Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Preparing Shrimp for the Grill

OK I have the pictures as promised and put them up on my site. My friend
who picked up the shrimp for me at the Ranch 99 Asian market in Phoenix
goofed up but in a good way.
These shrimp came in a very nice sized 3lb bag already de-veined and
butterflied and with the shell on. If you can find a similar product it
will save you a lot of time because of convenience. The key to grilling
shrimp is to have the shell on to retain moisture and protect the flesh
from the fire.
Anyway after throwing my fit that she bought the wrong product for my
demonstration I got a few pics and demonstrated how it is done anyway.
It takes very little time to de-vein your own shrimp and I prefer it
because I think they taste better especially if you can get freshed iced
shrimp tails.

The web page should be self explanatory:
http://www.desktoptrouble.com/shrimp/frameset.htm
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> OK I have the pictures as promised and put them up on my site. because I
> think they taste better especially if you can get freshed iced shrimp
> tails.
>
> The web page should be self explanatory:
> http://www.desktoptrouble.com/shrimp/frameset.htm

Very similiar, I use a little birdbeak knife
do you ever brine your shrimp? probably don't need to if they were shipped
in a slurry? what do you think?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> OK I have the pictures as promised and put them up on my site. because I
>> think they taste better especially if you can get freshed iced shrimp
>> tails.
>>
>> The web page should be self explanatory:
>> http://www.desktoptrouble.com/shrimp/frameset.htm

> Very similiar, I use a little birdbeak knife
> do you ever brine your shrimp? probably don't need to if they were shipped
> in a slurry? what do you think?

Never brined them. How long and what is the formula for the solution? I
usually marinate them with what ever I may have available in the fridge.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> OK I have the pictures as promised and put them up on my site. because I
>> think they taste better especially if you can get freshed iced shrimp
>> tails.
>>
>> The web page should be self explanatory:
>> http://www.desktoptrouble.com/shrimp/frameset.htm

> Very similiar, I use a little birdbeak knife
> do you ever brine your shrimp? probably don't need to if they were shipped
> in a slurry? what do you think?

What really perks up shrimp is something the Chinese and Thai do. THey
soak it briefly in cold salty water twice, rinsing between. It really
seems to firm up and refresh the shrimp. THey seem much like super
fresh, right out of the sea creatures. It works great on fish, too. No
more mushy old fish.

Melondy
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" < wrote ...
> Gunner wrote:
>> "Sonoran Dude" < wrote

>> do you ever brine your shrimp? probably don't need to if they were
>> shipped in a slurry? what do you think?

> Never brined them. How long and what is the formula for the solution? I
> usually marinate them with what ever I may have available in the fridge.

To make a brine for one pound of shell-on shrimp, dissolve 1 cup of salt and
1/2 cup of sugar in 2 cups of boiling water. Put in a large bowl, add ice
cubes, and allow to cool. Stir in your shrimp and refrigerate for 1 hour. If
you wish to brine peeled shrimp, cut the time to 30 minutes. Drain and rinse
when finished. Pat dry.

Kosher or sea salt is good to use. Do not use Iodized Salt I frequently use
one cup of Morton's Quick Tender, nitrates and sugar in my brining and add
some extra brown sugar. Now the fun part is being creative with flavors, try
lemon, orange, lime, tamarind, teas, allspices, chiles, whatever you like to
throw in there just restrict the acids so you do not "cook" it, just think
of it as a thin salty marinade, salt being the key process to pulling the
natural liquids and then reintroducing the brining flavor back into the
cells.

Brining a Pork Loin or Pork chops is really good also and you can go for 2
days for chops and up to 4 days depending on the size of a roast. This is
the best way I know to moisten today's extra lean pork. The Packers are
doing this by shipping them "enhanced" or "flavor valued" and adding 10-12
% to your bill.

Weaker salt solutions do not work as you might imagine. It is less salty,
but it will not plump the meats up. So if salt is an issue, don't brine.