wheat flour.

Wrap ham and cheese in a wheat flour tortilla and you have a mixture
of cultures.

Wrap toasted gusanos or chapulines or huitlacoche in a corn tortilla,
and that's as authentically Mexican as you can get.

> but i don´t know anything about
> burritos...

You can wrap anything you want in a large flour tortilla. A famous
taco stand in West Hollywood is called "Okie Dogs". They aren't from
Mexico, they are from the Japanese island of Okinawa.

They wrap pastrami and fried rice and fried onions in a tortilla. You
can't eat it all in one sitting.

It has been argued that agricultural workers invented the burrito in
the United States a century ago. Burritos were just a handy way to
carry their lunch to work.

No plastic sandwich bag needed, just wrap it in aluminum foil or a
banana leaf or whatever and reheat it with whatever heat source you
have available. The bosses at work had to tell Mexican workers that it
was unsafe to lay their burritos on the edge of the foundry pot, they
might get lead posioning.

> I have never eaten beef enchiladas, either.

To many Americans, an "enchilada" is a rolled up tortilla with cheese
or chicken or beef inside, sprinkled with shredded cheese and put into
an oven for 20 minutes to melt the cheese.

In Guadalajara, the tortilla lays flat like a pizza, the sauce is
added, it is topped with cheese, but the cheese isn't melted. The
first time I had a "Guadalajara style" enchilada, I was disappointed.

Enchiladas, tacos, tortillas, tamales, anything made with toasted
ground corn, all fall in the category of "antojos" or "antojitos",
little whims that are eaten out of hand without ceremony.

I could easily list 50 or 60 kinds of antojitos. Many Americans think
that antojitos are the very essence of Mexican cooking, and there are
researcher of Mexican cooking who would agree.

But that doesn't stop me from looking at the Spanish roots of Mexican
cooking and trying to find Chilango recipes.

I also dream about finding a Mexican restaurant that serves a
traditional comida that involves multiple courses, instead of piling
two or three kinds of antojitos on a platter, heating it in the oven
to melt the cheese toppings, and calling that a "combination plate".

Have you ever heard of a "combination plate" in DF? It is claimed that
a Mexican restaurant owner in Texas invented the "combination plate"
to reduce dishwashing costs...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default was Cochinita Pibil, Now too funny

"Rechazador de Disparates" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 19, 11:29 am, Crisanta > wrote:
> Whats a burrito?

Bugger you are certainly obstinate and very predictable, lot of superficial
fluff to confound the issues,
some oblique facts for flavor and trivia to show you are a world traveler
albeit
always with a tour guide,all this in an ill fated attempt to save your
gringo
face.
Blah, blah.... Blah, blah..... blah.

BTW, Oki Dogs do not nor did not come from Okinawa